PDA

View Full Version : Choosing between the Medela PISA Models

zetty
10-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I am looking to buy a Medela PISA electric pump soon (baby is due in less than a month). I just found out that I get a great discount through DH's work. My question is which model is best? I think I prefer bag to backpack, but is the $50 price difference worth it for the Metro Bag? As far as I can tell, this is what comes extra with the Metro:

removable pump motor (as opposed to it being incorprated into part of the bag)
removable work space (This seems like a fold out mat, I don't know what it's really for)
mesh storage bags (I don't know what these are for)
compatible softlift breastsheilds (from what I can tell these cost about $10 to buy separately)

The biggest difference is the removable pump motor. Is that really nice to have?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
10-16-2009, 03:42 PM
I am looking to buy a Medela PISA electric pump soon (baby is due in less than a month). I just found out that I get a great discount through DH's work. My question is which model is best? I think I prefer bag to backpack, but is the $50 price difference worth it for the Metro Bag? As far as I can tell, this is what comes extra with the Metro:

removable pump motor (as opposed to it being incorprated into part of the bag)
removable work space (This seems like a fold out mat, I don't know what it's really for)
mesh storage bags (I don't know what these are for)
compatible softlift breastsheilds (from what I can tell these cost about $10 to buy separately)

The biggest difference is the removable pump motor. Is that really nice to have?

Thanks!

Yes, the removable pump motor is really nice to have if you think you might want to ever pack your pump into another bag. I commute via train to my office, so like having this feature.

KPC's mom
10-16-2009, 03:49 PM
If you will be commuting I highly recommend spending the extra$ on the Medela Freestyle - it's tiny and lightweight. I have to commute and its great. Asan FYI they push it as hands free but I have not been able to use that feature - I think my current chest size doesn't accomodate it.....

WatchingThemGrow
10-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Have you looked at the freestyle? A friend told me she likes hers.

I love the Pumpin Pals extensions, but didn't care much for the soft shields.

DH wants me to use batteries in my backpack and wear the pump around.

truly scrumptious
10-16-2009, 04:16 PM
I loved, loved, loved my Freestyle.
It was so small and easy to slip into any bag, and powerful. I just used an oversize purse as a regular purse and put the pump in a ziploc in there, and the small cooler for the bottles - so I didn't have to carry around an extra bag just for pumping supplies/bottles.
My insurance covered it, so $ was no object. If you get a good discount, it might be worth looking into.

catsnkid
10-16-2009, 07:43 PM
I have a pump in style backpack version, I think it was purchased in 2004. You can take the pump out- it involves ripping through quite of bit of velcro.

Swimfreak78
10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I had the metro bag -- loved it. The removable pump was great so I only had to bring that home not the whole thing. Mesh bags are for pump parts so you can keep 2 sets in your bag. Look around -- many places don't charge the difference.

pb&j
10-16-2009, 08:33 PM
I have a pump in style backpack version, I think it was purchased in 2004. You can take the pump out- it involves ripping through quite of bit of velcro.
:yeahthat:

If I were purchasing a new pump today (which I'm not - I have about a week left in my pumping career!!! :cheerleader1:), I'd get the Freestyle. What I wouldn't give to not have to be tethered to an outlet. And so small!!

diegosmom
10-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I have both the freestyle and the PISA. I like both so here are few things to consider.

The freestyle is great for travel and use without the need for an outlet. I have found when running off of batteries, the suction isn't quite as strong as the PISA but it does get the job done. Also, if the inner rubber pieces aren't placed just so the suction is very light. I have two sets and one seems to work better than the other than other and lay flatter. The fact that you have an outside piece snapping them together doesn't seem to impact it. However, the mobility is fantastic and one of the best parts. Add a Easy Express Pump Bra and you really can walk around the house while you pump. It may not sound like something you want to do but when you are trying to get two kids out the door and time is running out it comes in handy.

The PISA, I don't have the metro so I can't speak to the flexability of changing bags and this would be one of the big things I didn't like. The bag can be bulky and cumbersome and so easy to spot a mile away. I often see women in my building carrying theirs to work. The material of the Medela bags is the same regardless of the style you buy and easily identifable. With baby number 2, I was lucky enough to have a private office so I left the PISA at work and only had to transport the parts. Then I used the Freestyle at home.

I realize that is a lot to invest in pumps and I certainly don't recommend that to people. I sort of ended up that way b/c when I had baby number 2, I had already used the PISA for 1 1/2 years to almost 2 years and wanted something with mobility. I'm also fortunate enough to be able to express large quantities, so even with two pumps for baby number 2, I have gotten a ton of use out of both.

Regardless of which you purchase, I would consider buying extra extenders and shields and you can throw them in the dishwasher at night and not have to wash so many times at work. It doesn't sound like such a big deal but, when you pump 2-3 times a day (the number of times depends on how long you are at work) and each session takes approx. 20 minutes, do you really want to spend more time in the work kitchen or restroom handwashing the parts to reuse later. Yes, they have the wipes but they never really made me feel like you were cleaning the parts very well. Wish I would have thought of this with my first child. I went 1 1/2 years with only one set of horns and extenders. Sometimes I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.

catsnkid
10-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Yes, definitely two sets of horns. I pump twice a day, and sometimes I think it would be worth it to have four so I don't run the dishwasher as much.
Also getting extra bottles is well worth it, but I recommend getting generic bpa free bottles that fit the horns, such as parent's choice from walmart. I purchased sets of Dr. Brown's caps from amazon.com and it is soo much cheaper than buying medela bottles. Total was 5.68 for three bottles and caps instead of about 5 bucks each for a medela bottle.

MizMojoLaveau
10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
I had the same choice to make five months ago. Finally settled on the less expensive PISA bag (not the metro bag) and have been very happy with my choice. I do have an extra set of horns as pps have mentioned and believe that this and possibly a vehicle power adapter are smarter things to spend money on. But I have a private office and can sit at my desk and type while pumping. I guess it just depends on your work situation.

Lmans77
10-27-2009, 10:47 AM
I have a PISA Backpack and it worked for my needs. I pump at my desk so being tethered wasn't an issue.

FYI, when I pumped at work, I only used one set of horns. I didn't have easy access to a sink so I would store my horns in a tupperware container in the fridge between pumps. No need to wash and I never had a problem. So much better than constantly washing parts!!!