PDA

View Full Version : Best User-Friendly Site for Group? calendar, msg board, file database, etc.

srhs
10-17-2009, 02:08 PM
I need to find a way to organize a group of 30 moms online with a calendar, message board, way to upload files, etc. I need it to be user-friendly and not require a big ta-doo to join. And, oh yea, free to administer would be good.

I asked about nesting.com awhile back, and no one was enthusiastic.
Yahoogroups seems to be too basic and boring, but maybe I am using it wrong...
FB groups don't seem to have these other options, but perhaps there's an app?

I'm SURE there are fabulous options I am just IGNORANT about. Please help! Bored moms of LOs are counting on you to help me get them organized and out of the house this frigid winter! ;)

WatchingThemGrow
10-17-2009, 02:32 PM
We use Google Groups. It isn't "pretty" per se, but it has the message borad, file space, etc. People can set up their own email prefs. You can do a Google Calendar as well, but not within the site. You invite the "group" and everyone in the group can have access to the calendar. Our members who already use google calendar find it is nice to have the info show up on their personal calendar.

alirebco
10-17-2009, 02:57 PM
www.bigtent.com

Reyadawnbringer
10-17-2009, 03:08 PM
www.bigtent.com

omg, I just took a look at that site and I love it! It sounds perfect for what the OP is looking for and its FREE! awesome.

alirebco
10-17-2009, 03:10 PM
omg, I just took a look at that site and I love it! It sounds perfect for what the OP is looking for and its FREE! awesome.

My moms group of about 30 just moved to this site from meetup.com since meetup does cost money. Granted, this is still a work in progress and they are making updates but we like the forum feature a ton better and it is free!

srhs
10-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Alrighty...I'm about to watch the recorded 50 mins bigtent demo! I do like the look of it better than anything else I've seen. Only feature I was really hoping for that I do not see is the option to have multiple forums within the message board. But maybe they have it, and I just don't see it!

kijip
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Just another thumbs up for Big Tent. I use it and it works well. And it has forums within the message board feature, for sure.

WatchingThemGrow
10-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I'm watching it now. Looks like fun. I still haven't clicked on my FlyLady intro to BigTent. Maybe I should.

alirebco
10-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Alrighty...I'm about to watch the recorded 50 mins bigtent demo! I do like the look of it better than anything else I've seen. Only feature I was really hoping for that I do not see is the option to have multiple forums within the message board. But maybe they have it, and I just don't see it!

We have multiple forums in our group - coffee chat, crafting, food & sleep, etc. A lot of things you have to do in order to actually see them, kwim?