PDA

View Full Version : Dairy-Free Treat Help

kransden
10-14-2009, 08:33 PM
DD's gets to bring a treat to school for her birthday. One kid is dairy-free, any suggestions?

m448
10-14-2009, 08:49 PM
can you do homemade or does it have to be prepackaged?

Jen841
10-14-2009, 08:59 PM
Rice Krispie Treats? - check the label

We always have to do store bought so I sent to that.

Mandarin Oranges and Cheetos are requests my kids have asked to take in the past that were allowed.

DrSally
10-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Nabisco fig newton MINI's in the single package are (or used to be) dairy free (strawberry and reg). The large ones in the non single-serve package have Whey.

LarsMal
10-14-2009, 09:22 PM
If you are going for a "treat" and don't care so much about the nutritional value, Oreos are safe.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Most Oreo's are dairy-free (though I hear this can depend on your region so double check!). Animal crackers are generally dairy-free as well. Store bought baked goods are going to be tricky. You can make dairy-free brownies, muffins and cookies. Make sure to use crisco or a dairy-free margarine like Fleichmann's unsalted. Also, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips are dairy-free. (Make sure to double-check the labels but I am pretty sure those are the brands!)

Katigre
10-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Do you have a Meijer near you? They just came out with "Meijer Naturals" baking mixes that are dairy-free (as well as hydrogenated oil free and corn syrup free!). You'd have to use a butter substitute for the cookies, but I think the cake mixes just need oil and eggs so you could do those and leave them unfrosted for the DF child :).

happymom
10-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Twizzlers are dairy free.
Btw, I've never seen dairy-free Oreos and I'm in NY.
If you want to make something homemade, I can give you dairy free recipes for brownies, cookies, cakes....

crl
10-14-2009, 11:51 PM
Popsicles
Tofutti ice cream sandwiches (available at Trader Joes)
Newman's Os
Fig Newmans
Fruit
Fruit leathers
twizzlers

You might check with the school for suggestions as well ifyou haven't already. They may have a list of things that are okay from the parent. DS has a milk allergy, but his is really mild so we don't have to avoid the "made in a facility with milk" stuff. I want to say thank you so much for taking the allergic child into account. DS has a stash of treats at school for when they have things he can't, but it makes him so, so, so happy when he gets to eat the same thing as everyone else.

Catherine

Piglet
10-14-2009, 11:58 PM
If you have a kosher bakery/grocery near you, they will carry every imaginable non-dairy baked good/treat. Also, you can find many items labelled kosher and if they do not have a "D" next to the kosher symbol, the food is completely dairy-free.

kransden
10-15-2009, 12:08 AM
It has to be store bought.
DD wants me to bring pizza. Which is cheaper than bringing cupcakes. So yeah! This kid ALWAYS get rooked on the snacks according to dd. Honestly, my dd is not typically very empathetic, so I was very suprised when she made a point to tell me "Billy" needs a special treat. (We are new to the school) So everyone will get a slice of pizza and a cheap cookie. Maybe he could have the crazy bread?

I just wasn't sure about the cookies etc. It would be pretty awful if I brought a treat just for him and he couldn't eat it kwim ?

crl
10-15-2009, 12:14 AM
Bread is tricky, some has milk, some doesn't. You have to read the label or ask the cook/chef. Most store-bought cookies have milk. You could look for Newman's Os--they are labeled dairy free and DH swears they taste better than regular Oreos (I don't like Oreos so I haven't tried them).

Catherine

DrSally
10-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Bread is tricky, some has milk, some doesn't. You have to read the label or ask the cook/chef. Most store-bought cookies have milk. You could look for Newman's Os--they are labeled dairy free and DH swears they taste better than regular Oreos (I don't like Oreos so I haven't tried them).

Catherine
If I recall correctly, we never ate Newman's O's (or newtons) b/c of peanut/nut contamination. You might want to check that in case your school has a no nut policy.

MamaMolly
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
Just as an aside I can't imagine Cheetos being allowed as a dairy free snack. What does the school think the Chee is??? (I'm giggling to myself here, so please don't take offense.)
On a more helpful note:

For family pizza night we get Papa Jon's veggie plus pepperoni without the cheese. It is delish! Some pizza dough has dairy in it, so I'd check online before ordering. Many places list ingredients or allergens online. DD loves pepperoni pizza without cheese.

DD also loves Oreos. Sometimes we get the 'real' ones and sometimes the Trader Joe's Os. You can also send in fruit leather, fruit roll ups, those nasty gummi snacks (which DD adores) instead of cookies.

If you want shopping/label tips look for: dairy, milk, cream, butter, whey and caisen. Those are the most common names for dairy.

KpbS
10-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Oreos don't have milk in them--Golden Oreos definitely don't. Pillsbury makes a slice and bake sugar cookie that is dairy-free.