PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 so frustrated

alexsmommy
10-17-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok, so for all the hype and concern that so many American's won't be vaxing - what about those of us who want the vax? Can't find it anywhere, constant reports that there won't be as much available as they thought and it's taking longer to get it out....
I don't want to let DH, DSD and DS2 get the mist even if I could find it unless it was after DS1 (ashtma) and I (pregnant) had the shot because of shedding.
Ugh.
I feel like I am trying to do what is best for my family after much, much agonizing and now I can't do it.
I have this horrible sense of dread that we will get it before I can get us all vaxed and immune.
I'm usually not an anxious person but lately I have found myself wondering what would happen if both DS1 and I were hospitalized...

jk3
10-17-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm completely stressed about this too. I assumed we would opt out from the vaccine as my DH feels strongly that the vaccines are not a great idea. I'm basically convinced that we should get the kids vaccinated for a variety of reasons but it sounds like it's going to be virtually impossible. We went through all sorts of hoops to get the boys their regular flu shots so I'm sure this will be even more challenging. You are high risk and I'm assuming Alex is too given his asthma. Try calling your OB, his pediatrician and your regular doctor too. I am usually extremely laid back about all of these issues but this one is stressing me out as well.

SnuggleBuggles
10-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I finally decided to get the regular flu shot and both the pediatrician and my Dr. were out this week. I know there are lots of other places to get the regular one though but it sure would have been nice to get it at one of those places. Odds aren't good that I'll make another trip for it. I figure that what will happen will happen and am really not too worried though.

Beth

o_mom
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
The vaccine has just been released. They are setting priorities on how to best protect the most people as quickly as possible while making sure the healthcare system remains up and running. That means healthcare workers, their families, etc. first. Our county just this last week received the first doses and all of those are going to first responders and specific hospital employees. They are not planning public clinics for low-risk target groups until December.

trentsmom
10-17-2009, 10:34 AM
H1N1 flu shot clinics just started opening around here this past week. I was able to get the shot yesterday, but I had to wait in line for 3 1/2 hours! They are giving the shots in our school system starting next week, so that's where DS1 will get his shots. It sounds like the other school system in the area wants the students to go to the clinics to get their shots. I can't imagine how crowded they're going to be since they are only open for limited hours 4 days a week.

Joolsplus2
10-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Our ped just got it this week, I sent dd2 down this morning for her flumist. We got a phone notice that they'd have the vax at schools for the big kids. I'm just waiting for either vax to be back available at the pharmacy and wishing we'd got the seasonal earlier when it was still in stock :/. (Two of my kids got the seasonal last month, at least).

baileygirl
10-17-2009, 12:10 PM
I have been stalking it too for my kids. Both will need 2 doses and I am concerned that it will be hard to find the second dose.

Does anyone know if 1 dose provides any protection to kids under 10? Otherwise we are looking at 5+ weeks for any kind of protection, and that is if things go smoothly.

mecawa
10-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I finally made the decision to have my girls vaccinated, but now can't find any vaccines in our area, it looks like it is going to be late Oct/early Nov.

Seitvonzu
10-17-2009, 02:26 PM
ugh- it IS frustrating. we got our seasonals (dh & I, lucy already had hers a couple weeks ago) at a "drive thru" clinic in out county. it was a fiasco! but i guess it could have been worse.i'm "high risk" because i have a metabolic disorder (diabetes) and don't want anyone in the family sick!! my endo. was zero help on finding the vaccines and told me to "ask the county people about h1n1"-- they said that they may or may not have the info on their website when the vaccines come in. guess it's time to stalk the health department. i'm sure they'll love that :):)

lucy has a pedi. appointment for nov 17th to get h1n1 (i suppose the first dose....she's had the seasonal flu vax before, but i guess this is different enough that she needs two doses?) they told me that by the middle of november they are sure to have the vaccine available for her. hopefully i can get it before then. i'm a stay at home mom so she's not exposed to too many other children except at the library/in the community- but i'm still super paranoid about getting sick! dh is traveling quite a bit this month and next, and i just canNOT get sick while he is away... i can barely manage myself when sick, so managing my toddler just won't happen.UGH

citymama
10-17-2009, 02:29 PM
It is driving me f%in nuts that neither my OB/midwife practice nor our pedi have the H1N1 shots, and are SO vague about when they will get it. My OB practice (which is in the biggest hospital in the city, and likely to get the first shipments) said, "talk to you midwife about it at your next appointment" - which isn't till mid-November! And the ped's asked me to call back in November, and also that 0-2s would be first priority, indicating we shouldn't hold our breath. What are we supposed to do?