PDA

View Full Version : Balance bikes..how old at transition to real bike?

swampnurse
10-18-2009, 04:14 PM
My son had a traditional bike w/ training wheels but when we bought his little sister a balance bike for her 2nd bday he immediately hijacked it. He rode the little pink Specialized Hotwalk for six months and then went straight back to his big boy Trek bike without training wheels and took off without a wobble. It made me an instant believer! He was 4.5 when he made the transition.

Now my daughter (the original owner of the Hotwalk) is now a little over 3. She is pretty good on the balance bike but we want to buy her a real bike for Christmas as she is really too tall for the Hotwalk. Do you think 3.5 is a realistic age to transition to a pedal bike? We do not intend to put the training wheels on the new bike.

When did your child make the transition if he/she never rode anything but a balance bike?

KrisM
10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
We did the same thing - got DD a Hotwalk at age 2 and her brother took it over. It took him a few weeks and we got rid of his training wheels. He was a couple days past 4 years.

We just took DD's training wheels off a few weeks ago and she was 3 in June. She lacks some confidence, but can totally ride with no training wheels now. So, no, I don't think 3.5 is too young :).

swampnurse
10-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Good to know. Thanks! She turned three on July 31, so we'll give her until Christmas to master the Hotwalk and then go straight to the two wheeler without training wheels.

Did she figure out how to brake easily using the pedals?

Any tips? Was thinking of borrowing one of those bars that stick up so the adults can hang on it until she gets her balance. My friend has one I can use.

KrisM
10-18-2009, 05:58 PM
She did have a training wheel bike, so she learned to brake on that.

We've just done the jog behind method of teaching.

swampnurse
10-19-2009, 11:17 AM
anyone else have any input on this subject?

Carlasmom
10-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Absolutely not too young! My DD transitioned from her balance bike to a regular bike without training wheels at 3 1/2. It took her about 15 minutes to learn to ride her bike. I just had to keep reminding her to keep on pedaling FAST. The faster one is the easier it is to keep ones balance, right? :)

Good luck!

o_mom
10-19-2009, 02:53 PM
DS2 got a pedal bike for his 4th b-day and didn't even need practice - took the bow off and rode it (braking took some practice). He probably could have done it at 3.5, but we had just transitioned DS1 and wanted to give him some time being the 'big kid on a pedal bike' before turning DS2 loose. Then it was winter, so 4th birthday seemed to be the right time more for us than him. .

cpapay
10-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Our DD was a balance bike only kid. She got her Hotwalk at age 2 1/2 and at 3 1/2 we put her on a pedal bike without training wheels and she did great. She was used to stopping with her feet on the hotwalk, so she started doing that on her pedal bike until she got used using the coaster brake. I'm a little sad that we will be selling the hotwalk...it was such an awesome bike for DD to learn on...she wasn't ever afraid of falling when we put her on the pedal bike because the balance bike helped her build the balancing skills and confidence.

HTH

swampnurse
10-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks! We will buy her a Hotrock or some other similar bike for Christmas and see how she does. She will be 3 yrs, 5 months. The Hotwalk was SO small, so hopefully a 16" Hotwalk won't be too tough to adjust to.

o_mom
10-20-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks! We will buy her a Hotrock or some other similar bike for Christmas and see how she does. She will be 3 yrs, 5 months. The Hotwalk was SO small, so hopefully a 16" Hotwalk won't be too tough to adjust to.

Balance bikes are usually smaller than the pedal bike size the child will use. They have to be able to sit with feet flat on a balance bike vs. just touching on a pedal bike. DS1 went from a 12" balance bike to a 14" pedal bike, but DS2 went from a 12" balance bike to a 12" pedal bike, then quickly up to a 16" pedal bike within a couple months.

Some of it is the way the frame is shaped as well. Our 14" TRU bike is taller in the seat than the 16" Trek Jets we got off CL (both at lowest setting). Best thing to do is to try out the bikes in a store. Makes it hard to have a surprise, but better than getting attached to a bike that is the wrong size.

kochh2
10-21-2009, 07:00 AM
our Ds was also riding the target wooden balance bike since about 3 -ish, and at 4.5, he could pedal a regular bike, but was just a bit too short to start and stop safely-- he is to big for balance bik,e but continues to prefer that over his real bike. Now, at 5, he is a pro, gets on and rides independently, and like PP, i als ned to remind him a little to go faster LOL :) I'll regret that soon, i'm sure hehe...

niccig
10-22-2009, 02:27 AM
DS got the balance bike at 3 yo, and was riding a 12" bike with pedals and no training wheels at 3 yo 9 months. As I was 7 and still had training wheels, I am very proud that he's more coordinated than his mother!