PDA

View Full Version : Rec a Non-Nursing Bra for LARGE breasted momma?

Bens Momma
10-13-2009, 07:11 PM
I HATE bra shopping and I'm desperate for help :praying:!! I have always been a well endowed woman and have had trouble finding proper fitting bras. The last time I went bra shopping at Vanity Fair I asked to be fitted and told the saleswoman that I wanted a supportive, seemless bra for everyday wear. After trying on a bazillion bras I came home with a style that I thought might work and bought 4. Anyway I need new bras and don't want to subject myself to the torture of sorting through many that don't work so does anyone have one that they love? Probably looking at a DDD or larger depending on the style, brand, etc. Seemless and supportive are my only requests.

Thanks for your help!
R.
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:

Clarity
10-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I hate it too....when I was pregnant I just walked about the bra section crying because I hated having to buy bras at that size. Ever since that day I buy my bra's exclusively from Lane Bryant. They're from the Cacique line and are supportive and comfortable. Here's the style: http://tinyurl.com/yl5vszw

michellerw
10-13-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm a big fan of the Fantasie 4520 (I'm spilling out of a 40E at 20 weeks), but if you're looking for padded, the 4510 is fantastic. I've worn both and I'm really happy with the 4510 right now, while I need more padded coverage.

If you send breakoutbras.com your measurements, they'll help you get a good fit.

happymom
10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't have a specific item#, but I know Wacoal is highly recommended for the "well-endowed". Pricey though.

vejemom
10-14-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm not too well-endowed, but from what I've seen, Chantal bras might be worth a try. My SIL used to swear by Fredrick's of Hollywood (of all strange places!), and she was not the only larger chested woman I've known who loved their bras.

lizzywednesday
10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Chantal, Wacoal, Cacique (Lane Bryant), Soma Intimates (several styles run through DDD) and Frederick's are wonderful.

The best part about Fredericks, IMO, is they don't charge you extra for sizes over "C" cups like Victoria's Secret does. Also, they carry loads of cute and supportive bras in "well-endowed" sizes.

Delivery is fast and they often have free shipping offers.

I <3 Frederick's.

nellonello
10-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I am a DDD, E or F depending on the bra. I used to only wear Wacoal but in the last year have gone to Lane Bryant and have loved their bras (and they are cheaper).

sansdieu
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Wacoal, wacoal, wacoal.

Recent good deals at Garnet Hill (they have larger sizes, as it turns out), and at figleaves.com.

JTsMom
10-15-2009, 08:10 AM
This is my new favorite:
http://www.lanebryant.com/product/Cacique/Bras/full-coverage-underwire/Back-Smoothing-Bra/25870/pc/4043/pslot/1/sc/112/c/4044.uts

Jacksmommy2b
10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I am a 40G (as of yesterday :) I am PG, but have always been large busted and have never, ever gone bra shopping and not ended up crying until yesterday. At the advice of my mom's seamstress we ended up at a corset shop. (MiLady in Jenkintown, PA in case anyone is close!)

I have never in my entire life had a bra shopping experience like this one. I went into the fitting room with the woman who worked there. She looked (yes LOOKED!) at me in my current bra and left the fitting room only to come back with three seperate styles, two of which fit perfectly and one needed a smaller band before fitting just right. Seriously, this girl didn't even whip out a tapemeasure before changing my life.

I ended up buying a Wacoal and an Anita (nursing). I spent about $100 - which is wayyyyy more than I have ever spent on bras before, but it is so worth the money to me to have skipped the usual circus of depression that usually goes along with bra shopping and to have two really good quality bras that fit perfectly and are so supportive. I'm planning on keeping my eyes open for sales and grab a few more.

I have never tried Lane Bryant, but Victoria Secret doesn't even come close to having a size to fit me and while I can squish into Fredrick's largest size - it really isn't a good fit. I have gotten lucky in the past to settle with a Bali DDD in a larger strap size, or I just order from Bravissimo and ship back what doesn't fit. (which isn't cheap either)

Try looking for a corset shop near you, I can't tell you what a difference it makes.

mommylamb
10-15-2009, 02:12 PM
Wacoal, wacoal, wacoal.

:yeahthat: I also like English Fantasy. Nordstom's has the best bra department of any of the big stores, and they actually have knowledgeable salespersons.

I hate having large breasts... I hate that I look like I'm trying to show off cleavage when I'm trying to hide it. I hate that the bras I have to wear in order to hold them in often come up higher than a lot of "normally" cut shirts. I just hate it.

sansdieu
10-15-2009, 10:03 PM
:yeahthat:

I hate having large breasts... I hate that I look like I'm trying to show off cleavage when I'm trying to hide it. I hate that the bras I have to wear in order to hold them in often come up higher than a lot of "normally" cut shirts. I just hate it.

Oh, don't even get me started. :)))

I honestly don't know why some women go for implants. I hate having large breasts, too!! I cannot look work-appropriate no matter what I do or wear. I'm always either showing way too much cleavage or wearing something too loose on the top. I used to love tailored jackets. Now, if a jacket is big enough to button over my breasts, it requires some serious tailoring to not make the rest of me look like a quarterback. All the normal size t-shirts I buy turn into midriff-bearing tops because so much fabric is lost covering the breasts.

Bra-shopping doesn't make me cry anymore because I simply won't go. I mostly buy on-line or have my mother do the hunting.

Did anybody else get the permanently-huge breasts after pregnancy/ breastfeeding? I was a size 36C not even 3 years ago! And I'm not a 36 DDD/E or F, depending on the brand.

fivi2
10-16-2009, 10:03 AM
There have been a few threads on this here and in the lounge. (search some of the brand names mentioned and they will come up).

My first rec is to get a professional fitting. I go to an independent store that I love. Others here like Nordstroms, I haven't been, but a friend had a bad experience (but posters here love it). I do not recommend Victoria's Secret or Dillards/Macys/etc. If the store doesn't carry over a DD, they are going to force you into a DD even if that isn't your size! (ime)

I love Fantasie (especially the t-shirt bra, don't know official name/number). I have had good luck with Freya and Goddess as well. Different styles fit differently, though so it is best to try on.

I recently bought a Chantelle (I think I bought the Legende) from a Nordstrom's sale and I LOVE it. It might be my new favorite!

It looks like I need to try Lane Bryant and Wacoal!

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Independent lingerie/corset shops are usually the best, followed by Nordstrom's, IME. (I <3 Dain Shoppe in Morristown, NJ but cannot do my regular shopping there as they are too far for me to travel on a weekend unless I schedule some family time as well.)

I have never had a bad experience with Nordstrom's, so I may simply have wonderful sales clerks in my area, regardless of age. (In fact, my "miracle fitting" was with a clerk who couldn't have been older than her early 20s.)

Since Victoria's Secret launched their "Pink" line a few years ago, I haven't been able to get a salesgirl to even LOOK in my direction ... so I no longer patronize their store. (Also, they don't carry over a DD cup, the quality of the bras has gone down and the customer service has severely degraded as well. No, thanks.)

I did get wonderful customer service at Soma Intimates the few times I have shopped there ... the salesgirls at the one nearest me are all VERY busty, so it made it very easy to get empathy about cute bras being sold out! (Unfortunately, one of the local-to-me stores insists upon telephoning when they're having a sale ... which is frustrating because I get sales alerts and coupons via e-mail!!! This may discontinue our relationship.)

Lastly, I have never been treated better by sales clerks at a chain clothing store than at Lane Bryant. The women who work there know their product inside and out and are WONDERFUL to work with. (Brava!) I will continue to spend money there in the future because of this wonderful attitude!

sansdieu
10-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Just a little word of warning to those heading out to those wonderful Lane Bryant stores (and they are wonderful indeed) --they typically only carry larger cups in larger band sizes. E.g. they would have a 40DDD, but not 36DDD. Hopefully, that would save someone a trip.

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Just a little word of warning to those heading out to those wonderful Lane Bryant stores (and they are wonderful indeed) --they typically only carry larger cups in larger band sizes. E.g. they would have a 40DDD, but not 36DDD. Hopefully, that would save someone a trip.

Actually, that's not 100% true.

I am currently a 36DDD and bought a bra in that size at a Lane Bryant recently.

Good luck trying to find a 34 or 32 band, though!!!

sansdieu
10-16-2009, 04:25 PM
I am currently a 36DDD and bought a bra in that size at a Lane Bryant recently.

Good luck trying to find a 34 or 32 band, though!!!

Mine doesn't carry any, and they told me the other ones don't either -- as a rule (of course, as your example shows, there are always exceptions). Too bad, they looked like nice supportive bras. Cacique has a wider selection of band and cup sizes, but there are no Cacique stores in my area, and I'm reluctant to buy new brand sight unseen online, which is why I'm sticking to Wacoal for the time being.

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Mine doesn't carry any, and they told me the other ones don't either -- as a rule (of course, as your example shows, there are always exceptions). Too bad, they looked like nice supportive bras. Cacique has a wider selection of band and cup sizes, but there are no Cacique stores in my area, and I'm reluctant to buy new brand sight unseen online, which is why I'm sticking to Wacoal for the time being.

There's always online ... all sizes are available online:

http://www.lanebryant.com/cacique/4043/index.cat

BTW, the Cacique stores should be next to/inside the Lane Bryant stores ... or, at least that's how they are here in NJ!

MontrealMum
10-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Did anybody else get the permanently-huge breasts after pregnancy/ breastfeeding? I was a size 36C not even 3 years ago! And I'm not a 36 DDD/E or F, depending on the brand.

Yes, and I'm not happy about it. I started a thread about this this summer during Nordstrom's bra sale. I have the problem of being a small band size (preferable 32, sometimes 34) with a large cup size. My size is not stable because I continue to fluctuate weight-wise, but it's looking like 32/34B is never coming my way again.

My favorite brands are Natori, Wacoal, and thanks to the ladies here :jammin: Chantelle. If you get fitted professionally, buy one or two, then head to your local TJ Maxx or Rack. You'd be surprised at the high end brands you can find there in the $20 range.

catsnkid
10-18-2009, 06:47 PM
I was 36 DD pre pregnancy and am now 38 or 40 E in nursing bras. I found a supportive, non-underwire maternity bra (not nursing) at Mimi Maternity. I too had no luck at Lane Bryant - they sold 38D but not 36DD. I used to wear Bali's bras- bought about 7 in one style at Kohl's. Okay, I guess I do like Kohls for women's underwear, just posted I don't like women's clothes there.

stellablue19
10-20-2009, 05:12 PM
I actually had to go buy a new bra yesterday.

I went to Nordstrom to get fitted - which is a HORRIFYING experience - but well worth it if you can endure it.

I ended up with the Wacoal 85276 Awareness (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2992917?cm_cat=datafeed&cm_pla=underwear%2Flingerie:women:bra&cm_ite=wacoal_%27awareness%27_soft_cup_bra:235966&cm_ven=Froogle&mr:trackingCode=E8F2CFFD-D981-DE11-B712-001422107090&mr:referralID=NA) bra. So far, it's great. It is very supportive without an underwire! :bighand:

It was $60, but worth it because Wacoals last a long time.

lizzywednesday
10-21-2009, 07:49 AM
I actually had to go buy a new bra yesterday.

I went to Nordstrom to get fitted - which is a HORRIFYING experience - but well worth it if you can endure it.

What's so horrifying about it? Another woman looks at you in your bra? She breaks out a tape measure? Maybe she jiggles you into the new cups? She's not copping a feel!!!

Bra-fittings are worth the extra time & effort because wearing an ill-fitting bra damages breast tissue! Taking care of your boobs now will save you $$$ in breast surgery later.

Whenever I put on or lose weight, I get re-fitted for bras. So, I've been heading to Nordstrom for their customer service ... oh, and the fact that they carry cup-sizes above a "DD."

TwoBees
10-21-2009, 11:48 AM
What's so horrifying about it?
This. The larger I get, the less modest I become. During a fitting I mean. The larger you are, the harder it is just to slap on a bra and go.

Right now I am in maternity bras, and have not yet ventured to non-maternity bras, but I believe figleaves.com carries sizes larger than DD.

sansdieu
10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, and I'm not happy about it. I started a thread about this this summer during Nordstrom's bra sale. I have the problem of being a small band size (preferable 32, sometimes 34) with a large cup size. My size is not stable because I continue to fluctuate weight-wise, but it's looking like 32/34B is never coming my way again.

My favorite brands are Natori, Wacoal, and thanks to the ladies here :jammin: Chantelle. If you get fitted professionally, buy one or two, then head to your local TJ Maxx or Rack. You'd be surprised at the high end brands you can find there in the $20 range.

Molly, I can see that your DS and my DD are almost the same age (mine was born 9/07), so it's been over 2 years for you as well. I guess there is no going back for us now? I am going to try to find your thread.

I used to buy Wacoal at Marshalls all the time (for under $20!)-- back when I was still a "normal" size. But I have never seen my current bra size at Marshalls or TJMaxx (the Rack is coming next Spring). But they do tend to be hit-or-miss kind of stores.

sansdieu
10-21-2009, 12:07 PM
What's so horrifying about it? Another woman looks at you in your bra? She breaks out a tape measure? Maybe she jiggles you into the new cups? She's not copping a feel!!!

Bra-fittings are worth the extra time & effort because wearing an ill-fitting bra damages breast tissue! Taking care of your boobs now will save you $$$ in breast surgery later.

Whenever I put on or lose weight, I get re-fitted for bras. So, I've been heading to Nordstrom for their customer service ... oh, and the fact that they carry cup-sizes above a "DD."

Do they ever have bra sales at Nordstrom's? I am ashamed to admit it; there is one not even 5 min from my house (but it's at the mall, and I never ever go there). I had no idea they did bra fittings OR sold bra sizes over DD.

lizzywednesday
10-21-2009, 12:35 PM
This. The larger I get, the less modest I become. During a fitting I mean. The larger you are, the harder it is just to slap on a bra and go.

Right now I am in maternity bras, and have not yet ventured to non-maternity bras, but I believe figleaves.com carries sizes larger than DD.

Yes, figleaves.com is EXCELLENT for larger cup sizes.

(Also, please note that due to an earlier weight gain and my current pregnancy, I am a 36 DDD, so I'm not trying to put anyone down.)

Do they ever have bra sales at Nordstrom's? I am ashamed to admit it; there is one not even 5 min from my house (but it's at the mall, and I never ever go there). I had no idea they did bra fittings OR sold bra sizes over DD.

Yes, they do have bra sales. They are few and far between, but they exist. The sales clerk should have asked you if you wanted to receive coupons or other notices either by mail or in your e-mail as she rang you up.

I haven't gotten anything lately, but we also moved last year(!)

MontrealMum
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
Sansdieu, here is my thread on bras: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=329636 I don't have tons of luck with TJ Maxx, but I've scored some great deals on Natori and Wacoal at the Rack. Also, if you go to the Nordstrom's site online you can sign up to receive emails from them. It can be a lot in your inbox to do this with a store, but that's how I found out about the bra sale. We don't have them up here, so I never would have known otherwise, and I was able to order some online and take advantage of the sale. [just looked, "join our email list" is at the bottom right on the home page]

I figured that over 2 years out from pregnancy and 1 from bfing that things might return to "normal" but I don't think I'll ever see a B-cup again. We're hoping to have one more DC, so we'll see, but I'm not too happy about it. Better bras, and a fitting has done a bit more towards my back pain, though not the shoulder pain from straps :(

sansdieu
10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Sansdieu, here is my thread on bras: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=329636 I don't have tons of luck with TJ Maxx, but I've scored some great deals on Natori and Wacoal at the Rack. Also, if you go to the Nordstrom's site online you can sign up to receive emails from them. It can be a lot in your inbox to do this with a store, but that's how I found out about the bra sale. We don't have them up here, so I never would have known otherwise, and I was able to order some online and take advantage of the sale. [just looked, "join our email list" is at the bottom right on the home page]

(

Thanks, I will sign up with Nordie's right now. Thanks for posting the link to your thread; lots of good info on it. After checking out the styles, though, I have another question -- are most of them padded? If there's one thing I absolutely cannot stand, it's a padded bra.

I wonder how much damage has been done to my breast tissue already -- after having worn ill-fitting bras for the last 2.5 years.:hopmad:

MontrealMum
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
Some of the bras are padded, you have to pick and choose. The padded ones I have are only lightly padded - no need to add more up there! This Natori (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2890088/0~2376776~2374327~6010810~6010819?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010819&P=4) and this Chantelle (http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2891179/0~2376776~2374327~6010810~6010819?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6010819&P=1) When I say "lightly" I mean in comparison to some of the VS I used to have which are much thicker. I also have the Wacoal #85185, #65149, and #65124 which are all underwire, but not padded.

Swimfreak78
10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
I had luck w/Lady Grace a few weeks ago.

boolady
10-22-2009, 09:54 AM
Wacoal, wacoal, wacoal.

This. I have tried others, and only Wacoal makes me feel totally locked and loaded, to quote Stacy London.