PDA

View Full Version : Apple Pie recipe

niccig
10-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Mods, please leave for a few answers then move to cooking.

A couple of people in the thread about what you will/won't cook said they have a great apple pie recipe. I need to make an apple pie for a pot luck this weekend. In the past I've put uncooked apples into the pie pastry, which I like, but they always sink, and there's a big gap between the filling and the top pastry. ANy ways around this.

Thanks everyone from my DH. Apple Pie is his favourite dessert.

Nicci

dcmom2b3
10-14-2009, 10:17 PM
Do you have the modern (90's?) version of the Joy of Cooking? IIRC, it has a discussion of this problem and a technique to solve it. I'll check my Pie and Pastry Bible, too and come back, but I think it's probably a matter of pre-cooking the apples a bit/choosing an apple variety that's low in moisture to begin with.

ETA: JOC recipie Apple Pie II at page 873 of the 1997 edition describes a pre-cooking technique to avoid the "gap" problem.

Rose Levy Beranbaum's Pie and Pastry Bible at 74-5, 81-3 advocates a different technique to resolve the same issue; basically letting the apples macerate in spices and sugar for up to three hours, and straining the liquid off, cooking the liquid down, and using that to flavor and thicken the filling. She also has a great discussion of which apple varieties make better pies.

I've never made Beranbaum's apple pie, but I do use her technique for my apple/pear "harvest pie" that I haven't made in years . . . .

I can scan the relevant pages and PM/email them to you if you'd like.

graciebellesmomma
10-15-2009, 12:00 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I am not a fan of pie, I actually hate pie.

We went apple picking on Friday and my daughter has been dying to make pies. She
can't eat uncooked apples, as she's allergic, so I figured that we would make a pie.

We made it tonight, just ate a tiny piece of it, and I don't hate my own pie. It was delicious!!

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/browse-all-recipes/apple-crumb-pie-10000001687963/

Here is a link to the recipe that we used. It's in this month's Real Simple magazine, if you have that. We bought store made pie crust, but followed the recipe from step 3, on.
It was simple. Easy as Pie!!!! And so yummy. I added a bit more cinnamon and dusted some on the top crumb part. My husband can't believe it's the first pie that I've ever made at 44 years of age. He wanted to run some across to the 80 yr old woman across the street while it was still hot, he loved it so much. I'm excited it was so yummy and so easy.

rachelh
10-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Not a pie fan here either but we went apple picking recently and I needed to do something with all those apples. I have made an apple pie recipe a few times since when we had guests over and they all leave asking for the recipe!

Its on foodnetwork.com from Paula Dean. Theres even a short demonstration video as well.

Enjoy!

lil_acorn
10-15-2009, 10:53 AM
can't help you with pie but PM I do have a good apple crostata recipe that's pretty easy

Jen841
10-15-2009, 11:04 AM
I now have to make this today.

Cran-Apple Pie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a pie person, but feel in love with this when I had it. I saw it made at a local shop. Her rule, NO EXACT MEASUREMENTS. Handfuls/pinches, etc. rule.

Cran-Apple Pie

Yield: 1, 9-inch pie to serve 6 to 8

Crust for 9-inch double crust pie

4-5 cooking apples

1 cup fresh or dried cranberries, coarsely chopped if desired

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup flour

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 tablespoons butter, optional

1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg glaze for the top crust

2 tablespoons sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375º. Line a 9-inch pie pan with pie dough.

2. Peel, core and slice the apples and place in a large bowl. Toss with the cranberries.

3. Stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; toss this with the apples and cranberries.

Pile apple mixture into crust. Dot top with butter, if using.

4. Top apples with second piece of pie dough, crimping the edges to keep in the juices. Make a slit in the top crust to let the steam out.

5. Brush the pie dough with the egg glaze and then sprinkle evenly with the 2 tablespoons sugar.

6. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.

karenj2
10-15-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm not a big pie fan either, so I make apple crisp... During the fall I make it so often that I don't need the recipe to remember the ingredients anymore. :) (In fact, we just finished up some yesterday)

Apple Crisp
4 cups apples
1/3 c. each brown sugar & white sugar
3/4 t each cinnamon & nutmeg
1/2 c. each flour & oatmeal
1/3 cup butter, melted

Cut up apples, mix remaining ingredients (which I usually double... :wink2:), then cook at 375 for 30 minutes.

The Review Mommy
10-15-2009, 11:50 AM
i just tried the grandmas big slice apple sauce from costco-AWESOME!

niccig
10-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions and recipes. Mary-Helen I can get the joy of cooking from the library. Thanks for looking that up for me.