PDA

View Full Version : Any BTDT tips for 4 & 2 yos w/bunk beds??

SASM
10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Our DDs share a small room. 4yo DD has been in a toddler bed and has completely outgrown it. 2yo DD is currently in her toddler bed (converted crib). The room is not large enough to set up a twin and keep a toddler bed. Our only option is to set up the twin bunks now (62" ht) and that TERRIFIES me with the 2yo. So...any BTDT advice?? We trust our 4yo will do fine on the top (she's had exposure, as our 6yo has the low-ht IKEA KURA bunk bed) but I am terrified about the 2yo going up there.

kijip
10-17-2009, 06:25 PM
I'd get a twin with a trundle for those ages. 4 seems young for sleeping on a top bunk. Or do the Kura with the 2 yo on the floor underneath and don't let the 2 yo play in there without a parent in the room.

daniele_ut
10-17-2009, 06:25 PM
I know you don't want to hear this, but there is no way I would use bunk beds with 2 children that small. Have you seen the extendable beds at Ikea? They start out the size of a toddler bed, but then you can make them larger. I don't know what the options are for mattresses, but perhaps something like that might work for your older dd.

Is there an option to move your 4 year old in with your 6 year old? Kids spend a lot of time in their rooms unsupervised (aka sleeping), and I know that I would never sleep knowing there was a possibility that the 2 year old could be climbing up top.

kijip
10-17-2009, 06:27 PM
Is there an option to move your 4 year old in with your 6 year old? Kids spend a lot of time in their rooms unsupervised (aka sleeping), and I know that I would never sleep knowing there was a possibility that the 2 year old could be climbing up top.

Yeah that seems like an idea- 4 yo on lower part of Kura, 6 year old on top with the toddler in a bed in the other room. You can always move the girls back in together once they are older.

KrisM
10-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Yeah that seems like an idea- 4 yo on lower part of Kura, 6 year old on top with the toddler in a bed in the other room. You can always move the girls back in together once they are older.

:yeahthat:

I would not do a bunk with a 2 year old, either.

SASM
10-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Thank you! I am VERY uneasy about the idea and agree with all of you completely. Unfortunately, 6yo DS doesn't want to share. His room is even smaller than DDs and he is really liking his privacy right now. We have also started keeping them private during changing, etc. That being said, I do remember seeing a bunk with a trundle option somewhere. I can look into getting that option and just not set up the ladder for a while. Again, not sure if the room will accomodate. UGH!!! and Hmmmm...

KrisM
10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Can you put a toddler bed in your bedroom for the 2 year old?

kristac
10-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I have a 4 year old and a two year old that share bunks. There are rules and so far (5 months) we have not had any issues. The 2 year old is not allowed to climb the ladder, no jumping, etc. The top bunk has a rail all the way around (excet the ladder) and we have a bedrail on the bottom bunk as well. The 4 year old generally ends up sleeping on the bottom bunk with his brother anyway. :love-retry:

crl
10-17-2009, 06:59 PM
We bought our then 5 year old something from this collection:

http://www.csnbunkbeds.com/Berg-Furniture-22-905-XX-FX1021.html

Because the beds are in an L configuration the top bunk is not nearly as high up. Also there are no ladders. We opted to leave the stairs off as well, partly because I figured DS would be more likely to play on them. He gets to the top bunk by climbing on the bottom one and pushing himself up with his arms into the top.

Catherine

WatchingThemGrow
10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
I'd opt for the trundle idea as well. We have one from Young America. it slides out nicely.

Our bunks are going to be set up as twins (and can have a trundle too) for the first 4 years we have them. I think my greatest fear as a parent is a broken bone. I've never had one myself.

randomkid
10-17-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't do it. My stepdaughters were 6yo and 8yo before we got bunk beds for them. DSD2 was short, so actually slept in a toddler bed until she was 6yo (only because there wasn't enough room for 2 beds and we weren't willing to do bunk beds until they were older), then we went to bunk beds.

What about a daybed with a trundle? I would feel much safer with that set up. http://www.day-beds-daybeds.com/IVG2/N/ProductID-103047.htm

Here's a twin bed with a trundle - maybe you could do something like this

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/everythingfurniture_2072_696865671

o_mom
10-17-2009, 08:04 PM
How about a full size bed that they can share until they are older?

fivi2
10-17-2009, 08:14 PM

:yeahthat:

My twin 4 yos share a queen (because that is what we had). It is actually turned sideways (that is how it worked out), so they sleep across the horizontal part, if that makes sense. They have tons of room.

eta: brain freeze - my girls are still 3 for a couple more months! (not that it matters, I am just losing my mind...)

bubbaray
10-17-2009, 08:26 PM
My 5.5yo and 2.5yo share a bunk bed (oldest on top) when we RV. Little different than on a regular basis at home, though. Personally, knowing my 2.5 yo, I would NOT trust her to not climb up the ladder unattended. She does that a LOT on our outdoor playset.

So, no, I would not do bunk beds for those ages.

JBaxter
10-17-2009, 08:36 PM
I think 6 is about the youngest age they recommend bunk beds. I would not trust a 2 yr old not to climb to the top bunk. I think a trundle or a full size bed would be your best option.

SASM
10-17-2009, 09:03 PM

That would be great but the room is very small w/ a weird layout (closets, windows, heating vents, etc). I would separate the bunks into 2 twins if I could but the room cannot accomodate it. I really do not even think that the room will hold a twin and toddler bed. :( Strangely, it fits a toddler bed, crib, dresser, and small bookshelf, though. We actually have a daybed and trundle for guests and would move it into the DDs room but that will not even fit. UGH!!!

Please keep the suggestions coming. I know that I am vetoing a lot of ideas...that's why I have the dilemma. THANK YOU!!!

SASM
10-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I think 6 is about the youngest age they recommend bunk beds.

Yup...age 6 for the top bunk.

jillmk
10-17-2009, 09:37 PM
We looked at the Berg set for my 3 year old twins. They had no problems with the steps, and it seemed like a nice bed. But we ended up buying a Maxtrix set--the low loft with a bed underneath in an L shape, similar to the Berg. For about the same price, we felt that the Maxtrix gave us more options in the future if we wanted to convert it to bunks, or two lofts, etc. With another bed underneath the low loft there isn't a ton of room, but we pulled out the bottom bed so only about 1' overlaps.

BarbieSmith
10-17-2009, 10:30 PM
My girls are 3 and 4 and are doing *fabously* with their new staircase bunk. I wish I could add a photo because I added pink curtains and plastic windows for both tiers!

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.bunk-beds-loft-beds.com/product.php?name=ginger-twin-staircase-bunk-bed&part_no=7011&category_id=1

It is so sturdy and because it has a real staircase that makes and "L" shape, they just *cannot* fall when coming down to use the restroom in the middle of the night. They LOVE it!

It is indeed plain and functional in appearance - nothing fancy. But sturdy. My 3-year old and I assembled it ourselves, we only needed daddy once, for 3 minutes.

I hope this helps!
Barbie

baileygirl
10-18-2009, 12:13 AM
We also have Matrix bunk beds, but do not yet have them set up as a bunk bed. Anyway, they are pretty low as far as bunk beds go. You can also get a ladder that has a bar on the side to help them yet up the ladder. There is also a tent thing you can get for the top bunk, and I have been wondering if that would help make it safer?

s7714
10-18-2009, 12:23 AM
My girls are 3 and 4 and are doing *fabously* with their new staircase bunk. I wish I could add a photo because I added pink curtains and plastic windows for both tiers!

Anyway, here is the link: http://www.bunk-beds-loft-beds.com/product.php?name=ginger-twin-staircase-bunk-bed&part_no=7011&category_id=1

It is so sturdy and because it has a real staircase that makes and "L" shape, they just *cannot* fall when coming down to use the restroom in the middle of the night. They LOVE it!

It is indeed plain and functional in appearance - nothing fancy. But sturdy. My 3-year old and I assembled it ourselves, we only needed daddy once, for 3 minutes.

I hope this helps!
Barbie

Wow, I wish I'd seen something like that back when we bought our bunk beds! I love that design!

kep
10-18-2009, 12:44 AM
My boys bunk, and they are 6.5 and 2.5 (three in December). I am not comfortable with a full height bunk, so we have the Kura for them. The older one is on the top, and the younger one is on a twin mattress directly on the floor under the older one. They love it, and surprisingly, the youngest really has not tried to climb up. He did it once or twice with us right there, but has no tried it since. It works for us.

ETA-My oldest son is at the absolute youngest that I would be comfortable with on a regular bunk. Regular bunk are just way too dangerous for smaller children. I agree with Jeanna that 6 is the minimum rec'd age.

mariza
10-18-2009, 09:36 AM
We were given bunks by our neighbors who moved when DD was 4.5 and DS was 2.75. I was really nervous about putting them in bunks but DS was getting too big for his toddler bed and when I suggested moving DD into her own room she said no, she wanted to keep sharing a room with her little brother. We went ahead and set the bunks up (room was too small to have them set up as 2 twins).
DD is really good about staying in her bed and DS does sometimes climb up there, but only when I'm in the room and never at night. He is more apt to get out of his bed and climb into ours then try to get into his sisters.
So yeah, the recommended age is 5-6 but we haven't had an issue especially since DD is more than happy to run and tell when DS is doing something he isn't supposed to be doing.

doberbrat
10-18-2009, 09:58 AM
its a huge safety issue so IMO the 6yo doesnt get to refuse. a 2yo falling out of the top bunk could REALLY get hurt. switch rooms so he gets to share the larger room if you like but sometimes, we have to do things for the good of the family that we dont like.

and frankly, I also think a 4yo in a reg bunkbed is just way too young. it might be fine when they're playing and awake but I have visions of nighttime potty trips and it just isnt pretty. even if she doesnt NORMALLY get up at night, one day she will and thats the day she could easily get hurt.

I hear you on small rooms. we're in a 1000sqft 2br house w/a 4yo and #2 on the way. in 2 years, I'm going to have this EXACT problem.

fwiw, I have the extendable ikea bed. we just set it up last week specifically b/c the room isnt big enough for a full twin w/a crib in there. I dont love it and I wouldnt nec want to sleep on that mattress as an adult but dd is Quite happy and loves the bed. I've been in it and it seems sturdy enough etc.

Momof3Labs
10-18-2009, 10:15 AM
Sharyn, can you move anything else out of the room? If the dresser and bookshelf got moved out (perhaps to DS's room, your room or the hallway?), could you fit a twin + toddler bed or twin + trundle?

I wouldn't do true bunk beds for kids that age. We got bunks this summer for DSs (7yo and 3.5yo) and the 7yo does fine, but we had to work on the 3.5yo to teach him that he could not be climbing up the ladder all the time.

vejemom
10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Where is the guest daybed with trundle located? Could you just have them sleep there and use their bedroom as a playroom for a while? I have a 2.5 year old, and I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her around a bunk bed.