PDA

View Full Version : Cold? Vax reaction? or something else?

wendibird22
10-19-2009, 09:03 AM
DD (2yrs) got both the seasonal and H1N1 vax's Friday afternoon. Saturday late afternoon she had a fever of 101.5. We treated with motrin. Fever returned around 1:30am. She was fine all day Sunday until late afternoon, and again fever of 101. Started with a runny nose yesterday. No fever this a.m. (no meds since yesterday at 3pm), just a runny nose, some sneezing. Sat and Sun night's sleep she'd wake up once or twice crying but fell back to sleep (this isn't usual for her).

So, could it be just a cold? Could it be a cold and the fever from the vax's? Would you have her checked out at the peds? She's acting fine otherwise. She didn't have much of an appetite Sat or Sun, but had a yogurt and cereal for breakfast today. She's playing normally...and really acted quite fine all weekend despite the fever. I've asked her if anything hurts and she says no.

Normally I'm more of a wait and see person, but with H1N1 going around our area, having been sitting in the germy peds office on Friday, and me being pregnant, I'm being much more cautious. What would you do?

o_mom
10-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Were the vaccines the mist form? If so, that sounds like the typical reaction to them - they are live vaccines and can cause a mild form of the illness.

wendibird22
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Both were shots.

o_mom
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Well, then I would go with it might be cold or flu - the runny nose makes me think not a vaccine reaction. However, from your description, I would wait and see. There really isn't much they would do right now anyway, just rest, hydration and watch for any worsening.

egoldber
10-19-2009, 09:35 AM
It does sound to me like a mild vax reaction, but if she is feeling better I don't know that I would worry. It never hurts to call the ped's office, KWIM?