PDA

View Full Version : Low-Grade Fever For Days Plus Cough?

Indianamom2
10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Okay, DD#1 has had a low-grade fever (99-100.2) since Sunday. She also has a phlegmy-sounding cough and a bit of a stuffy nose. We've been running the cool mist humidifier for the last 3-4 days and she's acting okay (a bit more low-key today though). Her cough is not sounding better, worse maybe.

Do I take her to the pedi? I REALLY don't want to expose her to more, especially since we are having a bit of an outbreak of H1N1 here (she's been exposed at school). I also don't relish the idea of taking my almost 3-month old in with her, but would have no other choice.

Sound concerning? She's been fighting off something for a month now.

Christina

Laurel
10-15-2009, 02:59 PM
From what I have heard, your DD's current symptoms are pretty consistent with some H1N1 cases.

clc053103
10-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I hate to say it, but I would take her- agree with Laurel that this sounds consistent with what others said about H1N1- particularly the fact that she's had something for a month but now has fever and cough seems worse?

Is there someone you could leave your 3 month old with while you go to the ped?

Ceepa
10-15-2009, 06:51 PM
Sounds like my DC. Fortunately the illness doesn't seem to get worse than you describe, though symptoms hang on for a while - especially that horrible cough! I just kept them at home, treated symptoms and it cleared after a while.

I'd probably have your DD checked because you have a 3 mo at home. And you don't want DD to develop a secondary infection.

smiles33
10-15-2009, 07:09 PM
My 3 year old DD1 has the same thing (cough, runny nose, mild fever up to 100 degrees for 4 days, and she's cranky). At first, we thought it was just a regular cold, but when her fever didn't go away on day 3 we took her to the doctor who said the only treatment is rest. It could be the flu or just a bad cold but ultimately doesn't matter as it's the same treatment.

We also have a 4 month old, who developed a cough last night so I brought her in to the doctor this morning. She's got croup so they gave her an oral steroid and said just to monitor her. Not sure how she got it, as she's been home from daycare for a week since she goes to my employer's on-site center and I've been home ever since DD1 came home with the cough last Friday (that turned into a fever/congestion on Saturday morning). We're hoping to send DD1 back to daycare on Monday, as her fever finally went away yesterday but we want her cough to get better and her mood to get better.

BabyMine
10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I would call the ped before taking her in and exposing her.

mamica
10-15-2009, 11:26 PM
I thought that higher fevers, not low-grade, were associated with H1N1?

My dd had similar symptoms to yours, but the low fever didn't last more than a day, and she was just dx'd with an upper respiratory infection.