PDA

View Full Version : Taking drinks on plane for a toddler? and other similar question

bunyvet
10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I have been reading the TSA travel stuff and I am very confused! We leave on Thursday to go to Florida with a 2 year old. TSA says you can take accepatble amounts of liquids needed for the flight for babies and toddlers. Does this mean I can take drinks for my 2 year old? Do they have to be sealed? can they be in a Foogo (which is metal)? I could just take a drink box of apple juice or milk if it would be ok.
Also, can you take liquid hand sanitizer now if it fits in your 1 quart ziplock bag?
And last, can you take food for the toddler like cheerios or cheese sticks?

Thanks! This is our first flight with a child and I will be slightly sedated to get on the plane so I want it to be easy for DH!

Andrea

okinawama
10-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Each time I've traveled with my son (7months) we've been allowed a sippy cup (plastic) of water and a larger (I'd say 24oz) bottle of water. I've been stopped one time but I mentioned that the water bottle is for formula mixing and they said that was fine. I bring many snacks for me and my son on the flight and have never had a problem, so I'm sure you're fine.

I also bring hand sanitizer that attaches to my back pack and have never had any issues, but just to be safe you could throw it in you ziploc bag of liquids.

bunyvet
10-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks! I am wondering how old "toddler" applies to. I would think two should still be a toddler although he looks older....
Well, we will probably just go for it and see what happens.

Thatchermom
10-18-2009, 07:04 PM
What happened for us (with a nearly two year old) was that she went nuts when they took her milk away to run their tests on it! She was already upset about the shoes thing and her milk walking away was the last straw, even if it did only take a minute. On our return flight I brought her sippy empty and bought milk once we were past security. It was a much happier day. Snacks were no problem.

clc053103
10-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I took juice and snacks for a 3 year old (a very large one too) and had no issues. I just put them in their own quart size bags and said "these are for the toddler" and they gave me no issue at all.

ahrimie
10-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I've also had no problem. I took a TON of milk: one in sippy and a big 20 oz container with it; they did some tests but that was it. I also took a water bottle.

From previous posts, it seems like it varies from airport to airport. But I've had no problems going in and out of DTW, OKC, CHS.

rlu
10-19-2009, 02:59 PM
You can take cheerios and cheese. We took granola bars, fun fruit, chewy candy for ear pressure, pretzels, etc. We took empty thermos and filled it with water past security. I know from previous posters that some airports have extremely limited facilities beyond security though. If you post the airport, people may have more specific information for you. I haven't gone through an aiport in MI so I can't address your specific airport.

I think you're ok with the hand sanitizer as well.

WatchingThemGrow
10-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I've had water dumped out of my bottles before, with the formula packed right next to it. We're also flying to FL Thursday with a 3yo, an almost 2yo, and a 4mo. I'll bring all the drinks I think we'll need and they can dispose of them as they see fit. Hopefully, with 3 little kids and only 2 adults, I would HOPE they'd have pity on us, unlike the TSA people in Nashville. Just be prepared to buy stuff on the other side if necessary. See you in FL!:wavey:

arivecchi
10-19-2009, 03:16 PM
I take formula for my baby with me but not drinks for the toddler. I just buy drinks for him at the airport.