PDA

View Full Version : Brrr! Winter Coat/Jacket Recommendations

parelle
10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
I moved to the Boston area in August from Philadelphia, and while the Mid Atlantic weather is no slouch, I'm freezing up here (and it's only October!) Problem is, I'm also 8 1/2 months pregnant and my winter coat doesn't button up at all.

I feel silly buying something for this next month only, but I may very well have - any recommendations on something less expensive (say, less than $30) to keep me warm and covered? I'll dish out for a good wool coat once I've a feel for my post-partum size (to put it politely, it's obvious the aforementioned coat probably isn't going to work once the baby's here either).

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 05:39 PM
I just bought this wool/cashmere blend swing style coat from Land's End:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongWoolSwingCoat~187686_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::CAM&CM_MERCH=IDX_00002__0000000159&origin=index

It's 6 times the amount you were looking to spend, but something like it may be a good option for you to take a look at as an "investment piece" ... also, a good coat that's a bit big will always allow you to wear layers underneath, so I wouldn't worry about it being big if you order your current size!

Other than that, take a look in your local Burlington Coat Factory to see if they have something similar. I am also told that there are fleece coats with zip-out panels that you can find at maternity stores; you can zip out the extension panel and wear the coat after Baby arrives ... but I haven't looked in many maternity stores.

parelle
10-16-2009, 05:59 PM
That's almost exactly along the lines of what I want to get in the long run - though I wish it came in either black or grey! The only thing I'm concerned about buying a good coat right now is that I understand that my...bra size is likely to go up again after the baby is born (and up to the past few weeks, that's been the biggest change I've had).

lizzywednesday
10-16-2009, 06:11 PM
That's almost exactly along the lines of what I want to get in the long run - though I wish it came in either black or grey! The only thing I'm concerned about buying a good coat right now is that I understand that my...bra size is likely to go up again after the baby is born (and up to the past few weeks, that's been the biggest change I've had).

I was happy with the dark brown option, actually ... brown is my "default neutral."

I looked at LL Bean for S's & G's, but theirs is a straighter cut...though it does come in black!

babybell
10-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Old Navy has some sweater/coat type things that look nice. I'm in the same boat; trying to brave the New England weater at the wee end of pregnancy without buying a heavy coat!

Old Navy performance fleece hoodies (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50200&vid=1&pid=700628&scid=700628002) are also really warm. You might be able to get away wtih wearing one of those (maternity) underneath a regular women's coat.

Maybe something like this (http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=50202&vid=1&pid=695991&scid=695991002), too.

katydid1971
10-17-2009, 12:30 AM
OK this isn't the best look but I just used DH's coat, maybe that could get you through the next two weeks. ;)

kijip
10-17-2009, 04:07 AM
One thing to consider about a maternity coat is that you may very well need it again if you are planning on having another child. Alternately, you can sell it for a decent recoup. I splurged on a maternity coat when I was pregnant with T and it was the best $$$ I spent, even though I barely needed it. If you get a swing or wrap style it could easily be your postpartum coat too.

kijip
10-17-2009, 04:48 AM
Old Navy has wool coats in maternity sizes for $60-90.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/category.do?cid=50200

WatchingThemGrow
10-17-2009, 08:05 AM
One thing to consider about a maternity coat is that you may very well need it again if you are planning on having another child. Alternately, you can sell it for a decent recoup. I splurged on a maternity coat when I was pregnant with T and it was the best $$$ I spent, even though I barely needed it. If you get a swing or wrap style it could easily be your postpartum coat too.

:yeahthat:
wise, wise words. i would have a coat right now if i'd taken this advice! my regular ones are a little too tight.

graciebellesmomma
10-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Not sure what size you are, but here's a link to ebay and their Old Navy maternity coats.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m38.l1313&_nkw=old+navy+maternity+coat&_sacat=See-All-Categories

and here's gap.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=gap+maternity+coat&_sacat=0&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_dmpt=US_CSA_WC_Outerwear&_odkw=old+navy+maternity+coat&_osacat=0

I bought a bunch of clearance gap and old navy for my pregnancy and sold it all on ebay.
I sold it for more than what I made...maternity does have good re-sale.

ryanmom
10-17-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm in the exact same boat... I bought a maternity sweater coat from old navy that has been super useful for the last couple of months but I'm not sure it will get me through the next month and a half. I'm hoping to use my Dad's pea coat from the navy to get me through the next month. I've also been wearing my DH's jacket occasionally. The old navy coats look like they might be worth the money though... there is likely a coupon floating out there.

michellerw
10-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Have you considered a cape? I know it might not be your style, but if you buy it now, you could sell it (or hang on to it for another pregnancy) and recoup your money later. I'm actually borrowing one from a family member through this winter. If it's a more practical option, even if it's not your favorite, it still might work out for you.

parelle
10-18-2009, 12:36 AM
Have you considered a cape? I know it might not be your style, but if you buy it now, you could sell it (or hang on to it for another pregnancy) and recoup your money later. I'm actually borrowing one from a family member through this winter. If it's a more practical option, even if it's not your favorite, it still might work out for you.

If I could pull off a cape, that would be awesome :) I hadn't seriously considered that, I admit. I've wanted one, and it would work... though they tend to be pricier than my cheapskate ways, I admit.

Thanks for all of your ideas and input - I do like the point about spending more money now with the intent on either 1) recouping later by reselling or 2) saving it for a future pregnancy. I had some hopes for the various jumble/yard sales we went to today, but no such look. I'll also look into borrowing one of my husband's coats as well, but he's a skinny scrawny fellow, so it may not quite work. The other good news is that I was assured by our upstairs neighbor that it's unusually cold at the moment - so while it's definitely going to getting colder, at least I'm not completely nuts about feeling chilly at the moment!

KathyN115
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Just my opinion, but I wouldn't invest in a maternity coat now. I live in MA, and it is abnormally cold now. But its going to be in the 60s in 3 days! I would just layer, and wear my current coat open. You could get a nice, big cashmere scarf and drape it around and over your belly. If anything, I would get a regular coat a little bigger than normal, maybe a swing coat. Just as an example, this one from Lands End was nice but ran really really big. It would definitely work while pregnant:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LuxuryFleeceSwingCoat~194097_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000141&origin=index

(I am about a size 8, and the small was too big for me. And it is machine washable, which is a bonus with a new baby)

parelle
10-19-2009, 08:23 PM
http://www.landsend.com/pp/LuxuryFleeceSwingCoat~194097_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::BLA&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000141&origin=index

(I am about a size 8, and the small was too big for me. And it is machine washable, which is a bonus with a new baby)

Bother, I do wish I could try this on. I started off as a size 8/10 pre-preggers, but I've definitely drifted up. And annoying, they no longer have mediums at all! Grr. I'll keep an eye out for something like it though - the idea is a good one, thanks!

brittone2
10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
I lived in PA when pg with my DS (5.5 years ago) and got by with a longer wool coat worn open with big scarves and then a thinner, not super warm black jacket/trench kinda thing (maternity).

With being *that* far along I'd look for something swing coat ish that you could wear post partum as PPs said (and be willing to spend more) or maybe since scarves are super popular right now, get a big, nice pashmina type of scarf and use that under the open portion of your coat. The pashmina could be used postpartum as a wrap, scarf, etc. and/or resold, and they've become pretty classic.

I've had 2 cold weather babies with one more on the way (Dec and February, and now due in March with #3). This time around I'm going to pick up some big scarves/pashminas and try to make do with that (but I'm also in NC now where it isn't so unbearably cold. However, a few years in the south has made me a wimp and 50 degrees now feels really cold to me LOL ;) )

Swimfreak78
10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Have you thought of checking a secondhand shop? You might be able to get a deal there.