PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaids dress for 2 mos post-partum

corrie23
10-14-2009, 03:48 PM
My brother is getting married next Memorial Day weekend and I have been asked to be a bridesmaid. The bridesmaids are to wear a knee-length black dress of their choosing. The wedding is an evening wedding and fairly formal I think.

Now, the tricky part-I'm due at the end of March; 2 mos. before the wedding. I will be delivering via c section, and I will be breastfeeding so I need a dress that works with what might still be a tender scar on my abdomen and allow for BFing access without needing to get half naked. To add to the challenge, I'm on strict bed rest with pregnancy complications and there's the possibility that I will be until I deliver (hopefully at term).

So, since I have no idea where to even begin, does anyone have advice for what to look for in a dress, where to look (obviously online), etc.?

Thanks!

lowrioh
10-14-2009, 04:25 PM
I would start out looking at Nordstroms online. They have an EXCELLENT return policy so you could even get a couple of dresses and return the ones that don't work. I got this one for my sister's wedding and it was very flattering. It is stretchy but I think you would have to unzip the dress for BF.
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2942268/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014148?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014148&P=2

ilfaith
10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Maybe a wrap dress with a nursing cami underneath (depending on whether that would be comfortable over your incision). I know that's my go-to look while nursing since it provides easy access.

http://www.shopstyle.com/browse?fts=black+wrap+dress

Some of the dresses at the link above are fairly simple (as expected in a "little black dress"), but could be dressed up with the right accessories.

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 10:45 AM
My sister will be in a similar situation when our brother gets married ... thankfully, we're not bridesmaids (which would be hellacious for us because I'll be 7mos pregnant and my sister will be 2 mos postpartum)

I offered her a dress I had from White House/Black Market that is 3/4 sleeve, hits at the knee, Empire waist and cross-front. I do not believe they carry it anymore, as I purchased it last Fall. It's a jersey-knit fabric and very forgiving, although my husband hates it.

Do you know anything else about the dress code for the attendants? Are all fabrics "allowed"? Or is the bride thinking satin & lace?

corrie23
10-17-2009, 07:13 PM
My sister will be in a similar situation when our brother gets married ... thankfully, we're not bridesmaids (which would be hellacious for us because I'll be 7mos pregnant and my sister will be 2 mos postpartum)

Do you know anything else about the dress code for the attendants? Are all fabrics "allowed"? Or is the bride thinking satin & lace?

LOL-I can't say that first part made me feel any better....I think that any fabric would be fine within reason. My future SIL doesn't seem terribly picky, but I would want it to be appropriate for the occasion. I mean, even as a guest I don't think I'd wear a cotton dress to an evening wedding unless it was specifically billed as a casual affair ykwim?

lizzywednesday
10-18-2009, 01:13 PM
LOL-I can't say that first part made me feel any better....I think that any fabric would be fine within reason. My future SIL doesn't seem terribly picky, but I would want it to be appropriate for the occasion. I mean, even as a guest I don't think I'd wear a cotton dress to an evening wedding unless it was specifically billed as a casual affair ykwim?

Completely know what you mean.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what I'll be doing dress-wise myself because I've seen a few that would totally work ... and then I look at the price-tags and sigh. (I can justify spending more on a dress if I can re-wear it, but I haven't got any other major formal events this year!)