PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here enrolled their DC in SwimAmerica?

MMEand1
10-14-2009, 02:03 PM
My DC (6 and 4) are enrolled in the swimming program SwimAmerica. My DS just had his first class last night and the program seems very in-depth! They have different stations/levels that they have to meet in order to move up. He was giver a certificate last night and each time he achieves a new skill, he gets a sticker and gets to move to a new station. It costs $62 for 6 30min lessons and we had to purchase special SwimAmerica swimsuits for the class, too. I'm thinking that it will be a while before either of my DC "graduates" from the swimming program!

Anyone else put their children in a SwimAmerica class and if so, what are your thoughts on it?

Oh, and we put them in lessons this past summer at the YMCA and my DS's class was AWFUL! He spent the two weeks in a life jacket and did not learn how to swim at all...I wanted to put him in a class where he would actually learn to swim.

elektra
10-14-2009, 02:10 PM
I've never heard of that but it sounds cool. I think swimming lessons are so important. DD's swim lessons weren't all that great this year either. I am hoping a private lesson next year will be better for her.

lilycat88
10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
I used to teach in the SwimAmerica program years ago. From what I see, it hasnt changed much. It's a good program. There is more focus on the "competitive" strokes than on things like elementary backstroke. That part I liked. I've taught the YMCA program, the American Red Cross program, various "make it up as you go along" programs, and SwimAmerica SwimAmerica was by far my favorite.

jamesmom
10-14-2009, 09:37 PM
No, but I think we are switching to a SwimAmerica program at a nearby health club after this semester at the swim school that my DC are attending. DS and DD are currently in the American Red Cross Program. DS has been "stuck" at Level 1 for 2 1/2 years (taking lessons 8 months a year). I know some kids take longer than others to get through the program but his lack of progress is getting a little ridiculous. He's 6 and currently swimming with 4 year olds. I want to change it up a little, put him in a different program and see how he does in a different program and center, which also happens to be much closer to our home.

mom2binsd
10-14-2009, 10:28 PM
WE have an excellent Swim America program in our little city...it is extremely well run, the instructors have great training and there is a lot of consistency between instructors. There is always a supervisor who watches over and is there to deal with any "behavior" issues, ie kids like mine chit chatting too much/too loudly and needing a reminder to wait quietly.

It is one of the best programs for children to learn excellent fundamental swimming skills. Once they make it through all 10 levels they are invited to join the swim team. I know many kiddo's who have received all 10 stickers pretty quickly but they really cater to each child's needs and progress.

Max of 4 kids in each class (they call them lanes), but often it's only 2 or 3. I think the cost is appropriate given the program. We are not required to purchase goggles/caps or swimsuits from them, they have a small store but also give the names of other places in town to get stuff. They do not require wetsuits or specific styles of swimsuits either.

AngelaS
10-15-2009, 07:11 AM
We did when we lived in Iowa and it was GREAT! It was definitely more expensive than the Y classes, but well worth it--small classes, lots of attention and the kids became goods swimmers. The kids I nannied took SA classes for years and then my oldest took them--I highly recommend SA! :)