PDA

View Full Version : Tips for photographing DC's artwork?

kayte
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
I want to make a shutterfly book of DD's artwork. Any tips on getting good photos of the pieces (they don't all fit in scanner and often are textured). When I worked as a product designer our art department had a stand for taking photos of ad artwork... Any way to replicate that at home? Best type of lighting?

KBecks
10-16-2009, 03:28 PM
Oh, I don't know about doing it that well. I shoot it on the kitchen table (when I shot it, and it's a good idea to get back to it.) I love a blog called Chicken Nugget Lemon Tooty that is all the kids' artwork in the family (children of a pro illustrator.) I think those are scanned.

Just do whatever, it doesn't have to be perfect. Good for you for doing it!

LarsMal
10-16-2009, 05:44 PM
What a great idea to make a book out of it. We are all about the Shutterfly books. Guess I have a new project to get started on!

I've always just taken pictures of that sort of thing on a table, standing right over it- even kneeling on a chair or stool. I just play with the lighting until it's good enough. I agree with Karen, it doesn't have to be perfect. It's still a special thing to have.

randomkid
10-16-2009, 05:56 PM
I love this idea! Why didn't I ever think of that? Now, I have a huge project for DH for Christmas. I have saved the best/favorite artwork of my stepdaughters who are now 16yo and 18yo. I think I will try to start photographing them and make books for DH for Christmas. I wish we had thought of this when they were younger. I made DH throw out a bunch of their stuff. He had a gigantic box full of school papers, drawings, artwork, etc of theirs when they moved in with me. I wish we had taken pictures of that stuff! Well, at least I have quite a bit of it and since it's the best ones, I can still make a book that will last forever - Thanks for this great idea!!!