PDA

View Full Version : Evenflo Embrace Car Seat

Shinerbabe
10-14-2009, 11:46 AM
I read the reviews in the Baby Bargains book on the Evenflo Embrace Car seats. but my neighbor gave me a Evenflo Embrace Car Seat with two bases. They are in very good condition and I know the history of the seat. I am trying to figure out if I should buy another car seat with a better review and rating? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Joolsplus2
10-14-2009, 11:50 AM
As long as it's not recalled and fits properly in your car, it's not dangerous. The real main problem with this model is that the handle must be put down when in the car AND there must be 1.5 inches between the seat/handle and the front seatback. Only the largest of cars meet that requirement without the front seat passengers sitting bolt upright with their knees in the dashboard, I think. Usually it fits very small babies well, though, and is light, and the base installs well enough in most cars.

mom2binsd
10-14-2009, 11:53 AM
You want to make sure that the seat has not expired, and that the seat will install correctly in your vehicle. Evenflo's must have the handle down while driving and some even have a requirement for a certain amount of space between seat and the back of the front seat. If the seat works for you and your vehicle and then I'd use it and save the money.

Also check for recalls like this..http://safety.evenflo.com/cs/sc/cssc99_RD.phtml?rid=EFR18&src=WEB

I know there are a number of other seats with higher weight/height limits that are a little easier to use, like the Graco Snugride (regular or 32), the Chicco KeyFit30, these allow the handle down and will last most kiddo's until past their 1st birthday.

AnnieW625
10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
We had a hand me down Evenflo Discovery from 2002 and DH actually liked the seat more than the Graco; he liked the shape of the handle and thought it was easier to carry. It worked fine in the center of the Corolla. It was a nice second seat. For a free seat that you might use for a little less than a year if you get a good install in your car then try it out and see how you like it.

Shinerbabe
10-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful post! It was very helpful.

I did check and this car seat was not recalled or expired.

I did not know about the handle having to be down and the extra spaced need. I will see if I can find instructions on line to make sure we are not missing any other important information. Also will test to see if it will fit in our SUV and not have our knees in the dashboard to make it work.

Is it the police station or fire station where they check to make sure your car seat is insulted correctly? I was part of car accident with many cars and a baby flew out of car seat in another car, so I know the importance of getting a car seat insulted correctly and making sure baby is locked in.

jjordan
10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful post! It was very helpful.

I did check and this car seat was not recalled or expired.

I did not know about the handle having to be down and the extra spaced need. I will see if I can find instructions on line to make sure we are not missing any other important information. Also will test to see if it will fit in our SUV and not have our knees in the dashboard to make it work.

Is it the police station or fire station where they check to make sure your car seat is insulted correctly? I was part of car accident with many cars and a baby flew out of car seat in another car, so I know the importance of getting a car seat insulted correctly and making sure baby is locked in.

Try this link (https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL) to find a CPST. Police and fire stations will often install your seat even if they aren't certified car seat techs. They may or may not do a good job! So you're better off finding someone that you know for sure is certified. The link I posted also has a link on it about what you should expect from a CPST - be sure to read through that so you'll have an idea of what should happen at your appointment.

MoJo
10-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Thanks, jjordan! That link was very helpful - I finally found someone in my county, something I had been unable to find via other searches.

I'm a slow-paced detail-oriented person who gets nervous when others watch me. So I feel pretty confident that I installed my seats correctly, because I spent a lot of time looking at the manuals while I was installing them.

However, I think anyone WATCHING me do that would be very frustrated and impatient, and then I would be more stressed or worse. Plus, if I actually took my child, there's NO WAY I could install the seat and watch her at the same time.

Does anyone know if they always make you uninstall and reinstall the seat? I just want to make sure it really is done correctly, and maybe get help with figuring out what to do with #2.

BTW, thanks for the laugh on the "insulted car seat." I might have gotten my car seat "insulted correctly" too when I was trying to install for the first time in the rain!

codex57
10-14-2009, 02:51 PM
Try this link (https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap.bin/apps/assess/webmembers/tool?pToolCode=TAB9&pCategory1=TAB9_CERTSEARCH&Webid=SAFEKIDSCERTSQL) to find a CPST. Police and fire stations will often install your seat even if they aren't certified car seat techs. They may or may not do a good job! So you're better off finding someone that you know for sure is certified. The link I posted also has a link on it about what you should expect from a CPST - be sure to read through that so you'll have an idea of what should happen at your appointment.

A CPST should make you install it. THe point is so you learn to install it in case they aren't around to help you. At the check, if they're there to make sure it's installed correctly, does it matter if you are the one doing the actual installing?

And I'd still describe your install and any questions you have on here. Unfortunately, even if they're a certified CPST, it doesn't mean they really know what they're doing. Most do it cuz their jobs require them to get the certification, not that they're actually passionate about proper usage.

AnnieW625
10-14-2009, 05:09 PM
A CPST should make you install it. THe point is so you learn to install it in case they aren't around to help you. At the check, if they're there to make sure it's installed correctly, does it matter if you are the one doing the actual installing?

And I'd still describe your install and any questions you have on here. Unfortunately, even if they're a certified CPST, it doesn't mean they really know what they're doing. Most do it cuz their jobs require them to get the certification, not that they're actually passionate about proper usage.

I agree with what Codex says and of course in any industry you can find people who really know what they are doing and you can find others who only do it for the pay and don't really give a rats a$$ about how they are doing it and if they are doing it correctly. I happened to search and in my home town in Norcal (not where I live now) of 50K people the only people who were licensed were employees of the local police department. I never saw a CPST tech that is listed on the website, but my friend who is a sworn CHP officer and the "car seat" guru/safety officer at his local CHP (CA Highway Patrol) in Monterey, CA installed our Marathon exactly as has been described on this site and I am not afraid to ask him if I have questions even though he is not certified per the database. I would also want the CPS Tech if I did see one to have me install the seat too so I knew I was doing it right.