PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE- How do I know if my kids have already had H1N1...

gatorsmom
10-18-2009, 04:05 PM
I took the boys to the ped this morning and they tested negative for the flu. So, I guess they will be getting the H1N1 vax whenever it becomes available here.

Thanks for everyone's help and concerns.

----------------------------------------------------
and thus won't need the vax? The reason I ask is because Gator and Cha Cha right now have fevers and really bad cough. All-in-all, though, they are not doing too badly. No throwing up, no diarrhea, no nausea. They are eating and drinking less but still eating and drinking. SiSi has had a bit of a fever too, and a less frequent cough. Since they are eating, drinking, breathing well and Tylenol seems to be treating their other aches and pains, I"m not going to take them to the doctor. I"ve heard there is no point anyway, since the doctor probably won't test for swine flu (I could be wrong about this). So, if they ARE experiencing swine flu right now, would I need to get them vaxed? How will I know if all 4 of my kids are now immune to it?

Anyone already gone through this? TIA!

icunurse
10-18-2009, 04:30 PM
From what I have heard, if you have the H1N1, you'll know it. The few people I know whose kids had what the docs diagnosed as H1N1 had kids with a really bad flu - achy, coughing, fever, withdrawn. From what you describe, I'm not sure that even sounds like the "regular" flu.

KrisM
10-18-2009, 04:34 PM
I thought the doctors were testing for flu and just assuming it's h1n1 if it's positive.

The symptoms sound right for h1n1 with the fever and cough. I haven't seen it in real life and I don't know how to be sure it is or not.

I hope the kids feel better soon!

g-mama
10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
All five of us have H1N1 now. It's been a miserable 10 days. Fever ranging between 100-105, horrible coughing, lethargic, some congestion...in some of our cases, eating didn't change but for others, eating was almost nothing.

Of the five of us, only 3 were tested. Of those 3, 2 came back positive, 1 negative. However, the doctors said we all clearly have the same thing and emphasized how unreliable the test is. I think testing is varying greatly as physicians try to figure this out. For us, they didn't want to do it to all three kids when it was obvious they had it. It does not feel good!!

It sounds like your kids have the symptoms, except that each of us felt like we'd been run over by a truck. I mean just awful. So I honestly don't know! I'd probably call the ped and ask if they want the kids to be seen or not.

gatorsmom
10-18-2009, 04:41 PM
From what I have heard, if you have the H1N1, you'll know it. The few people I know whose kids had what the docs diagnosed as H1N1 had kids with a really bad flu - achy, coughing, fever, withdrawn. From what you describe, I'm not sure that even sounds like the "regular" flu.

I guess I was hoping that maybe we were getting off easy with a weaker version of it or that all those fortified Micky D's chicken nuggets were making my kids super healthy and less affected by it! :ROTFLMAO:

Thank you for your well-wishes, Kris. :)

lcarlson90
10-18-2009, 06:32 PM

This is not necessarily true. All of us had H1N1 three weeks ago. We all tested positive at the doctor's office. I don't think it was any worse than the seasonal flu. We all had fevers ranging from 100 to 102, chills, aches and cough. I would not have known me or the kids had H1N1 if we had not been tested.

bubbaray
10-18-2009, 06:36 PM
The docs here are telling people if they have the flu, they have H1N1 as that is the only flu circulating in our area right now (2nd wave of the pandemic has hit).

I would call your doc and ask, s/he will know what flu strains are circulating in your area.

brittone2
10-18-2009, 06:52 PM
This is not necessarily true. All of us had H1N1 three weeks ago. We all tested positive at the doctor's office. I don't think it was any worse than the seasonal flu. We all had fevers ranging from 100 to 102, chills, aches and cough. I would not have known me or the kids had H1N1 if we had not been tested.

One of Dh's coworkers in his lab was sick w/ H1N1. Not officially confirmed, but she had every symptom out there. Her roommate is a med student in her final year and told the young woman with the symptoms that it "couldn't be H1N1 because you can still sit up in a chair"...:dizzy:

Thatchermom
10-18-2009, 06:53 PM
Our doc also said if it is flu, it is H1N1 right now. Seasonal flu isn't in our area yet either. DS didn't think the test was too bad, they didn't bother testing the rest of us after that. We are on day 6 now. Only 1 or 2 days for each of us have been bad, and they were REALLY bad. And there wasn't really anything they did for us after seeing us anyway.

g-mama
10-18-2009, 07:08 PM
It seems to vary greatly. My dh has been REALLY sick for 8 days now. I've never seen him this sick in the 16 yrs we've been together. My 3 year old has been REALLY sick for 7 days now. For 7 days, he's been barely able to walk and barely able to hold his eyes open. He isn't eating. He developed a double ear infection and is on antibiotics for that now. I have had to take him and my 6yo into the ER separately to have chest x-rays because they were worried it was pneumonia. Thank God it wasn't. 5+ days of fevers of 104-105 is scary.

If you and/or your kids have a mild case, be glad.

Sillygirl
10-18-2009, 08:33 PM
In my area, we are only testing patients if we would consider treating them with antivirals: pregnant women, young children and those sick enough to be hospitalized. Other places may test different groups.

You can't reliably diagnose flu from other non-flu viral illnesses based on the symptoms you're having.

In most of the North American continent, H1N1 is the only flu circulating in any significant amount. If your flu screen is positive, you have H1N1 flu. If you flu screen is negative and you're sick, you still may very well have H1N1, but there's no definitive way to tell. That's frustrating for many people, but a definitive test isn't a high priority to develop right now, since the vast majority of people will get better without any special treatment.

mamicka
10-18-2009, 08:39 PM
We've been suffering with something as well. Nauseau, fever, sore throat, coughing, etc. DS3 vomitted as well. DS1 was tested at Children's & it came back negative but we were told (by Children's & our regular ped) that we should assume that it's H1N1. The test isn't that accurate.

gatorsmom
10-18-2009, 08:53 PM
You can't reliably diagnose flu from other non-flu viral illnesses based on the symptoms you're having.

Yeah, I'm really thinking that this isn't the flu. Or even seasonal flu. The kids just aren't sick enough, according to the many stories i"ve been hearing. I was just hoping against all hope that this was it and I didn't have to worry anymore. I suspect, however, that this is just some other virus and now I can worry about the kids catching H1N1 as a secondary infection. yippee.

To g-mama, I"m so sorry you are going through that with your DH and kids. It sounds really scary.

bubbaray
10-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I'm really thinking that this isn't the flu. Or even seasonal flu. The kids just aren't sick enough, according to the many stories i"ve been hearing. .

Honestly, I would call your doc and ask. When we were at Children's ER this week, the docs there told us that the H1N1 they are seeing in little kids is quite mild. It is hit and miss in teens (ie., can be more severe), but they are suprised at how mild it is in the younger kiddos. FWIW, I was completely shocked when we walked in the doors of the ER. Normally, it is packed, it was completly empty -- and we are in the middle of the 2nd wave of the pandemic here. It was kinda creepy, actually.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that what is circulating in your area isn't as severe as in other areas. GL!

lablover
10-18-2009, 09:13 PM
I would see if you can get them tested. My neighbor's 11 year old has it right now. She took him to see the dr. on Friday because he had a fever and sore throat. He was negative for strep. The dr. said it wasn't H1N1 because he didn't have achiness. She demanded a test because she has a baby in the house (and the 11 year old has asthma). Turns out it is in fact H1N1. As far as I know, he isn't doing too badly. He is still running a fever and has a cough but no vomiting or anything. I think she started him on tamiflu yesterday.

Laurel
10-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Honestly, I would call your doc and ask. When we were at Children's ER this week, the docs there told us that the H1N1 they are seeing in little kids is quite mild. It is hit and miss in teens (ie., can be more severe), but they are suprised at how mild it is in the younger kiddos. FWIW, I was completely shocked when we walked in the doors of the ER. Normally, it is packed, it was completly empty -- and we are in the middle of the 2nd wave of the pandemic here. It was kinda creepy, actually.

Anyway, it is entirely possible that what is circulating in your area isn't as severe as in other areas. GL!

I've had two peds tell me that many of the cases in young children are very, very mild.

gatorsmom
10-18-2009, 09:18 PM
I've had two peds tell me that many of the cases in young children are very, very mild.

You know, I think I will take all your advice and get the 3 kids tested at the peds tomorrow. And, if it IS H1N1, I"m going to make sure Greenbean is exposed to it. And me too. Is that screwed up? It just seems too mild to be true.

g-mama
10-18-2009, 09:23 PM

Don't I wish?! Our peds said they sent more kids to the hospital than she could count last week because of the flu in our area.

lilycat88
10-18-2009, 09:23 PM
We all had it and DD was confirmed with type A flu (assumed H1N1). Honestly, if I hadn't known that Susanna was positive, I wouldn't have assumed we had it. We all had fevers (101-102) and aches for about 36 hours. DD had a lot of nasal congestion that led to a cough and a secondary sinus infection but she's been much sicker before with just a cold. Her fever developed at about 5pm Thursday night, she was diagnosed at 2:00 the next day and started Tamiflu (history of asthma) and woke up Saturday morning fever free and climbing the walls with boredom. She was at school on Thursday, missed Friday and if Saturday had been a school day, she would have gone back had it not been H1N1. I would have pushed through and gone to work with no hesitation because I just didn't feel that bad. I came down with it 3 days after DD and DH came down with it 3 days after me.

g-mama
10-18-2009, 09:26 PM
We all had it and DD was confirmed with type A flu (assumed H1N1). Honestly, if I hadn't known that Susanna was positive, I wouldn't have assumed we had it. We all had fevers (101-102) and aches for about 36 hours. DD had a lot of nasal congestion that led to a cough and a secondary sinus infection but she's been much sicker before with just a cold. Her fever developed at about 5pm Thursday night, she was diagnosed at 2:00 the next day and started Tamiflu (history of asthma) and woke up Saturday morning fever free and climbing the walls with boredom. She was at school on Thursday, missed Friday and if Saturday had been a school day, she would have gone back had it not been H1N1. I would have pushed through and gone to work with no hesitation because I just didn't feel that bad. I came down with it 3 days after DD and DH came down with it 3 days after me.

Tamiflu can make a big difference from what I've heard from friends and neighbors. Ours will not give Tamiflu for kids who are not at risk (asthma, for example, like your dd). My next door neighbor's daughter got Tamiflu (no risk factor, different ped) and was better in two days.

Ceepa
10-18-2009, 10:19 PM
The flu swept through my house over the last few weeks. Super mild compared with what everyone was saying. It was inconvenient more than anything. DC handled it well and recovered easily. No vaccines here and no plans to kept them, especially now. I was really pleasantly surprised.

Lisa, let us know how the tests come back.

Laurel
10-18-2009, 10:31 PM
Don't I wish?! Our peds said they sent more kids to the hospital than she could count last week because of the flu in our area.

Oh, I am sure many kids are getting really sick as well. I did not mean to deny that! We are taking this flu very seriously here.

I have just heard from two different practices that many of the younger kids in our area are showing very mild symptoms. We have been told by our school to assume that anything with a fever is probable H1N1.

gatorsmom
10-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Update in the first post.

HIU8
10-19-2009, 02:10 PM
We have all been sick here. All of us have had mild mild fevers (like not even 100) except for DH who had 102 for 2 days. We all have felt yucky, runny noses, sore throats, ear aches, really bad coughs and just run down feeling. DH and I were tested for flu, strep and had chest x-rays. everything was negative. DS was given a strep test and it was negative, but he possibly has an ear infection (ped said it may be but we are watching him to see if he complains etc... b/c it wasn't super infected looking). DD is the only one who wasn't super sick, but it's just been lingering. We probably have either very very mild flu or really bad colds.

american_mama
10-20-2009, 02:02 AM
I think I'm in the same boat at gatorsmom, the original poster. I just don't know if any of us had swine flu or not.

DD was sick for 7 days last week, but she had a random day or afternoon of being better. Her ped thought she did not have flu because she'd had those 1-2 days of feeling better. The ped thought she had some illness, got a bit better, then got the ear infection which brought her down again. But her symptoms are swine flu-like: she had a fever of perhaps 100 on and off for days (maybe 103 one day, I don't remember), got an ear infection, no appetite (lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks... that's 5% of her weight), hoarseness and some coughing, minor vomiting (mostly just spit). I did not ask for a flu test, but now wish I had.

I had a minor version of this - sore throat, hoarseness and cough for 3 days - and DS had a very minor version - random fever, moderate coughing for 7 days.

I feel a bit dumb vaccinating DD or us for something we've had, but I don't know that we've had it. The flu in general irritates me enormously in its vagueness and similarity to other cold symptoms; it is very hard for me to take it seriously when I can't distinguish it from an ordinary cold.