PDA

View Full Version : Which car seats have the most breathable fabric?

SanFranMom
10-16-2009, 12:40 AM
I've read good things about the Graco SnugRide and Chicco Keyfit car seats, except many reviews complain that the fabric isn't breathable and causes the baby to sweat. Does anyone know if any models of these or other good car seats have breathable fabric?

Thank you.

happyturtles
10-16-2009, 02:03 AM
i have the chicco keyfit in Poetic and occassionally DD does sweat in it. Aftermarket carseat covers are not recommended for carseats, but Chicco did factory test one of the brands and approve it for use with their Keyfits. That may help with the sweating issue. Its called Bokoo covers.

AshleyAnn
10-16-2009, 05:58 AM
The keyfits all pretty much have the same fabric for covers and it isn't the most breathable choice but the gracos vary depending on the pattern you're looking at. Some are a great cotton blend while others are about as breathable as a shower curtain - nearly every pattern option is made of a different fabric/blend.

Joolsplus2
10-16-2009, 08:33 AM
My suspicion is that some babies are just sweatier than others. If they rode in any other seat, they'd just sweat no matter what (my baby had 6 seats to ride in, she didn't sweat in any of them, plasticy or cottony (none are actually cotton, unfortunately)...just her nature is not to sweat...other kids sweat gallons sleeping on a cold cotton crib sheet...you never know till they get here what kind of baby they are :))
There are lots of ways to keep the car itself a lot cooler when summer comes, that will help the kiddo be more comfortable no matter what :)

babychi
10-16-2009, 10:53 AM
If you have access to a brick & mortar store that carries a few different models, it might help answer your question. For instance, I have a Keyfit in Adventure (brown/sage green) and the cover does appear to be more of a cotton blend and fairly breathable. The Romantic (black/grey) I believe is the same. But the ones at BRU - Extreme (orange) and Cubes (grey pattern) - seem more plasticy and shiny in person, if that makes sense. I've heard that these covers are more prone to making baby sweat, but it could be up to the individual child as well.

happyturtles
10-16-2009, 11:51 AM
I agree. My Poetic color is more like the Adventure, too. Not very plastic-y and seems more breathable. Also, I have the Keyfit in the center back seat and point the A/C vents towards it, so it cools my DD even more if need be.

secchick
10-16-2009, 04:22 PM
I have to say that my denim/new denim covered MA and RA are wonderful in terms of breathability (and we live in Houston, so babies do get sweaty). I didn't notice a huge difference btwn our SR22 and KeyFit, but I'd say the Key Fit was better.