PDA

View Full Version : Would you say something about this?

HIU8
10-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Tomorrow DS's preschool class is visiting the nursing home on their school campus. They are specifically going to see the small sanctuary and the Torah,so they won't have any close exposure to the nursing home residents--other than walking past the residents who sit in the lobby. My concern is that in the cold and flu season, nursing homes usually ask that if you are sick you do not come (family, staff etc...) Most have somewhat strict guidelines about this. I cannot believe that they are allowing a class of 4 yr olds into the building (there are at least 5 kids in the class who have colds right now). I would like to say something (like do you think it's wise to take kids with colds into a nursing home with people who may be otherwise compromised?). I used to work in this industry so I'm a little more sensitive to it I think.

ourbabygirl
10-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Yeah, I think I would... it's good of you to think of that!
Could you reschedule to the spring or some less-contagious time? Maybe when the residents are in the cafeteria or somewhere else?

bigpassport
10-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh my goodness, I would say something if I were you. They may just be so focused on the activity itself they haven't thought about the health concerns. If they don't listen to you, at least you said something.

ett
10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
I agree. I would absolutely say something about this.

KrisM
10-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Did they set it up with the nursing home or are they just showing up? If it was set up, I would think the nursing home already approved it.

mom2binsd
10-13-2009, 11:13 PM
I work in nursing homes, was at 2 today, and both had BIG signs at the front entrance with info on illness and visitors, masks, sanitizer and gloves were also provided if someone needed them.

If the kids aren't going to be going into residents room and staying together in a group it might be fine, although I can tell you the residents would LOVE nothing more than to be able to watch and interact with the kids....so many have no family or visitors, it breaks my heart some days!