PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sunbutter and peanut-free tables

caleymama
10-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Neither of my daughters (2nd grade and K) have allergies, but both are in peanut free classrooms this year and have friends with various allergies. I thought Sunbutter (something we have bought and used for several years anyway) was an acceptable alternative to PB. I've sent it a handful of times so far this year and DD1 has asked me not to send it anymore because the lunch monitors won't let her sit at the peanut-free tables with it. She prefers to be able to sit there because that's where one of her good friends sits. Everything I send to school for either DD is peanut free, tree nut free, and NOT on the list of foods to avoid that was sent home, so generally DD1 can sit at the peanut-free tables at lunch.

I finally got around to calling the school nurse's office today (they handle the food allergy issues/policies) to get some clarification on Sunbutter and was told that it is in fact not okay at the peanut-free tables. The person I spoke to asked me what it was and I said it's peanut and tree nut free and made of sunflower seeds. No go - she said it was considered a nut product. So I asked about Soynut butter and she sounded like she had no idea what I was talking about. She took my # and said she'd get back to me about it. We've never used Soynut butter but DD1 in particular does not really eat meat and I'd consider it occasionally if it was okay.

I certainly don't want to make things any more difficult for families with food allergic children, but somewhere along the line I definitely got the idea that Sunbutter should be okay (assuming no allergies to sunflower seeds!). I have plenty of other things I can send, but something like PB (not okay) or Sunbutter just sticks with DD1 better than a lot of other things she'll eat. I had thought maybe the monitors wouldn't be able to tell the difference btw PB, Sunbutter, Soynut butter, etc. for all the kids and therefore had banned them all but it doesn't sound like that's the case.

TIA for any help - I'm trying to be educated about this and do the right thing.

bcafe
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
She is flat out wrong. My son eats it and he IS allergic to peanuts. The labels clearly state "peanut/tree nut free". I would push the issue.

sariana
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I don't understand that, either. I always send Sunbutter to school with DS, and now for Mommy and Me with DD.

I think someone is misinformed.

o_mom
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Honestly, my guess is that they don't want to take the word of a 5-8 yo on if the stuff on their sandwich is Sunbutter or PB.

ThreeofUs
10-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I think they are severely misinformed. Maybe you should take a jar of it in?

MamaMolly
10-19-2009, 06:58 PM
No go - she said it was considered a nut product. So I asked about Soynut butter and she sounded like she had no idea what I was talking about. She took my # and said she'd get back to me about it. We've never used Soynut butter but DD1 in particular does not really eat meat and I'd consider it occasionally if it was okay.

TIA for any help - I'm trying to be educated about this and do the right thing.

Big hugs from a mama with a food allergy kiddo for asking all the right questions. ITA with you, unless a child has a sunflower seed allergy I can't imagine why they won't allow Sunbutter. For heaven's sake, it comes from a nut-free facility! I'd take a jar in and ask for at least a reasonable justification for it. Here is the link to the Sunbutter website, scroll down and there is a link for schools. Maybe print out some info to take with you?

Sounds like this is a case of needing a little education...

caleymama
10-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Honestly, my guess is that they don't want to take the word of a 5-8 yo on if the stuff on their sandwich is Sunbutter or PB.
Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. I don't envy the monitors trying to determine what's what so maybe that is their reasoning.

If DD1 can't take it, it isn't the end of the world, but I can't help but wonder about the kids that *do* have peanut allergies that eat (or might want to eat) Sunbutter. If the tables are really only peanut-free than it seems like it should be okay. DD1 is pretty much a self-imposed vegetarian and there are only so many things she'll eat for protien that involve cheese, beans, or yogurt. PB or Sunbutter are really a staple of her diet but if they have to be a home thing so be it.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll have to see what they say when they get back to me. Unfortunately, whoever I spoke seemed pretty clueless about the whole thing.

DrSally
10-19-2009, 11:13 PM
Huh? Both Sunbutter and soynut butter are peanut free. Sunflower seeds are not nuts. It is even made in a peanut free facility. Maybe they're having a problem b/c it "looks" like PB, so they have no way of knowing?

sariana
10-19-2009, 11:27 PM
At the beginning of each school year, I would wrap DS's sandwich in a paper towel and write "Soy" or, later, "sunbutter-no nuts" on it. Now his teacher knows that I never send nut products, but if the kids ate somewhere with aides or something, I would continue to write on the sandwich every day.

If you can convince the school that Sunbutter is safe, you might try labling the sandwiches so that the lunch monitors know there are no nuts in it.

crl
10-20-2009, 01:53 PM
At the beginning of each school year, I would wrap DS's sandwich in a paper towel and write "Soy" or, later, "sunbutter-no nuts" on it. Now his teacher knows that I never send nut products, but if the kids ate somewhere with aides or something, I would continue to write on the sandwich every day.

If you can convince the school that Sunbutter is safe, you might try labling the sandwiches so that the lunch monitors know there are no nuts in it.

I agree with this. DS attended a nut-free preschool classroom for a while. He's allergic to milk, apples, strawberrries and mango so I couldn't let him have the school-provided lunch. At the beginning of the year they called me to ask about his lunches several times (hummus, chocolate soy nut butter, homemade muffins, etc). Finally, I started using painters tape and a sharpie to label his lunch box with what was in it and the words "NO NUTS." That solved the problem.

Catherine

DrSally
10-20-2009, 01:58 PM

I do this at the beginning of the year too. That, coupled with the fact that I've talked to the teachers/director about DS's peanut allergy, they know I would never pack PB.

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 02:22 PM
I know someone IRL who's child is anaphylactic to sunflower seeds. Maybe some of the allergies include seeds?

caleymama
10-20-2009, 05:21 PM
I know someone IRL who's child is anaphylactic to sunflower seeds. Maybe some of the allergies include seeds?

That's definitely a possibility, but my understanding is that the tables are "just" peanut free, which is why I wanted clarification. Of course if they are in fact for other allergies I will certainly not push the Sunbutter issue

I have actually been labeling it each time I send it in! ("Sunbutter - no peanuts, no tree nuts") I guess I'm not sure if there's a misunderstanding about what Sunbutter is or if it's truly not allowed. I don't want to be a pain in the neck, but if it really is a matter of ignorance then it would be nice to fix it.

I didn't hear anything from the school today. I'm in there on Thursday to help in DD2's classroom so I may stash the Sunbutter in my bag and stick my head in the nurse's office if I haven't heard back by then.

DrSally
10-20-2009, 08:02 PM

Seeds can be allergenic (sesame, etc.), and I generally don't allow DS to eat sunflower seeds b/c they're generally processed in plants/on equip with peanuts (same with treenuts). But, sunbutter is totally segregated from peanuts, so I feel ok about it. I don't think the school's issue is with the sunflower seeds in sunbutter, but their confusion about what PA kids can and can't have.