PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to speak to my ped about H1N1 Vax

HIU8
10-19-2009, 01:57 PM
I finally got to speak with my ped this morning. He told me that DS (who will be 5 next month) has been getting a flu shot with preservatives since age 3. they only give the preservative free shot to 3 and under. I didn't know this, but ok, nothing I can do now.....

Anyway, their office is only giving H1N1 to 6-24 months and any child with a chronic condition now. He suggested I NOT wait in line at a county run vaxing (he said average wait is 3-4 hours now in line), and wait until they get more vax b/c the next wave will be children 2-5 and DD and DS will be eligible. He cannot guarantee it will be preservative free, so he suggested just DS get it and we again wait for the preservative free for DD (since she is 28 months). He said that by the end of the year they should have enough to vax all patients and I should not rush to the county right now.

I wanted to do the MIST with the county, but cannot anyway b/c DD and DS have had a cold for the past 3ish weeks.

I do feel better since I actually got to speak with him, rather than getting all sorts of different information from the staff b/c they honestlydo not know.

wendibird22
10-19-2009, 08:30 PM
We've had crazy long lines at local public flu shot clinics for just the seasonal flu so I can only imagine what it will be like for the H1N1 vax. Many of the clinics are being cancelled because they've run out of seasonal flu vax. Thankfully my county health dept has a small supply of H1N1 vax that they are giving to preggos only and only by appointment. I have an appointment to get mine tomorrow. I'm glad I won't have to wait and wait in a line.