PDA

View Full Version : PPB Touring Tote or Boxy Backpack

cv2205
10-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I really love the look of the Touring Tote, but will it be big enough to carry things for a newborn/infant? DH actually likes the look also, in the Black Orchid Roll (http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/touringtotes/blackorchidroll/).

I also like the Boxy Backpack, but seeing it in the Black Orchid Roll in-store, I thought it was a little floppy while empty. I think if we were going to get the Boxy Backpack, we would probably get the Turkish Twilight (http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/boxybackpacks/turkishtwilight/) which is glazed. At least I know the exterior can be easily cleaned and won't have to worry about pretty fabric catching on anything.

Which one would you guys recommend? My biggest concern is the size difference between the two.

lucybabymamma
10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
I bought a touring tote when my daughter was a newborn because I loved how it looks so much like a cute purse, but ended up returning it right away -- it was WAY to small for everything. I now have a boxy backpack and use it for my two girls -- 18 months and newborn -- and it fits everything I need. The wipeable fabric is really durable and pretty, too. I think the touring tote might be better when kids are a bit older and you need to carry less....:)

ExpectingOneMore
10-18-2009, 06:43 PM
I have a touring tote, and its definately not big enough to be used for a newborn. Maybe it you wanted it for a quick trip to the store, but thats about all.

cv2205
10-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies. Man, who knew choosing and buying a diaper bag takes so much effort?! It was easier choosing our stroller and carseat!

Now that I know the touring tote will be too small, my choices are between the boxy backpack in either the Black Orchid Roll (http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/boxybackpacks/blackorchidroll/) or Turkish Twilight (http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/collections/original/boxybackpacks/turkishtwilight/).

I'm also strongly considering a Harveys seatbelt bag. They're super stylish, definitely something DH would carry around with no problem, and from what I've heard about their construction, they are very sturdy. The downside is that it doesn't directly connect to the stroller, but that wouldn't be a big problem since you can still slip the shoulder strap over the stroller to hang it. Another downside is the price. PPB bags are bad enough when it comes to price, but Harveys is right up there. I'm looking at either the Messenger (http://www.seatbeltbags.com/messengerstorm.html) or the Carry-On (http://www.seatbeltbags.com/carryonblack.html). They actually make a diaper bag, but it's the same thing as the Carry-On.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Harveys? Also, how does the brocade PPB bags hold up over time? I'm afraid that the fabric will catch so easily and make it look old very quick, especially the bottom of the bag. On Harveys bags, they have metal feet on the bottom, so I'm not as worried.

Jennifer626
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Also, you can buy the PPB clips seperately, and clip any bag to your stroller!! FYI!! I didn't know this, and just found out on Saturday at Nordstrom, they sell the clips for $20, and they clipped on my large Coach purse perfectly : )

seedoubleyou
10-22-2009, 11:25 PM
The Touring Tote is more elegant in style. If you have to buy only 1 PPB then get the Boxy. You will be needing a backpack style diaper bag when your kiddo is running amok :D

seedoubleyou
10-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Also, how does the brocade PPB bags hold up over time? I'm afraid that the fabric will catch so easily and make it look old very quick, especially the bottom of the bag. On Harveys bags, they have metal feet on the bottom, so I'm not as worried.

Brocade can only be dry cleaned, if you are concerned with babies sucking the bag fabric like when you're sitting down waiting to be served and baby is by your side fiddling with your bag, then this may not be a good idea because of the possible dry cleaning chemical ingestion. It snags easy if you have sharp nails or bump into corners of furniture. No doubt it's beautiful but you need to pay attention. If you machine wash brocade it will shrink and wrinkle over time.

betsyab
11-10-2009, 12:18 PM
I love the boxy backpack in Turkish Twilight. We have it, and I love the ease of the glazed fabric. It has plenty of room to hold everything needed for a newborn. It is a touch heavy, but certainly no heavier than my loaded down purse that I even carry my lunch and a bottle of water in. It doesn't look cheap at all.

gatorsmom
11-29-2009, 12:09 AM
Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Harveys? Also, how does the brocade PPB bags hold up over time? I'm afraid that the fabric will catch so easily and make it look old very quick, especially the bottom of the bag. On Harveys bags, they have metal feet on the bottom, so I'm not as worried.

I've owned several PPBs-the touring tote as well as the boxy backpacks- in only the brocade (never tried the glazed) and they have held up really well. I used my first boxy backpack for 2 years as my only bag and it never snagged. With my second baby I got a new boxy backpack and used that one for 2 years. it never snagged either. Not once even after traveling cross country, going to the park, museum, etc. The threads in the material are thick and well woven. As for the tag that says dry cleaning only, if you do a search here of past threads, you'll find a few discussions about handwashing and even machine washing these bags. It is possible, but you have to be careful. If you do it right they will turn out fine. I worked for a dry cleaners in high school for 3 years and many of the items that are "dry clean only" turn out fine, if not better laundered instead of dry cleaned. hope that helps

AnnieW625
11-29-2009, 03:22 AM
I'm also strongly considering a Harveys seatbelt bag. They're super stylish, definitely something DH would carry around with no problem, and from what I've heard about their construction, they are very sturdy. The downside is that it doesn't directly connect to the stroller, but that wouldn't be a big problem since you can still slip the shoulder strap over the stroller to hang it. Another downside is the price. PPB bags are bad enough when it comes to price, but Harveys is right up there. I'm looking at either the Messenger (http://www.seatbeltbags.com/messengerstorm.html) or the Carry-On (http://www.seatbeltbags.com/carryonblack.html). They actually make a diaper bag, but it's the same thing as the Carry-On.

Does anyone have any opinions or experience with Harveys? I'm afraid that the fabric will catch so easily and make it look old very quick, especially the bottom of the bag. On Harveys bags, they have metal feet on the bottom, so I'm not as worried.

I have a Harvey's Seat Belt Bag, two in fact and I love them. I have the medium non zippered tote in navy blue, and the executive tote in black. They did not have the Carry On in 2006 when I bought it otherwise I most likely would've bought that one. If I remember correctly the messenger bag wasn't as wide as the executive tote.

The fabric doesn't not catch at all and I have never had a problem with the bag looking worn or anything. The metal feet are great. The only slight issue I have with the executive is that it can be kind of heavy when loaded with stuff but that is only in comparison to our main Eddie Bauer Diaper bag we had (that thing was super light even when filled), but the Seat Belt Bag looked way more trendy and nice for shopping, eating out, etc. than the EB bag ever did:) . The Executive Tote is also great for traveling because it can literally replace my regular purse. Please see the photos below.

I have never had a Petunia Picklebottom bag so I can't comment on those.

Price wise I don't think you can go wrong with a Harvey's bag. I got my first in 2005, and the ET in 2006, they both look like new. I can wash it very easily with a damp sponge. Seatbelts last forever!