PDA

View Full Version : what to do with old mediocre toys and stuff?

almostmom
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
I have a few bags of old toys and kid stuff that are too crappy to pass down to friends, but I also feel bad about putting them in the trash. So they've been sitting in my closet for almost a year. It's kind of the dregs of my yard sale buys and hand me downs that I didn't want. There are some rough and ugly crib sheets, some small puzzles that may or may not have all the pieces, some old and well-loved stuffed teletubbies (but can't be washed), some plastic toys and other stuff.

The drop boxes nearby are only for clothes and shoes. Any thoughts about how I can get rid of these things with a clean conscience? Should I post on craigslist that I have a bunch of random toys - take it all for free? But then that person might put most of it in the trash, which defeats the purpose of this dilemma.

I live in the Boston metrowest area.

Thanks!

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
10-19-2009, 01:00 PM
I donate them. I take them to Goodwill, or a local womens/childrens shelter.

Clarity
10-19-2009, 01:02 PM
I'd probably take it to Goodwill: http://www.goodwillmass.org/donation_centers.html#attended

vonfirmath
10-19-2009, 01:12 PM
It sounds like... some of the stuff you have (puzzles wthout all the pieces RIGHT THERE, Stuffed animals that are scruffy and can't be washed, icky condition crib sheets, etc), Goodwill will throw it in the trash.

There does come a time, after all, when stuff has to go there.

sariana
10-19-2009, 01:14 PM
An animal shelter might take the Teletubbies. They sometimes need "lovies" for the animals.

Try Freecycle.org for the sheets and plastic toys.

If the puzzles are missing pieces, it probably is best to recycle them as paper waste.

Seitvonzu
10-19-2009, 01:21 PM
i sometimes have stuff that i don't feel right even donating-- those things go in the trash. we try to be really conscious that only "good stuff" comes in the house, but sometimes things happen (gifts , hand me downs, etc). sounds like the stuff had a good life and i'd pitch it.

we've even thrown away brand new books because they were so so severely lacking in content and felt like a product brochure. i'm sure some person might have picked them up at goodwill for 10 cents thinking they were being a good parent. i just couldn't do it. :(

SammyeGail
10-19-2009, 01:23 PM
An animal shelter might take the Teletubbies. They sometimes need "lovies" for the animals.

Try Freecycle.org for the sheets and plastic toys.

If the puzzles are missing pieces, it probably is best to recycle them as paper waste.

What great advice, I'll have to remember this for the future!!

I know some stuffed toys can be cleaned on the outside, a washcloth or old kitchen towel, hot water with dish washing liquid, thats how I clean our current ones.

Thats if you want to put the time into it.....maybe Goodwill won't throw them out then!

Globetrotter
10-19-2009, 01:29 PM
You can give raggedy old sheets/bedding/towels and stuffed animals to the animal shelters. I am planning to do this but I haven't done it until now so I don't know how picky they are. For junky stuff, I recycle what I can (like the puzzles). I have donated BAGS of cheap plastic junk from goody bags on Freecycle, and people were eager to take them off my hands!

MamaMolly
10-19-2009, 01:59 PM
When we moved I donated a pile of old towels, washcloths, sheets and blankets to my local vet. We don't have pets right now, but I think most vets can always use them for beddings and after baths.

I buy a lot of DDs toys 2nd hand. For things like stuffed toys, I put them in the washer and dryer even though they might say not to. If it has a battery then I likely wouldn't buy it, but on a few I've picked up (Elmo, etc) or we do 'surgery' to remove the electronics before we wash them and let DD play with them. I can't stand talking dollies, never could. One to many bad 1980's horror movie, maybe. Even if we buy them new I tend to cut out and remove the electronics.

The plastic toys I'd sanitize and send to Goodwill or Salvation Army. Puzzles with out pieces I might freecycle to see if any crafters want the parts.

I'm really glad you asked about this. One of my pet peeves is to get stuff from Freecycle that really should have been thrown out. I'm thinking of the breadmaker without the pan :( and broken toys that are downright dangerous. But I also hate to throw out perfectly good stuff, and I'm too practical (cheap!) to buy it new when I can get a great used one for a fraction of the cost. But sometimes junk is junk. By doing the most you can to recycle and reuse, I think it is ok to give yourself permission to toss the really grotty stuff.

sariana
10-19-2009, 02:08 PM
For things like stuffed toys, I put them in the washer and dryer even though they might say not to.

Putting them in a pillowcase with the end tied or in a zipper pillow cover helps protect the washer from any running dye. I had to wash DS's piglet pillow toy once, and I'm glad I put him in a pillow cover because the inside of the pillow cover is now pink. (Piglet came out fine, though.)

HIU8
10-19-2009, 02:13 PM
goodwill or salvation army

ett
10-19-2009, 02:16 PM
I've pretty much put all none battery stuffed animals in the washer/dryer and they've all come out fine.

elliput
10-19-2009, 02:17 PM
The crib sheets I would turn into cleaning rags. The puzzles can be used for art projects.

almostmom
10-19-2009, 02:31 PM
Thanks so much for all the advice everyone.

I think I will give myself the go ahead to throw some of it out, but try to keep it on the down low so DH doesn't see. It will drive him crazy to see bags of stuff going in the trash. But it is very rare that we do it, so I guess it's ok in the scheme of things. I'll also look up where the nearest Goodwill drop is, and maybe also call an animal shelter in town.