PDA

View Full Version : Best bottle for 8 month old to minimize gas?

Shiny
10-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Do 8 month olds even get gas? I've noticed a very recent pattern of crying in the stroller, car seat, or bedtime if he just received a bottle. Can it be gas? If so, is there a recommended bottle? I am using Gerber 1st Essentials bottles now. My bottles are just over 2 weeks old. I know the tips about angles, baby and bottle, and latching and no sucking on empties etc...

He was just adopted 2 weeks ago so I don't have 8 months experience at this.

TIA

Momof3Labs
10-13-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd wonder if the formula you are using agrees with him, rather than the bottles being the problem at that age. What formula are you using? What was he on before?

Congratulations on your new arrival!!

Shiny
10-14-2009, 04:42 AM
Enfamil Premium - we transitioned him to it upon arrival and he has been on it exclusively for over a week. We are introducing stage 1 and stage 2 foods.

Kitten007
10-14-2009, 04:52 AM
My little guy is/was EBF and boy does that kid have gas!! Saw the Ped on Monday and she said that some kids just have gas. We have been using the Mylicon Drops to help him relieve the pressure. Might try burping him more? It also could just be his body is adjusting to all the new stuff and soon the gas problem will stop. Ped wanted me to give my little one, one supplemental formula bottle a day and introduce him to cereal. She told me we might see some more gas as he gets used to a bottle of formula and the new foods in his diet. If you are concerned, call the on-call nurse for advice. (That way you don't have to go in.)

And last but not least.....

CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!!!!! :yay:

srhs
10-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Just some random things here to consider...

As far as bottles go, I think the Dr Browns are the best for reducing air intake. They are a PITB to clean, though. Second choice would be the Playtex Drop-Ins system--much lower maintenance.

You can also try the "sensitive" or "gentle" version of formula.

And, yes, simethicone drops if it really is gas. You should be able to tell though if the problem is gas. Both of my DS have had gas from birth.

If it's mostly after feedings, have you looked at reflux (or silent reflux if he doesn't spit up)?