PDA

View Full Version : Wash Car Seat Fabric Before Use??

becca_g
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Dreft laundry tips recommends washing car seat fabrics before use ... I hadn't even thought of this. Is this something I should do before DS uses his new infant car seat?

We have a Chicco Keyfit 30, and the manual indicates the fabrics can be washed.

Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Some fabric is treated with unpleasant chemicals (like formaldehyde) so washing it might not be a bad idea. Just don't wash the straps.

OT- did you buy Dreft? If so, I suggest exchanging it for a free and clear of some variety b/c Dreft is heavy on perfume and dye and they could be irritants for sensitive babies. Sorry for that unsolicited advice!

Beth

MommyAllison
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
We didn't. We wash the covers when they are dirty and that's it!

codex57
10-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Well, I think Dreft is a waste of money so am predisposed to distrust them.

Still, I don't wash it cuz fabric can be treated with that fire retardant material and washing washes the stuff out.

becca_g
10-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Some fabric is treated with unpleasant chemicals (like formaldehyde) so washing it might not be a bad idea. Just don't wash the straps.

OT- did you buy Dreft? If so, I suggest exchanging it for a free and clear of some variety b/c Dreft is heavy on perfume and dye and they could be irritants for sensitive babies. Sorry for that unsolicited advice!

Beth

No, I didn't buy Dreft but received an email with Dreft laundry tips (we already use a different sensitive detergent for ourselves due to eczema), which made me wonder whether in general it was best to wash car seat fabrics before use.

Thanks for the tip, though, I will be sure to stay away from Dreft!

mom2binsd
10-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Ok...getting OT but, the Dreft stain remover is awesome....it is better than anything else, I use it on all kid and grown up stains, you spray and rub...and it's not too expensive. I don't use their detergent though.

I think 'airing' out the seat is sufficient, I try not to remove a carseat cover unless I have too....if you do take a picture of it front and back in case you can't figure out where everything goes