PDA

View Full Version : Calling all mini-pill users (question for you)

essnce629
10-16-2009, 05:52 PM
For those of you who got your period back while on the mini-pill-- did you ever miss a period and not be pregnant?

My periods started back at 5 weeks postpartum (yes, it sucks to be me) and I started the mini-pill at 6 weeks postpartum. DS2 is 4 1/2 months old and I've had 4 periods so far. My first 3 were exactly a month apart, but then my 4th period came 12 days after the last one. It was a regular period and lasted around 8 days. So now it's been 5 weeks since that 4th period. I was expecting AF about a week ago and so far she's a no show. I keep thinking I'm starting but then I go check and nothing. I'm starting to freak out because I just had a baby like yesterday and if I'm pregnant again I would have a heart attack!!!!!!!!!

Anyone else experience something similar???

And oh yeah, I'm exclusively breastfeeding.

AnnieW625
10-16-2009, 06:02 PM
I started the mini pill at 7 or 8 weeks I believe and I got my period back by the time DD was 3 mos. old. I was soo paranoid about getting pregnant again that we used condoms as a back up. Just want to wish you luck either way. It doesn't hurt to buy a pregnancy test.

Mommy Of A Little Angel
10-16-2009, 06:07 PM
With DD1 I also got my period back back super early (6 weeks) and started the mini-pill. My periods were regular until DD was 9 months and surprise, I was pregnant. (I was still exclusively BFing too!) The OB decided then was a good time to tell me you have to take it within 15 minutes of the same time of day for it to be effective. That would have been nice to know earlier!

I suggest you just run out and get a dollar store test to see. Also, I have very little faith in the mini-pill so if you don't want to get pregnant, I would definitely use another method along with it!

jenfromnj
10-16-2009, 06:46 PM
My periods have been totally erratic while on the mini-pill, including a period that was either 'missed' or 3 weeks late, depending on what that would be considered. My OB said it's not uncommon since it doesn't regulate your cycle like clockwork like the regular pill can.

Oh, and I know what you mean about having a heart attack if you are PG again! I actually took 2 tests before going back to the OB because I was so late, and I was seriously freaked out--I think that only served to make my period even later, though.

essnce629
10-16-2009, 06:46 PM
The OB decided then was a good time to tell me you have to take it within 15 minutes of the same time of day for it to be effective.

I know you're supposed to take it at the same time every day, but the package insert on mine says as long as you take it within 3 hours of that time it's fine. It says to use a backup birth control method for 48 hours only if you take it more than 3 hours late. I pretty much always take it within the 3 hour window, but definately not 15 minutes, so if that's true I probably am pregnant. I did take it more than 3 hours late at least 2 times, but we didn't DTD within 48 hours after that.

I'm too scared to take a test! DBF has been wanting to get a vasectomy, but I thought if I got on the pill I could hold him off for a few years and maybe he'd change his mind about having a third! I was charting and using condoms before.

jacksmomtobe
10-16-2009, 07:51 PM
My period is definitely less regular since being on the mini pill. I'm still nursing DD and generally do not get a lot of sleep during the night even though she is no longer an infant. At one point I was nervous due to missed periods but fairly certain I was not pregnant and took preg test to confirm that I was indeed not pregnant. The next time I went to the OB she said that my irregularity & missed periods were due to lack of sleep so that could be a factor.

frgsnlzrds
10-16-2009, 08:43 PM
Yeah....I missed mine and nine months later I had my darling baby daughter. I say buy a test! Good luck.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2009, 12:02 AM
My cycles were not regular at all when I was bf'ing and on the mini pill. Of course, I was *terrible* about taking the pill so I have a feeling I screwed things up.

Beth

SkyrMommy
10-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I still haven't gotten my period (DD is 6 months) and started the mini pill back at 6 weeks. DD is exclusively breastfed so that gave me a bit of reassurance, but now I've read that the effectiveness of breastfeeding goes down after 6 months. And I hate that the mini pill isn't more specific about the 'window' that you can take it in. I'm pretty good about timing, but sometimes not so great.

I'm planning on buying several tests and just keeping them onhand to check... I know I would freak if I was pregnant again this soon, but DH was adorable the other night and said that he knew it was soon, but would be really happy and do anything for me if I had a positive test :love5:

Best of luck...

srhs
10-17-2009, 01:58 PM
Good golly! No advice, sorry, but thanks for the PSA! Just started it this week and did not realize I had to be so precise. I was choking back tears when the pharmacist said they didn't have DS' prescription (out at the store at dinnertime in the rain with my 2-under-2 and anxious to start DS on reflux meds) so I barely heard her about MY rx--the phrase "less forgiving" was used though.
Off to read about Mirena...I can't do 3-under-3...lol...