PDA

View Full Version : Where do your big kids play legos?

KpbS
10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Just curious--do you have a dedicated activity table? Floor? Kitchen table? Other?

Also how do you store legos at your house? Do you separate out sets (we only have 1 small set now) or just store all of the lego pieces together in a toy bin/box?

SnuggleBuggles
10-16-2009, 02:54 PM
We have a craft table that we use if ds has a big set to build. But, he just normally builds and plays in his room since we need to keep little bro out of the Legos.

Our Legos are in shoe sized Rubbermaid bins, sorted by color and stacked on a bookshelf in ds's room.

We have soooo many Legos that organizing by color was what seemed to make the most sense. We have bins for people, wheels and accessories as well.

Assembled sets that took a long time to build must be kept together X amount of time before being rebuilt/ destroyed. The completed sets go on display around his room.

Beth

kayte
10-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Here are some storage ideas...

http://completeorganizingsolutions.com/2009/05/kid-friendly-ideas-for-organizing-legos.html

DC is only 3.5 so I am not sure if that qualifies as older (though DH is 38 and plays with them just as much). We are usually at our dining room table or on the floor of the tv room (but with lego plates)

g-mama
10-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Legos are HUGE among my three sons. They play with them on the family room floor.

Our sets never stay together more than a week or so after they've been built. I wish I could be as disciplined as Beth about keeping them intact or on display, but I just don't get involved with it and they're smashed up either on purpose or accidentally before you know it.

As far as storage, we have them all in one long, shallow Rubbermaid bin. My dh suggested separating by color and I laughed out loud. Is it really possible to train your kids to separate them out by color when they're disassembling a creation? I'm still working on getting them to pick them up by handfuls and put them back into the bin without complaining.

hellokitty
10-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Legos are HUGE among my three sons. They play with them on the family room floor.

Our sets never stay together more than a week or so after they've been built. I wish I could be as disciplined as Beth about keeping them intact or on display, but I just don't get involved with it and they're smashed up either on purpose or accidentally before you know it.

As far as storage, we have them all in one long, shallow Rubbermaid bin. My dh suggested separating by color and I laughed out loud. Is it really possible to train your kids to separate them out by color when they're disassembling a creation? I'm still working on getting them to pick them up by handfuls and put them back into the bin without complaining.

Kristen, what did you do when DS3 was too young for legos and they were a choking risk? DS1&2 LOVE LEGOS, but I am dreading that in a few months DS3 will start crawling and I don't know whether to quarantine the poor guy in a big gated off area so he doesn't get into his big brothers' LEGOS or to bite the bullet and let my older two play LEGOS upstairs (our playroom is the sun room off of our family room), which alienates the baby once again and spreads more toy mess throughout the house, which will drive me batty, esp since upstairs our carpeting is deeper (vs the rug in the playroom), so legos will be harder to pick up.

firsttimemama
10-16-2009, 05:22 PM
your post reminded me of

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/how-to/how-to-build-a-lego-table-059189