PDA

View Full Version : Spin-Off of Baking Thread - Muffin Recipes?

jenmcadams
10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Anybody want to share their yummy muffin recipes -- healthy/not healthy, fruit/non-fruit...I'll take any recipes you have and love.

Mods, could we leave this thread here for a day or two before moving it to what's cooking? I was hoping to get some of the same posters who pasted to the baking thread.

Thanks in advance!

niccig
10-14-2009, 04:17 PM
I use this recipe to make pumpkin bread and pumpkin muffins. I do sub a few things in,

1/2 cup applesauce and 1/2 oil instead of 1 cup oil
Sugar I put in 1/2 white and 1/2 brown
I use 1/2 wholegrain and 1/2 normal flour

It does taste better the next day.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Downeast-Maine-Pumpkin-Bread/Detail.aspx

m448
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
these are my four favorites and the blueberry one is actually an "add any fruit" base so it's great for raspberries, etc.

Hillbilly Housewife's oatmeal muffin slightly modified by me:

1 cup Rolled Oats
1 cup Yogurt, can use soured milk or powdered buttermilk
1 medium egg
1/2 cup Brown Sugar, can use granulated sugar
1/3 cup oil

1 1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1. In a large bowl combine the oatmeal and buttermilk or sour milk. If you have the chance, let it stand for a few minutes, for the oatmeal to absorb some of the buttermilk.

2. Add the egg, sugar and oil. Beat very well with a wire whisk. Add the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Mix again, until all of the dry particles are moistened. Do not over beat. It should only take about a 20 or 30 strokes by hand to mix it up enough.

3. Spoon the batter into a dozen well oiled muffin cups. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Serve hot.

fruit muffins (I'd copy and paste but the instructions are mixed with pics):

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/09/fruit-muffins.html

banana muffins (a tyler florence recipe modified by me)

http://maricucu.blogspot.com/2009/06/banana-muffins.html

and finally a chocolate muffin that I love to indulge a bit:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/chocolate-breakfast-muffins-recipe

JenaW
10-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I have three really good ones that we love and make regularly, plus a few others. My favs are blueberry muffins with a crumb topping, carrot muffins (+/- cream cheese frosting) and double chocolate zucchini muffins. If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig up the recipes and post later this eve. Right now laundry is calling, and dinner will be following soon after.

kristenk
10-14-2009, 04:28 PM
Here's our favorite pumpkin muffin recipe (slightly modified from the recipe for Addictive Pumpkin Muffins on allrecipes.com):

2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
6 eggs
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C). Grease three 12 cup muffin pans, or line with paper muffin liners. (I usually skip the paper liners for these. It seems to work better for me that way.)

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground cloves.

In a separate bowl, mix the eggs, pumpkin, and applesauce until smooth. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly to make a smooth batter. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups.

Bake for about 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

jenmcadams
10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks to everyone so far....I can't wait to try these!

ged
10-14-2009, 07:54 PM
I have three really good ones that we love and make regularly, plus a few others. My favs are blueberry muffins with a crumb topping, carrot muffins (+/- cream cheese frosting) and double chocolate zucchini muffins. If anyone is interested, I'll try to dig up the recipes and post later this eve. Right now laundry is calling, and dinner will be following soon after.

I'd love to see your chocolate zucchini muffins recipe!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
From my blog...

http://flagstaffmama.wordpress.com/2009/04/03/flagstaff-mamas-bomb-a-banana-nut-muffins/

jgenie
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
these are my four favorites and the blueberry one is actually an "add any fruit" base so it's great for raspberries, etc.

Great recipes!! I'm hoping to try the banana one this weekend. :)

Why do you coat the blueberries before adding them to the mix? Does it help keep them whole?

What size are the disposable cups you use for baking? Where can I buy them?

TIA

jgenie
10-14-2009, 09:17 PM

Would love to have these recipes when you have time to post.

Jen841
10-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I need to by honey by the barrel almost to keep up with demands.

1 recipe fills my 3 non-stick mini-muffin pans.

For buttermilk I do a substitution that I found in a book... 1/2 tsp lemon juice added to milk to the 1/2 cup line, let it sit for 10 minutes before using.

I freeze the leftover pumpkin and use it the next time. Last night I doubled the recipe, but did not have enough pumpkin. I used applesauce in place of part of the pumpkin and it was good. J only complaint was he had a BIG muffin (I made both sizes for the first time), not a mini-muffin and he likes the little ones better. Size does matter apparently.

Ok, one more substitution, I use pumpkin pie spice in place of the allspice b/c I had it.

Pumpkin Muffins
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/4 c. canola oil
1/2 c. brown sugar--packed
1/4 c. honey
1 c. pumpkin puree

Preheat oven to 375. Spray muffin tin with non-stick spray or line with paper liners. Mix flour through allspice in med. bowl. Mix egg through honey in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin. Stir dry ingredients into ingredients, and mix until blended (but don't overbeat). Fill tins 3/4 full. Bake mini muffins 17 minutes, regular muffins 22 minutes (but times may vary depending on your oven).

The muffins freeze well.

m448
10-14-2009, 09:38 PM
good luck! I bought them here:

http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-321-pleated-portion-paper-cup-325-oz-sleeve-of-250.aspx

I initially bought two sleeves to try them out but I need to restock and will buy more to ease the cost of shippng. It looks like they've rolled the rim slightly but the design seems to be about the same. There's definitely a technique to taking them off (pulling the pleats apart) but I love using them since they're freestanding.

nrp
10-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Why do you coat the blueberries before adding them to the mix? Does it help keep them whole?

Not M448, but I think the reason for coating the blueberries is that it helps suspend them in the batter so that they don't fall to the bottom of the muffin during baking. At least that's why my mother did it and why I still do!

m448
10-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Not M448, but I think the reason for coating the blueberries is that it helps suspend them in the batter so that they don't fall to the bottom of the muffin during baking. At least that's why my mother did it and why I still do!

:yeahthat:

JTsMom
10-15-2009, 07:56 AM
These all look delicious- I'm not sure where to start! :) Thanks for sharing.