PDA

View Full Version : Barbie-type styling head recs, please

Moneypenny
10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
DD has her heart set on a styling head (I don't know why, but that term cracks me up every time I think it). She wants to learn how "to braid and do fancy hair styles". At Target the only option they had was some Barbie wedding thing, but I think DD would really prefer something that isn't themed that way. Any recs for a plain old big plastic head with some hair that can be brushed and styled and suggestions on where to find it? Thanks!

clc053103
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
I know 6 months ago I saw a regular Barbie head at TRU- maybe they still carry a non themed one?

Nothing will compare with the Farrah Fawcett one I had as a child! LOL!

american_mama
10-20-2009, 03:06 AM
I googled this a few months ago, and found variety of Barbie heads and Corolle, which is styled like a little girl with long blond hair. I like that it's just a girl, not a glamorous model like Barbie, but it's pricey ($60 at a local toy store that I just visited, maybe $40 online) and I'd prefer it came in different hair types.

Also, beauty supply stores sell the styling heads as practice aids, not toys. Never seen them IRL, but you can see them online and I know someone who bought one for herself to learn how to braid her biracial daughters' hair.

Moneypenny
10-20-2009, 09:56 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if I can find a vintage Farrah Fawcett one for DD? I'm sure she'd love it!

I also googled and found wedding Barbie, Princess Barbie, and what I can only describe as "Working Girl Barbie". I like the plainness of the Corelle doll, but I know DD does not want it to be a little girl.

At any rate, I have until Christmas so maybe a nice wholesome generic Barbie will show up before then. Thanks, ladies!

american_mama
10-23-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey, just spent tons of time at Toys R Us today looking at styling heads. I actually bought several of the heads to bring home and get DH's input (he is rather opposed to the gift, so I want his input. Our girls are biracial and we both don't want to present blonde hair/blue eyes at the standard of beauty, hence my notes about the skin/eye/hair color).

Toys R Us had:

* Barbie styling head and manicure set (the head had hands folded under the chin to do nails). Came in blonde Barbie and ethnic Barbie (brown hair, eyes, and skin). Nice and big, most expensive at $33
* Barbie Wedding
* Barbie with two small heads (sounds odd)
* Dream Dazzlers (probably our favorite, head is much bigger than the body but didn't bother me, only one that had eyes that close so you could put eyeshadow on, glamorous but not over the top like Barbie, comes in blond and brunette/ethnic, I wonder if it will tip over/be top heavy, see http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401727&CAWELAID=107501598)
* Disney Princess (I think they had Belle and Princess Anneliese, too many stupid electronics in front for no reason for my taste)
* Babie Fairy (small heads, one blond and one brunette/dark blue)
* a doll with arms, legs, and long blond hair, curlers, brush, barettes, etc. It was called Play and Style or somethign, cost $12.99, cheapest, no makeup or jewelry, only came in blonde version. I'll try and post the name later.

Kmart also has a styling head for $10, blond and brunette, both Caucasian. It's rather small. Came with a little makeup. Didn't look like the hair was very long.

mnosky1
10-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I bought one 2 years ago for DD. She was only 4 so I didn't want it too look like a Barbie or god forbid Bratz. So I was happy to find a Corelle one on KidSuplus - I swear it was no more than $30 but looks like it is $50 now. It turned out DD could care less about it but it does have pretty and what seems to be manageble hair.

http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail-item-63%20COR%20J4648~brandcatid-133~fromsearch-true.asp