PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Instant breakfast drinks for kids?

EllasMum
10-15-2009, 09:28 PM
I just saw the thread about instant breakfast drinks, and had a question. DD will NOT eat breakfast. Ever. She will occasionally drink chocolate milk, but otherwise just will. not. eat. breakfast. I have been wondering for some time now (but just kept forgetting to ask you mamas!) - is it safe/ok to give those instant breakfast drinks to kids?? They have the various vitamins/minerals listed on the pack but I wasn't sure if the levels are safe for kids. Anybody know? I would LOVE to be able to give DD one of these drinks now and then just to get *anything* into her.

TIA!

bubbaray
10-15-2009, 09:30 PM
I've done it on occasion. Not something I'm proud of, but when you have a child who won't eat (I call mine the Chia Pets), you do what you have to do.

FTR, the only milk I could stomach while PG was either chocolate milk or Instant b-fast

EllasMum
10-15-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks, Melissa. I think I'm going to pickup some of the powder packets and see if DD will drink that in the mornings when she will invariably refuse everything else. She gets INSANE by late morning if she doesn't have something in her system so I'm hoping this works.

calv
10-15-2009, 09:56 PM
are you talking about carnation instant breakfast?

wellyes
10-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Instant breakfast is marketed to kids - and I actually think it's a reasonable breakfast. It's not as good as a couple of eggs and fresh-squeezed orange juice but it easily beats a pop-tart or some of those more dreadful breakfast cereals like the cookie one or the peanut butter cup one.

Like I mentioned in another thread, it's a good idea to put the instant breakfast in the blender with a banana for a nutritional boost.

The thing about instant breakfast is that calorie-wise and sugar-wise it really is a meal replacement. It is not a smart alternative to chocolate milk if the kid is having a big bagel too. But as a meal by itself, you could do a lot worse.

Melaine
10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Have you ever tried fruit smoothies? You can add so much good stuff in there without the need for added sugar.

EllasMum
10-15-2009, 11:05 PM
are you talking about carnation instant breakfast?

Yep. Although I haven't really looked for anything else. I used to buy it for myself back in the day. I'm fairly sure there must be other brands around but I just haven't checked.

EllasMum
10-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Instant breakfast is marketed to kids - and I actually think it's a reasonable breakfast. It's not as good as a couple of eggs and fresh-squeezed orange juice but it easily beats a pop-tart or some of those more dreadful breakfast cereals like the cookie one or the peanut butter cup one.

Like I mentioned in another thread, it's a good idea to put the instant breakfast in the blender with a banana for a nutritional boost.

The thing about instant breakfast is that calorie-wise and sugar-wise it really is a meal replacement. It is not a smart alternative to chocolate milk if the kid is having a big bagel too. But as a meal by itself, you could do a lot worse.

Good to know - yes, I would be using it as a meal replacement. I have tried everything under the sun for a healthy breakfast and DD is just not having it. My recent success was with Babybel cheeses but she seems to have tired of those. Sigh.

EllasMum
10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Have you ever tried fruit smoothies? You can add so much good stuff in there without the need for added sugar.

I did try the smoothies - used skim milk, yogurt, frozen berries, banana and a little Splenda... and DD took one sip and then announced she did not like 'milkshakes'. :rolleyes:

Happy 2B mommy
10-16-2009, 12:40 AM
My dd isn't big on breakfast either - just wants milk or juice (like her mama! Soon she's gonna ask for coffee) She likes to eat breakfast nearer to 9 or 10. A few times when we've had to go somewhere I've been known to give her Slimfast! Not my proudest mommy moment, but it's all I had!