PDA

View Full Version : When do you give out 'goody bags' at your parties?

ourbabygirl
10-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Just for your kids' birthdays? Or for holiday or other parties, too? Also, what ages do you get them for? For instance, we've got some 1 year olds coming for a Halloween party; would you give them a goody bag? Or from what age 'up' (e.g., those ages 3-10 get goody bags)? I was thinking of giving the kids little plastic snack containers (name written on with glow-in-the-dark puffy paint) with a prepackaged bag of Goldfish crackers for the ride home.
I'm new to the whole favors/ goody bag thing; please enlighten me! ;)

TIA!

AbbysMom
10-18-2009, 08:32 PM
I only do it at birthday parties. We gave pumpkins at my daughters party a couple weeks ago and my 12 year old niece was shcoked she got one so 10 as a limit seems right. We've gotten gifts for our 1 year old at parties - usually a small book. I think it's discretionary.

ETA: your gift sounds great!

misshollygolightly
10-18-2009, 09:16 PM
I think your snack-for-the-road treat sounds great! No need to do anything more. I think the general rule for goody bags or favors is that you give them at parties where (most of) the guests are bringing gifts (so birthday parties, bridal showers, baby showers, some weddings, etc.). I often buy or make party decorations that can double as favors, so I tend to give them away for all kinds of other parties (halloween rubber duckies will be part of the decor at our halloween party, and the guests can choose one to take home). But mostly, I think people stick to favors when gifts are given.

Also, I think favors are at the host's discretion. They are a nice touch, but not something that I necessarily expect (or want my DS to act entitled to!).

SnuggleBuggles
10-18-2009, 09:38 PM
My friends did it while the b-day kid was opening their presents and the kids were 1-3yo. It worked great b/c gift opening at parties at that age can be a bit dicey. The guests were distracted with their new things. But, handing them out as people are leaving works well too.

Beth

alien_host
10-18-2009, 11:28 PM
I do them for b'day parties. I had a valentine party last year and didn't do a formal goody bag but each child made a craft and I also gave a small item as a "gift".

I'm having a halloween party and I'm giving out goody bags with halloween trinkets....pretzels bags, stickers, pencil, bat rings, playdough, mini puzzles etc. I just love goody bags!

ETA the kids will range from infant (probably no goody bag since nothing I have is appropriate) to 5 years old. If there is just one older child, I'd give something b/c I personally don't like kids to feel left out, but that's me. I even give our niece/nephew something (usually candy/snacks) in a bag b/c they enjoy it.

kransden
10-19-2009, 12:19 AM
For little kids, 2 or less, during the present opening so they had something to do. I gave them a simple toy. Older, as they leave with a snack for the road.

vonfirmath
10-19-2009, 06:22 AM
I'd give the 1 year old something. The older kids (esp. siblings) will notice if you leave them out and depending on his actual age, he may notice being left out too! Oh and the mommies may not have kindly feelings to you either if their kids are slighted when everyone else is getting something.

WitMom
10-19-2009, 06:41 AM
I would do a favor for a birthday party, and probably also a Halloween party. Holiday parties I probably wouldn't. I would definitely include the 1 y.o.'s. Depending on old of a 1 y.o. they are, they will catch on if they didn't get something.

SASM
10-19-2009, 07:58 AM
I am a goodlie bag person so we always give them out (except for the Build-a-Bear party)...birthday parties, school parties (Halloween, Valentine's Day, etc). We started doing it in preschool (2y), especially since we lived away from familiy and couldn't guarantee that DCs would have much of a "friend" party due to unpredictable turnouts. For large #s, I almost always do one food item (small raisins, fruit snack, or nut-free candy) and a non-food item (stickers, bookmarks, pencils, car, etc) or something interesting if I find a deal. You goodlie idea souds adorable and IMO appropraie for a 1yo.

Melaine
10-19-2009, 09:17 AM
We just had a playdate party (only two other children besides my girls) for their 3rd birthday. (We did a family party on the weekend). I ended up giving the goody bags near the beginning of the party because my kiddos had helped pick out the items and knew they were waiting to be opened!
I bought a pack of 15 glow bracelets at Michaels ($1), had some mini-playdoh (from Kmart clearance), some minipuzzles from awhile ago and each child got a little horse from Michaels (Safari brand). They went over well. The bracelets were certainly a cheap hit. (probably not safe for tiny ones).
I would definitely get something for the 1 year olds as well....the Dollar Spot at Target usually has some good board books, if not check the Dollar Tree.

Reyadawnbringer
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
We just had a playdate party (only two other children besides my girls) for their 3rd birthday. (We did a family party on the weekend). I ended up giving the goody bags near the beginning of the party because my kiddos had helped pick out the items and knew they were waiting to be opened!
I bought a pack of 15 glow bracelets at Michaels ($1), had some mini-playdoh (from Kmart clearance), some minipuzzles from awhile ago and each child got a little horse from Michaels (Safari brand). They went over well. The bracelets were certainly a cheap hit. (probably not safe for tiny ones).
I would definitely get something for the 1 year olds as well....the Dollar Spot at Target usually has some good board books, if not check the Dollar Tree.

I am so glad you posted this suggestion as I was just starting to freak out about getting goody bags for DS's b-day party this saturday.

TYTYTYTYTY :bowdown: