PDA

View Full Version : Back to work and I need

kijip
10-17-2009, 04:31 AM
casual clothes. I need to look neat but not dressy. The environment at my new job is such that my normal work uniform would be too dressed up and potentially off-putting to my coworkers and the people getting services at the location. The ED met me in coveralls and a baseball cap. I normally wear button down shirts, merino wool crew or v-neck sweaters and slacks. I get a lot of milage out of that combo. Suits and jackets mixed into that. At this organization, a suit would be fantastically over the top except for rare meetings and my usual would even be too dressy. Fancy shoes and big purses would be out of the question as well. But on the other hand, I am not someone willing to go to work in my overalls and tank tops. It would be ok there, but would not be in line with my comfort level. I need a clean, neat image that is casual at the same time. But literally most of what I own is as described above- suits, nice sweaters, nice pants, button down shirts etc. Do you think that khakis or trouser jeans would be a decent balance? Also ideas for tops that are flattering, can be layered (it's Seattle and goes from hot to cold here fast). I am thinking if I trade the nice pants for denim and the button down shirts for long sleeved tees or other casual tops, I can keep wearing the sweaters, LOL. Maybe chunky cardigans instead of jackets. I get into a groove and have a hard time switching up my go-to wardrobe. If anyone has ideas/links for good deals on stuff that sounds suitable, thank you so much. Right now I live in: work clothes or work-out clothes or lounge/nursing mama house stuff or literally 1 pair of jeans. Need to beef it up.

To give you a sense of the place, the morning before I was called for an interview, I ordered 2 pricey suits, a silk blouse and a winter coat from Nordstorms. Now that I have taken this job, it could all easily go back for lack of need. I bought them to spiff up my look for coming interviews. I think I will keep one of the suits for lunches and public stuff.

Also, it is a fact of life that a small number of people there will potentially snatch and run with things like purses (they specifically cautioned me about this) so I think I need to get a small, flat bag I can wear criss cross over my shoulder when it is not locked up in my desk. My normal purse is a handbag, no shoulder options. Any ideas? I hate to have to think that way but it's just foolish to not consider the possibility.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2009, 09:21 AM
Before you even said it I immediately thought trouser jeans would be good. Khakis would work well too (I saw some nice looking ones in the Lands' End catalog- far more stylish than I am used to seeing there!).

Boring me would probably walk into Ann Taylor Loft and pick out a bunch of tops. Looking at their website most all of their options are casual and should be appropriate.

It'd be a slippery slope not to start showing up in yoga pants, a long sleeved fitted t-shirt and a fleece. :)

For a purse, what about a real purse but inside you could keep a pouch of sorts (or a small handbag) that you could pull out and lock up? The bag could be for style and transport but not really house anything you would be sad to have stolen.

Beth

egoldber
10-17-2009, 09:57 AM
In general, I think AT Loft is too dressy for what you are describing.

I think that long sleeve fitted T-shirts would fit the bill nicely. Some nice ones from LLBean or LandsEnd and nice jeans. Maybe clogs like Dansko?

Can I work there? ;)

ETA: As for a bag, how about a small Timbuk2 type bag. You can wear it messenger style, it doesn't scream "I have money in me!!!!" and is very comfy.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2009, 10:09 AM
I don't know, I was just looking at the ATL site and they have so many basic knit shirts. There are some I would rule out. But, worn alone without the millions of layers and accessories they pair with them in the stores they can be pretty casual. Spoken by someone with a bunch of the stuff and lives a very casual existence. :)
If you go to their blouses/ tops section, there are some I would rule out right away (like most of the 2nd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 11th and 13th rows) but lots of fair game in there. :)

I agree that l.s. t's from LL Bean and LE would work. I like the layering t's in the LE catalog.

Beth

vludmilla
10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
I think I would stick with jeans and nicer t-shirts and other very casual shirts. I like my trouser jeans but I would mix in some regular jeans too. Maybe some dark rinse ones as they can look more neat than faded jeans. It's not cheap but I like Boden for neat, unique looking casual shirts. Their sale should be coming in a few weeks.

octmom
10-17-2009, 10:37 AM
Right now, I am wearing a pair of fine-wale cords (sweetheart style) and a ribbed turtleneck, both from Old Navy. It's casual weekend wear for me, but would probably work at your new workplace. I bought both on sale for $15/ each in recent weeks, but I am pretty sure that even the non-sale prices are cheap.

Congrats on the new job!

ThreeofUs
10-17-2009, 10:59 AM
I'd visit LLB and LE web sites and look for their casual clothes. ITA that Khakis and Jeans with decent T's would be appropriate. LLB and LE sale/overstocks would be pretty cost-effective.

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 11:08 AM
Specifically about the purse issue.

How much do you carry in a purse?

If you don't carry much, you could go with the Coach Penelope swingpack cross body bag. In the atmosphere you describe, though, Coach might be over the top, KWIM?

What about something like this:

Lug Skipper bag: http://www.lugtravel.com/product/SKIPPER/SKIPPER__Skipper_Shoulder_Pouch.html

MEC small bag: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 4985&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&bmUID=1255791920132

MEC larger bag: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 3379&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&bmUID=1255791920131

REI has some bags that are kinda similar to the MEC ones, though IMO the MEC ones are waaaay nicer in features and price. For example, the Overland Donner at REI is similar in size to the larger MEC bag, but its $50 and the MEC one is $20.

I have all four of these bags, and some other styles too, so if you want more info, LMK.

kijip
10-17-2009, 01:44 PM
Specifically about the purse issue.

How much do you carry in a purse?

Right now I have in my purse: small wallet, small digital camera, cell phone, iTouch, pens, donation envelopes for the place a serve on the board, a business card holder, an envelope with coupons and reminders, a toothbrush, floss, lip balm and face moisturizer with SPF in a small bottle.

I think I can pare down to the small wallet, cell phone, iTouch (I'm reluctant to give that up since I'll be commuting on the bus because it's fast from my house and I hate driving downtown, to say nothing of parking!), a pen, a donation envelope. I can leave a toothbrush, floss, lip balm and lotion in my desk there rather than schlepping back and forth and I can move the camera to the diaper bag.

Thanks for your suggestions, I think I can find something I like there for sure! I am really glad I resisted the urge to get the hybrid red Butler bag- would be great for most fund devo jobs but way to easy to set down and then lose.

kijip
10-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Maybe clogs like Dansko?

ETA: As for a bag, how about a small Timbuk2 type bag. You can wear it messenger style, it doesn't scream "I have money in me!!!!" and is very comfy.

Ah! I will need new shoes (most all of my shoes except for my heels and sneakers are reaching the end of the line, been wearing out my loafers and my keen mjs are in sorry shape after 5 years, LOL) and Danskos would be perfect- sturdy, plain, comfortable and durable. Heels would not be comfortable for the situation or walking to the bus and sneakers outside the gym or exercise are just not me. :)

And Timbuk2 might be a good option, fun colors.

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Depending on the size of your wallet, you could maybe fit all that (2nd list) in the Lug crossbody purse, possibly the Coach one (though given the environment, I'd skip the Coach) and definitely the small MEC one.

Could you get an iPod shuffle (super small) instead of the Touch? They aren't pricey and if you are working in a sometimes sketchy environment, you might not even want to lock a Touch in your desk, KWIM?

You could fit all of the stuff in your first list in the large MEC bag, and have room to spare for an umbrella and/or water bottle & magazine.

FWIW, I always keep an emergency toiletry bag in my desk at work -- toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution, feminine hygiene stuff, tiny crochet hook (to pull through snags in sweaters), Tylenol, Advil, etc.. I've done that since I started working. I'm always shocked at how many people don't have any emergency supplies at work....

GL and congrats on the new job! :thumbsup:

kijip
10-17-2009, 02:06 PM
FWIW, I always keep an emergency toiletry bag in my desk at work -- toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash, contact solution, feminine hygiene stuff, tiny crochet hook (to pull through snags in sweaters), Tylenol, Advil, etc.. I've done that since I started working. I'm always shocked at how many people don't have any emergency supplies at work....

At my full-time jobs I have always done the same. My last office, I just had a drawer full of me stuff like that, along with snacks :)

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 02:07 PM
And Timbuk2 might be a good option, fun colors.

The smallest T2 bag used to be the Metro. I believe it has been renamed/reworked and is now the Mini. I have the Metro, the small and the medium messenger. If the Mini is like the Metro, its a big hole and bigger than what you need.

I'm liking the look of this new T2 bag: http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/messenger/messenger-mini/transit-mini-messenger

It looks more organized than the Mini/Metro. It might still be a bit big.

The small is more of a briefcase size. The medium is huge -- you could take the baby to work with you in it! LOL.

kijip
10-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Melissa- I am liking the lug in green a lot. Is it pretty durable?

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I think so. I mean, its not ballistic nylon like the MEC bags or the T2 bags. But, I've used mine a fair bit (not anywhere near daily, though) and it looks new. I have the hot pink.

Its quilted and a nylon(y) fabric. Or polyester? Not too shiny, though.

ETA: I'm pretty sure that the one I linked to is the bag I have, purchased about 6m ago, but it has been renamed. I think a lot of their bags were renamed though. It had a weird name before, can't remember what it was. That is the same bag, though. The front small zippered pocket is fleece lined for phones, etc. The main pocket is plenty big enough for a small wallet -- I have a large, chequebook sized wallet that just barely fits. My small Coach wallet fits with room to spare. The pocket on the back d/n have a zipper.

sadie427
10-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Katie, banana republic has had great trouser jeans on sale in the past 6 mo or so. I also like gap black or navy chinos. I personally would be reluctant to wear regular jeans to work even in that situation. I know where i'd go for shoes in our area if you still need them and want to pm me! Boden sale or codes would be a place for knit tops that last.

urquie
10-17-2009, 02:48 PM
the baggallini small wallet bag is pretty darn great. the strap is very adjustable - not mentioned below is that it can hang the long way, or lengthwise (i prefer lengthwise for ease of access to the inside). it comes in microfiber, but the nylon is much more practical for the pnw. :) it costs around $39, but is on sale for $27 here (http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/walletbagg_small_crinkle_nylon/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=47349&productid=791931&sourceID=GOOGFEED&color=Tomato&CAWELAID=26882376). eta - a cell phone fits in the outside pocket.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rWuNgWOpL._AA280_.jpg (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000072ZCI/ref=dp_image?ie=UTF8&s=apparel&img=PT02&color%5Fname=1)http://www.baggallini.com/images/prod_image_2/WBS107CB.gifhttp://www.baggallini.com/images/prod_expanded/wbs107_expand.gif

Wallet Bag (small)

The most versatile, organized and convenient bag ever.
Wear it around your waist, over your shoulder, across your body, attached to a belt or use as a wallet
Outside zippered pocket for cell phone or other small items
Roomy, secure interior with 3 zippered pockets, 2 pen and lipstick holders and 12 credit card slots
Includes a detachable, adjustable 52” strap
Lightweight water resistant fabric

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 02:56 PM
I have some Bagallini bags and they are functional. The Lug one is slightly more "upscale" (though not upscale like a Coach crossbody bag) and substantial. Hard for me to describe the difference, but the fabric of the Lug is nicer IMO.

Katie could get both in different colors. :thumbsup:

graciebellesmomma
10-17-2009, 03:39 PM
I'd go with Banana Republic and get some trouser jeans, some black trousers, a few long sleeve tees and a few cute cardies. They also have great flats right now, as does Target!
Banana has been having great sales!

I love my Sak cross over body bag. It's a flat lime green and sooo cute! Fits lot of stuff, but doesn't take up much room.

Here are a couple of ideas:
http://www.zappos.com/the-sak-handbags-pax-eco-canvas-crossbody
http://www.zappos.com/the-sak-handbags-silverlake-leather-crossbody
love the punch in this color, but i saw it in a chocolatey brown
at nordstrom.

sadie427
10-17-2009, 03:40 PM
I had a lug tote whose lining ripped right away; they replaced it and the second one ripped too-- at that point I gave up.

TwinFoxes
10-17-2009, 04:21 PM
My husband bought this purse for me for Christmas a few years back, and I loved it. I don't love big purses, or tiny purses, and this one was just right:

http://www.amazon.com/Tignanello-Perfect-Body-X/dp/B000UU3MLE

I also like the Three Dots brand of tees and tops Nordstrom sells, so if you do decide to take your clothes back you can do an exchange.

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2916674?Category=&Search=True&SearchType=keywordsearch&keyword=three+dots+in+All+Categories&origin=searchresults

This one is cotton jersey, which makes it a little more casual, but still has a button style: (obviously you don't have to wear it as tight as the model!)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3053605/0~2376776~2378685~2378689~2378710?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=2378710&P=1

A nice jeans jacket would probably work nicely for your new job, and will break up the cardigan look. I bet Banana Republic or The Gap has some, or ATL too.

Lands End has these great layering t-shirts. I bought a bunch of summer colors when they were on sale, and I love them, they're great.

http://www.landsend.com/pp/LongSleeveSolid1x1RibDeepVneckLayeringTee~193421_5 9.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::OOK&CM_MERCH=SRCH_00001&origin=search

Have fun shopping!!

elephantmeg
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I'd look at Eddie Bauer and look at jeans and cords. I wear their long sleeve shirts, cords (I think I got from gap outlet) and sweater/vest. I love my burgendy EB vest from last year-I wore it to a class at work last week with cords and a l/s shirt

egoldber
10-19-2009, 01:03 PM
The T2 back I was thinking of is very small. Maybe it is the Extra Small? Sarah has one and it is the perfect size for her for a small bag to carry a couple small chapter books, a water bottle and a snack.

Anyway, it's definitely the size of a small purse.

jent
10-20-2009, 10:54 PM
I have this bag:
http://www.ebags.com/sherpani/clover/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=109233
It's very small, but I can fit my wallet, ipod, cell, keys, and a pen in it.

kijip
10-21-2009, 01:30 AM
Thanks everyone! I tried on every pair of clogs but just didn't love any of them so I got these Naots from a local shoe store:

http://www.zappos.com/naot-footwear-sea-red-pepper-terra-cotta

I also got some jeans and a pair of khakis, a mix of cheap and nicer long sleeve t-shirts and cotton cardigan sweaters from the various suggestions- old navy, nordstrom (from the suit exchange $$ :bighand:) and lands end.

I have an over the shoulder bag from Laura Bee (local in Seattle) that is larger than I think ideal but is pretty casual and I can start using it again. I only stopped because I needed a smarter/more formal look for my last full-time job. It's similar to this one, just different colors:

http://www.laurabeedesigns.com/Rhoda-pr-5-c-2.html

It will work for now until I find something small I love. There are several short list options here!

I start tomorrow. Going to enjoy riding the bus with my new red shoes, trouser jeans and long sleeve tee-shirt + sweater. :jammin:

Thanks for all the input!

niccig
10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
I think all the suggestion will work out well. As for what you carry in you purse, pare it down to the bare minimum, and no expensive items. I volunteered for a while at a place on skid row here in LA. At the volunteer orientation we were told to watch what we wore/had on our person. I would wear jeans/khakis with t-shirt, fleece jacket and sneakers. I carried my old beat up back pack, and I had license, $20 in cash, and one credit card. I didn't wear any jewellery and my old digital watch.

kijip
10-21-2009, 11:11 PM
I think all the suggestion will work out well. As for what you carry in you purse, pare it down to the bare minimum, and no expensive items. I volunteered for a while at a place on skid row here in LA. At the volunteer orientation we were told to watch what we wore/had on our person. I would wear jeans/khakis with t-shirt, fleece jacket and sneakers. I carried my old beat up back pack, and I had license, $20 in cash, and one credit card. I didn't wear any jewellery and my old digital watch.

My situation is a little different because I am working in an office with a lock that only staff is allowed in and because I am working doing fundraising work which in order to be successful at I need to be ready to meet and greet people and fulfill their (often wide ranging) expectations. My interactions with clients is a passing in the hall, socially friendly one. Also, it's a small community in what I do in my city and very often whoever I am interacting with now is a potential future employer or partner/contact. So I need to project a certain image, while balancing that with the need to be modest and not showy.

From a no tears if I did lose something, I opted to take an old $20 Sansa MP3 instead of iTouch and leave my wedding rings off and wear a simple band instead. But nicely done hair, a watch and a little style is a necessity. I think I hit the right tone today, I was very comparably dressed to the Admin Director. Except he is a man, so his shoes were not red mary janes. :wink2: I was a little dressier than most of the staff, but I am the only fundraiser, so again the role and expectation is a little different.

niccig
10-22-2009, 02:37 AM
From a no tears if I did lose something, I opted to take an old $20 Sansa MP3 instead of iTouch and leave my wedding rings off and wear a simple band instead. But nicely done hair, a watch and a little style is a necessity. I think I hit the right tone today, I was very comparably dressed to the Admin Director. Except he is a man, so his shoes were not red mary janes. :wink2: I was a little dressier than most of the staff, but I am the only fundraiser, so again the role and expectation is a little different.

Sounds like you were perfectly dressed. The place where I volunteered had a fundraiser staff member that worked at another location. I met her at a work event of my husbands. She agreed to show me around the skid row location. She was very dolled up, expensive jewellery and drove a BMW. As part of the tour, we were driven around the surrounding streets, but the work van was unavailable, so she drove her BMW. One of the team supervisors came with us, and he would not let her drive down certain streets in her car. She wanted to, and he said "not in this car". I still remember the disparity between her Beamer and the streets. But, she did spend all her time fundraising with the wealthy Hollywood types, so she fit right in for her job. I was teaching job searching skills/resume writing, so jeans and t-shirt were fine for me.