PDA

View Full Version : Here's how I used Container Store items to organize our Expedit bookcases

justlearning
10-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Considering that Container Store has another coupon out now, I thought it'd be a good time to share how I organized our Expedit bookcases with their products. (I bought these a few months ago when they had a 25% off coupon, but they just came out with another coupon today for 20% off. Here's that link: http://images.containerstore.com/pdf/octoffer.pdf). I'm attaching some close-up pictures of my bookcases at the end.

First, here are the links to the products that I used:

Sweater Boxes: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/storageBoxes?productId=10003228
Multi-Purpose Bin: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/fileStorage/portable?productId=10022942
Accessory Box: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/closet/accessoryStorage/belts?productId=10003253

In our black Expedit upstairs, I used the multi-purpose bins to hold the kids' coloring books, activity books, workbooks, etc. I used the accessory boxes to organize their crayons, markers, stickers, and other craft supplies.

I placed one multi-purpose bin next to accessory boxes in the same cubby. You can fit the accessory boxes two deep and can stack them three high for a total of 6 accessory boxes possible next to the bin. (Just so you know, I tried fitting two bins in a cubby next to each other but they don't fit that way.)

Then, I have a lot of homeschooling-type curriculum that I organized in the sweater boxes. I found that two sweater boxes (regular size, not deep) stack on top of each other and perfectly fill in one cube. I then labeled each container with my label maker.

I used the same containers in the playroom's bookcase. There, I used them on the bottom shelf to hold legos, train pieces, playdoh, etc. I found that the deep sweater box fits too but without the lid, so I used that container for big train pieces.

I have never worked for the Container Store, but I have really liked what I bought from there. I have found so many uses for the sweater boxes around the house as well as the multi-purpose bins. I use the bins to store sunscreens, lotions, etc. in the pantry as well as another that holds binders (they fit perfectly). I use them under the kitchen and bathroom sinks to organize cleaning supplies and other bathroom supplies. I also use one in my Sienna and it fits great between the front seats for holding Entertainment books, kleenex, hand sanitizer, diaper wipes, etc. And I use the accessory boxes to organize the boys' top bathroom drawers (with the lids off).

While I'm on the subject of Container Store finds, here's another item that I have been VERY happy with and am going to buy more of so I can have one for DH's lunches--the divided clip-it lunch cube. I've mentioned them on here before--here's that thread: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=333028&highlight=lunch+cube

Another thing I've liked is using the boot box for storing blankets under our bed (one queen or king blanket per box) as well as storing the kids' artwork under our beds. Here's that link: http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/storageBoxes/plastic?productId=10009590
The boot box is cheaper than their underbed box and I also like its smaller size.

Hope all these tips help someone! BTW, I should note that we don't have an Ikea in our state so they may offer items that work just as well or better for less. I was lucky enough to find both of our Expedit bookcases on craigslist and have LOVED them!

C99
10-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Cool. I just picked up a couple of the 15" soft-sided cubes from TCS, but I will look for those multipurpose containers - they seem perfect for my stuff. Thanks for sharing!

wellyes
10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
PERFECT TIMING, thanks! I'm still having that Trofast vs Expedit debate in my head and this really helps!

citymama
10-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Awesome! And thanks for the coupon.

Jo..
10-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Thanks for sharing all the info and the photos! I am a slight organization freak, and lately the "messy" look of DS's toys etc (even though they are in cubes) has been bothering me.

I feel a Container Store run coming on! I might copy your ideas exactly!

alexsmommy
10-19-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks - this is just in time for the Christmas toy purge so I have room for the new toys. I need to organize more.

american_mama
10-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Many thanks! It never occurred to me to use multiple smaller containers in one Expedit cube. I too was on a quest for months and months for the perfect containers for Expedit, since I wanted them to be $10 or less. I finally found Sterilite Ultra Storage Baskets in the second to largest size (model 1628, I think), price about $5.50 at Walmart. You can spraypaint them in colors with Krylon Fusion spraypaint, available in decor colors at craft stores or online, or more standard colors at any store.

I got some great ideas from you - including the idea of a blanket in a storage box under the bed, never thought of that. Thanks!

soontobe
10-20-2009, 09:00 AM
don't mean to change the subject, but since you seem to be a TCS expert.... do they have any containors that you would recommend using to store ds's old cloths?

thanks!:bowdown:

BarbieSmith
10-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Just a quick thanks - I ordered some shoe boxes!
Barbie

justlearning
10-20-2009, 10:21 AM
don't mean to change the subject, but since you seem to be a TCS expert.... do they have any containors that you would recommend using to store ds's old cloths?

thanks!:bowdown:

It depends on the space that you have. For my kids' clothes, I used very large rubbermaid containers that fit on their shelf above their hanging clothes rod. They hold a ton of stuff and were cheap ($5 or less).

But in my closet, I have a smaller area on top of my shoe shelves that would not fit a large container. What I did find was that the Container Store deep sweater boxes fit that space in my closet perfectly. So I'm using those for my out-of-season / too-tight-right-now clothes.

So it depends on your space and how much you're willing to pay. If you want them to be better organized (e.g., fall, spring, summer, winter), then it might work well for you to use the deep sweater boxes so you can have a more specific sorting system. But if you're OK piling lots of clothes in a rubbermaid container, then that's a cheaper way to go.

justlearning
10-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Just a quick thanks - I ordered some shoe boxes!
Barbie

Oh, I forgot to talk about their shoe boxes. I found that they didn't work well for the Expedit shelves but they were useful in organizing my pantry (in addition to organizing supplies in my bathroom and closet). I'm attaching a picture showing how I'm using them in my pantry. I like them for storing bags that tend to fall over as well as snacks for the kids. I individually bag raisins or other healthy snacks so they're ready to grab for lunches and keep those stored in the shoe boxes on my shelves. For $1 (less with the coupon), they seem to work well for that purpose.

soontobe
10-20-2009, 10:41 AM
It depends on the space that you have. For my kids' clothes, I used very large rubbermaid containers that fit on their shelf above their hanging clothes rod. They hold a ton of stuff and were cheap ($5 or less).

But in my closet, I have a smaller area on top of my shoe shelves that would not fit a large container. What I did find was that the Container Store deep sweater boxes fit that space in my closet perfectly. So I'm using those for my out-of-season / too-tight-right-now clothes.

So it depends on your space and how much you're willing to pay. If you want them to be better organized (e.g., fall, spring, summer, winter), then it might work well for you to use the deep sweater boxes so you can have a more specific sorting system. But if you're OK piling lots of clothes in a rubbermaid container, then that's a cheaper way to go.

thanks!you're awsome at this!!! I don't really have any space to store much of anything and i don' want to spend a lot of money. lol. (we live in nyc for right now) I am cool with a larger thing because i have been baging everything and then putting it into the containors. where do you get the cheep rubermaid ones?

thanks so much. i love organizing things! it's just not that easy with no space and a tight budget:)

justlearning
10-20-2009, 11:08 AM
thanks!you're awsome at this!!! I don't really have any space to store much of anything and i don' want to spend a lot of money. lol. (we live in nyc for right now) I am cool with a larger thing because i have been baging everything and then putting it into the containors. where do you get the cheep rubermaid ones?

thanks so much. i love organizing things! it's just not that easy with no space and a tight budget:)

I also love organizing!! We have a large home, though, so I can't relate to your situation with no space. I'm sure it does make it a lot harder but even more important to be well-organized (and to always be purging).

To answer your question, I've found the containers at both Walmart and Home Depot. I'm attaching a picture below that shows a blue rubbermaid container--I got that one at Home Depot. The green one next to it is a Sterlite brand container--I got that from Walmart at the beginning of the school year last year. I saw them there again this year but in brighter colors. Both containers cost around $4.50.

I got lots of clear large containers (not Rubbermaid brand) from Home Depot a few years ago for around $3.50. I've used these everywhere--one son's closet, organizing the garage, etc. Last time I looked, they weren't carrying them anymore but you can still get others like I described above. I'm attaching a picture of the clear container in my son's closet to show how you can make them look more fun with some stickers.

Have fun organizing! :)

srhs
10-20-2009, 11:16 AM
You're hired!!! When can you start?

soontobe
10-20-2009, 11:51 AM
incredilbe!!! thanks for all the ideas!!!

spunkybaby
11-10-2009, 03:43 AM
Thanks, OP! We followed your recommendations and bought a bunch of the sweater boxes, accessory boxes, and a few multi-use boxes. They are great for our IKEA Expedit & Bonde shelves. We also bought the deep sweater boxes (great for large toys & items), and DH found some clear magazine boxes from TCS that fit perfectly in the shelves too.

DH is very happy--it really bothered him that the plastic shoeboxes we were using before didn't fill the space very well.

Thanks again for sharing your organizing abilities with the rest of us; your pictures and links were very helpful!

gobadgers
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
This is so inspiring! I see you posted 3 weeks ago but I somehow missed it. This is great timing for me - we just moved and I desperately need to find some order in this chaos. I have some direction now :-)

mominmarch
11-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree, so totally inspiring!! I wish I could find a code for Container Store though... do they come back often? We don't live near a store and shipping for my basket is $19.00.

KrisM
01-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi,
I got a 2x4 for Christmas and have reread this thread a good dozen times since then :).

Just wanted to say thank you for doing all the leg work on this. I am ordering some containers tonight and am looking forward to having some of the loose things organized!

wendmatt
01-05-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm thinking my DH wishes he'd married you! He loves to be organised, and me...not so much! Well, I do, I'm just not good at it. You ROCK! It all looks great.

lmwbasye
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Hey..just wanted to say that we have the Expedit and I recently found some awesome bins at Target that work well. They are the same size as what is in the middle picture, but not clear. The colors available were blue, red, and lime green. They have hinged tops and fit two to a cube like in the OP's middle photo. They are not clear, though, so I'm putting picture labels on mine for my boys to be able to know what's in them. The brand was "itso" and I paid maybe $7/bin.

HTH!

lellolicious
01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks to the OP for her inspiration on this as well. We bought the Expedit shelves and looked at all of the storage bins at Ikea, Home Depot, and Target (including the ones red/blue ones the most recent poster mentioned) and ended up going with the exact Container Store items that you posted. I LOVE how it all goes together! The only problem now is... I need more shelves! I've moved beyond the toys and organized all of our Wii stuff into a container, the kids DVDs into another container... i could keep organizing up to the celing!

I'll try to post pictures when i can.

jerigirl
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
PERFECT TIMING, thanks! I'm still having that Trofast vs Expedit debate in my head and this really helps!

I have both and would say if I were to do it again I would do ALL Expedit. The Trofast is very limiting with the combinations of bins/shelves that you can do. Just MHO.

jerigirl
01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Oh, I forgot to talk about their shoe boxes. I found that they didn't work well for the Expedit shelves but they were useful in organizing my pantry (in addition to organizing supplies in my bathroom and closet). I'm attaching a picture showing how I'm using them in my pantry. I like them for storing bags that tend to fall over as well as snacks for the kids. I individually bag raisins or other healthy snacks so they're ready to grab for lunches and keep those stored in the shoe boxes on my shelves. For $1 (less with the coupon), they seem to work well for that purpose.

This is a great idea! My pantry:bag is sort of narrow but deep. This would make it easy to get to the stuff in the back.

american_mama
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
If anyone is looking for the Deep Ultra Storage Baskets from Sterilite that are an awesome fit and awesome price, they are available on amazon. Six bins for $20. Thanks to mnosky1 here for sharing that news with me: I was over the moon when she told me since I have put out an APB on these baskets at Walmarts in three towns and cannot find them.

Link here. Note the "titanium" inserts are just plastic handles painted to look metallic, looks fine but don't expect any real metal on these baskets. http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-16288006-Basket-Titanium-Inserts/dp/B002BDTETC

They fully fit in one Expedit cube, but slide in and out easily, plus leave some room at the top so an item can be tossed in the basket without fully pulling it out. They can be spraypainted with Krylon Fusion spraypaint.

VClute
01-05-2010, 03:54 PM
I am THRILLED to now be (per BBB recommendations) the proud owner of a 5x5 expedit. All four of us made the 3-hour pilgrimmage to the nearest IKEA back in SEPTEMBER (!) but DH just put the shelves together last weekend. I love it, I love it, I love it!!

I have some of those deep bins (bought at Target, I think - not knowing they would fit so well) and we have the IKEA-bought baskets all along the bottom. DH is so pleased with it all that we're making another trip to IKEA (sans kids this time, so we can REALLY browse!) in two weeks.

This has been a GOD-send in our junky playroom. Now everything has a place. Plus I have all my fabrics stacked in the top cubes, and all the kids' outgrown clothing (in bins) on the top, ready for swap or consignment.

We may get the one that has the space for a TV. I should post a separate thread about that...

toby
01-05-2010, 10:25 PM
This is a great idea! My panty is sort of narrow but deep. This would make it easy to get to the stuff in the back.

Jerigirl- I know that you meant to write "pantry" instead of "panty"...but the image of a narrow and deep panty gave me the giggles. I am definitely overtired! :)

jerigirl
01-05-2010, 10:54 PM
Jerigirl- I know that you meant to write "pantry" instead of "panty"...but the image of a narrow and deep panty gave me the giggles. I am definitely overtired! :)

:bag Obviously I am overtired too. Thanks for the catch!

jacksmomtobe
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks for posting your organizing ideas! I am also a big container store fan. I use some of the bins in our playroom and some in the kids closet. I use one type of bin for each season's clothes....upcoming spring, past spring to try on for this season. past spring to sell on Ebay/giveaway etc. They are not huge bins but fit a fair amt. It makes life much easier. I've been thinking about how to organize our bins in the playroom and was wondering what type of bookcases might fit the bins. Great Ideas!!

KrisM
01-06-2010, 08:30 AM
If anyone is looking for the Deep Ultra Storage Baskets from Sterilite that are an awesome fit and awesome price, they are available on amazon. Six bins for $20. Thanks to mnosky1 here for sharing that news with me: I was over the moon when she told me since I have put out an APB on these baskets at Walmarts in three towns and cannot find them.

Link here. Note the "titanium" inserts are just plastic handles painted to look metallic, looks fine but don't expect any real metal on these baskets. http://www.amazon.com/Sterilite-16288006-Basket-Titanium-Inserts/dp/B002BDTETC

They fully fit in one Expedit cube, but slide in and out easily, plus leave some room at the top so an item can be tossed in the basket without fully pulling it out. They can be spraypainted with Krylon Fusion spraypaint.

Did you see I had updated your post that you can get them at Walmart again? I haven't been to the store, but some have said they're back. They are online for $19 for 6.

blisstwins
01-06-2010, 08:35 AM
I recently searched this thread and bought the sweater boxes for the expedit and OMG OP changed our lives! I had been using ikea bins, but they were too bog and items were disorganized within the boxes. The new system is wonderful. Thanks you all for sharing.

boltfam
01-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Thank you, OP! What an inspiration?! I'm glad for organized people who can help us who are not gifted in that area.

infomama
03-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Old thread I know but I took the plunge and ordered a bunch of stuff from the CS and I am SO happy I did. My Expedit looks SO organized and I ended up with 5 empty fabric bins (that I was using before for toys and whatnot). The only bad thing is I can see myself becoming really addicted to the CS. Thanks so much!!!

Pinky
12-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Bumping this thread back up... we are getting ready to buy an Expedit shelf and trying to decide which size to get. If you get the 4X2 one can you later get another one and somehow clamp them together so they look like one unit?

I wish we had a Container Store nearby! Do they ever offer free shipping? I'm tempted to get those Amazon bins.

justlearning
12-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Bumping this thread back up... we are getting ready to buy an Expedit shelf and trying to decide which size to get. If you get the 4X2 one can you later get another one and somehow clamp them together so they look like one unit?

I wish we had a Container Store nearby! Do they ever offer free shipping? I'm tempted to get those Amazon bins.

They offered free shipping a few weeks ago but that's the only time I've ever seen it offered. I can't answer your Expedit question but someone else probably can. We really like the space that our 4x5 and 5x5 bookcases offer.

Pinky
12-29-2010, 04:20 PM
They offered free shipping a few weeks ago but that's the only time I've ever seen it offered. I can't answer your Expedit question but someone else probably can. We really like the space that our 4x5 and 5x5 bookcases offer.
Thanks... I'll keep an eye out for a future sale.

Do you guys know if these are the Land of Nod baskets that fit?
http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=106&f=670

sweet_pea
12-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Do you guys know if these are the Land of Nod baskets that fit?
http://www.landofnod.com/family.aspx?c=106&f=670

Kim, I found this while researching Expedits and baskets for them a little while ago:

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/shelving-storage/ten-storage-options-for-your-expedit-114361

HTH!

essnce629
12-29-2010, 06:54 PM

I'm sure you could get generic metal brackets at home depot and just screw them together that way on the back. But they do come with hardware to attach them to the wall so you could just put them right next to each other and mount them to the wall and they wouldn't move or anything. We have two 4x2 and one 5x5 unit and LOVE them! We have one 4x2 and the 5x5 in our playroom and the other 4x2 in DS2's room. I also have all the Container Store shoe and sweater boxes to keep everything organized. They are great-- very good quality (not going to crack) and I love that they are clear so we can see what's in them.

Here's a pic of the 5x5 one in our playroom. The bottom two rows are all the toys that are safe for 19 month old DS2 to play with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_1853.jpg

Pinky
12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
Kim, I found this while researching Expedits and baskets for them a little while ago:

http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/shelving-storage/ten-storage-options-for-your-expedit-114361
Oh thanks!! Looks like those Land of Nod ones do work. I think those are so pretty! But now I'm thinking that maybe the clear bins are more practical. I've also seen some that people have used that are wire baskets. Those seem like a good idea as well since you can see what's in them.

HTH!

I'm sure you could get generic metal brackets at home depot and just screw them together that way on the back. But they do come with hardware to attach them to the wall so you could just put them right next to each other and mount them to the wall and they wouldn't move or anything. We have two 4x2 and one 5x5 unit and LOVE them! We have one 4x2 and the 5x5 in our playroom and the other 4x2 in DS2's room. I also have all the Container Store shoe and sweater boxes to keep everything organized. They are great-- very good quality (not going to crack) and I love that they are clear so we can see what's in them.

Here's a pic of the 5x5 one in our playroom. The bottom two rows are all the toys that are safe for 19 month old DS2 to play with.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_1853.jpg
Thanks for posting the picture! It looks great! Are the ones that fit two on top of each other the sweater boxes?

I think I'm going to get two of the 4X2's for now and put them in an L shape in the corner of the room but I like that later on I could stand them up and have them side by side and anchored to the wall.

justlearning
12-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Are the ones that fit two on top of each other the sweater boxes?

Yes, those are sweater boxes.

MamaKath
12-30-2010, 01:37 AM
Great job! Gives me lots of ideas for organizing my school stuff!

wimama
12-30-2010, 09:42 AM
I just measured our Ikea Lekman storage bin that fits into the Expedit cubbie perfectly. My measurements match the measurements on their website. I measured: 13" W x13" H and 14.5" depth. Hopefully that will help someone figure out what bin might fit.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30150192

Pinky
12-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Yes, those are sweater boxes.
Thanks!!

Pinky
01-04-2011, 09:33 PM
My husband is currently at Ikea (for the first time) buying my 4x4 Expedit shelf. He said the place is a zoo even at night, 30 minutes before they close. Can't wait to get it so I can start organizing!

Sweetum
01-05-2011, 03:45 AM

ROTFL! Thanks for the laughs. And OP and others, thanks for the organizing ideas. We have an expedit already and DH was complaining that the ikea bins are too expensive! We'll probably pick these up. My favorite one is the under the bed storage boxes (boot boxes). Tell me, do they fit comforters?

gamma
01-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Has anyone found any photo style boxes to fit in the cubbies? I have a lot of 4x6 prints and would like to fit the boxes 2 across and 3 high in each cubby. Does this sound doable? The photos that I have are filed according to date. The standard photo boxes are so over-sized. I can fit a vhs tape long ways across, so not the best use of space.

Pinky
01-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Quick question for those of you with the Expedit... does it stick out from the wall due to your floor baseboard that goes around the room? We have that (molding or whatever you want to call it) as well as a chair rail so I'm thinking it's not going to sit flush against the wall. Can it still be attached to the wall for safety purposes? Also, any problem with stuff falling out the backside or do you all use containers so that isn't a concern?

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread!! Can't wait to place an order from the Container Store. :)

infomama
01-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Quick question for those of you with the Expedit... does it stick out from the wall due to your floor baseboard that goes around the room? We have that (molding or whatever you want to call it) as well as a chair rail so I'm thinking it's not going to sit flush against the wall. Can it still be attached to the wall for safety purposes? Also, any problem with stuff falling out the backside or do you all use containers so that isn't a concern?

It sticks out a little but we use heavy duty "L" brackets to secure it to the wall...no worries. I use mostly bins (combo of accessory/sweater and magazine) from the CS so not much can escape out the back.

Pinky
01-05-2011, 11:20 PM
It sticks out a little but we use heavy duty "L" brackets to secure it to the wall...no worries. I use mostly bins (combo of accessory/sweater and magazine) from the CS so not much can escape out the back.

Are the magazine ones the ones that are upright? How many can you fit in one cubby?

JTsMom
01-15-2011, 04:55 PM
Are the accessory boxes hinged, or does the lid come off completely?

WatchingThemGrow
01-15-2011, 08:01 PM

comes off completely

kbud
01-15-2011, 09:55 PM
My mom is looking to use the Expedite in her condo. She'd like to have some hanging files in it. We have had no luck finding an option to hang files. Anyone know of one? Now I want to re-do everything in my house with Expedite!
Thanks.

katydid1971
01-15-2011, 10:06 PM
My mom is looking to use the Expedite in her condo. She'd like to have some hanging files in it. We have had no luck finding an option to hang files. Anyone know of one? Now I want to re-do everything in my house with Expedite!
Thanks.
Would something like this work? http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/fileStorage/portable?productId=10008593&N=74545&Nao=16
You can find variations of these at all the office stores and target etc. They are called desk top files.

kbud
01-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Would something like this work? http://www.containerstore.com/shop/office/fileStorage/portable?productId=10008593&N=74545&Nao=16
You can find variations of these at all the office stores and target etc. They are called desk top files.
Thanks that might. I was searching on-line and found someone who used the Ikea fabric inserts and added the metal hanging file from into it.

http://applescentedfun.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-first-ikea-hack.html

JTsMom
01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Thanks! I'm going to be on a mission tomorrow! :)

And justlearning, belated thanks for this thread! It seems to have a life of it's own.

gamma
01-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Does anyone have any ideas of containers for photo storage? I have tons of 4x6 photos that I need to organize. I am not a fan of albums.

TwinFoxes
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM
If anyone is on the fence re: Expedit, just do it! We got one for our living area and one for the playroom. I feel like I can breathe finally!! Everything is just so much more organized. We got 4x2s and use them horizontally. In the living room we use four nicer baskets in the bottom cubbies, and leave the top ones open and put things that look nice displayed in those (like the M&D stackable train in one, books in another). On top is the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and figures.

Downstairs we used 8 super cheap pink boxes from Ikea. Our disaster area playroom is neat and tidy. It's easy for me to pick up, and easy for the girls to help. They seem to enjoy their toys more now that they're not in a jumble.

Go for it!

WatchingThemGrow
01-16-2011, 09:58 AM
If anyone is on the fence re: Expedit, just do it! We got one for our living area and one for the playroom. I feel like I can breathe finally!!
:ROTFLMAO:
We're debating trying to stay squished in this house or move to another. A couple tall expedits would DEFINITELY help us breathe here. We should have done it years ago. If we stay, we're doing it.

justlearning
01-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Does anyone have any ideas of containers for photo storage? I have tons of 4x6 photos that I need to organize. I am not a fan of albums.

You can pick up photo boxes with dividers from anywhere (e.g., Target).

In keeping with my original post in this thread, you may also want to stack them in the Container Store accessory boxes. 4x6 photos will fit perfectly lengthwise with some room to spare on the width. You could then label each category on the outside according to the time period of those photos. With this system, though, you'd have to take the photos out to look at them. With the photo boxes, you can thumb through them to look at them.

If you want display methods but not albums, you can get wood photo boxes that hold photos in hanging sleeves.

justlearning
01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
If anyone is on the fence re: Expedit, just do it! We got one for our living area and one for the playroom. I feel like I can breathe finally!! Everything is just so much more organized. We got 4x2s and use them horizontally. In the living room we use four nicer baskets in the bottom cubbies, and leave the top ones open and put things that look nice displayed in those (like the M&D stackable train in one, books in another). On top is the Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and figures.

Downstairs we used 8 super cheap pink boxes from Ikea. Our disaster area playroom is neat and tidy. It's easy for me to pick up, and easy for the girls to help. They seem to enjoy their toys more now that they're not in a jumble.

Go for it!

I agree that the Expedit bookcases are great. I LOVE the 5x5 one we have in our craft loft and the 4x4 one in our playroom. They hold so much stuff and look good too.

justlearning
01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Thanks! I'm going to be on a mission tomorrow! :)

And justlearning, belated thanks for this thread! It seems to have a life of it's own.

You're welcome. :) I'm glad that so many have found this thread helpful.

niccig
01-16-2011, 01:05 PM
You're welcome. :) I'm glad that so many have found this thread helpful.

Very helpful. I now have our toys under control. Our expedite has combination of sweater boxes, regular and deep, on all shelves except the top row. So many toys are now contained. It's been wonderful. :signthankspin:

amandabea
01-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Yes, thanks Justlearning for The Container Store Storage box solutions! I have been three times since getting our playroom Exedits together and need to make a fourth trip to pick up 20 more accessory boxes - I love those things! So much better for us than the big baskets/boxes.

JTsMom
01-16-2011, 10:39 PM
I :heartbeat: The Container Store! I'm just getting home from my mega shopping trip, and there are piles of boxes and baskets to load up tomorrow. I'm almost done with my massive re-organization project. :yay:

light-castle
02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Is the black brown color pretty much black? I have really dark maple furniture, not sure I love the walnut? Thanks - Jennifer

KHF
02-24-2011, 04:52 PM
Yep, black-brown is as close to black as it gets. We have a 4x4 and a 2x4 plus desk in black brown.

light-castle
02-24-2011, 04:59 PM
Do you think the black-brown would look ok with dark maple stuff? Or should I go with the walnut?

sansdieu
02-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Do you think the black-brown would look ok with dark maple stuff? Or should I go with the walnut?

I had the same problem, wanted something that looked like... well... wood.
Walnut veneer was a better match, but it looked really really cheap. So we ended up going with black-brown.

KHF
02-24-2011, 06:52 PM

I am a clueless wonder when it comes to home decor, so I have no issues mixing wood color but YMMV :) That said, I thought the walnut finish looked cheap as well. I would go with the black brown.

light-castle
02-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Thanks - glad I asked...

essnce629
02-25-2011, 04:35 AM

These look like a good solution. I have the 6-case one in my shopping cart.

6-Case Photo Storage Box
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10020697&N=&Ntt=case+photo+storage+box

12-Case Photo Storage Carrier
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/photoStorage?productId=10025078&green=17926157545

justlearning
02-26-2011, 12:02 AM
These look like a good solution. I have the 6-case one in my shopping cart.

6-Case Photo Storage Box
http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10020697&N=&Ntt=case+photo+storage+box

12-Case Photo Storage Carrier
http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/photoStorage?productId=10025078&green=17926157545

I can't recall the price but I saw something similar to the 12-case carrier at Costco a couple of weeks ago.

justlearning
02-26-2011, 12:04 AM

I haven't seen the walnut so I can't comment on that. But like a PP said, I don't mind mixing and matching woods and colors at all. IMO the black-brown looks really nice but I do want to warn you that it shows dust all the time. That Expedit looks dusty days after I've dusted it. In contrast, our light birch veneer Expedit in the playroom gets dusted only every few months and even then it doesn't look dusty--I have to feel the dust to know it's there. The black-brown also shows scratches much more than the birch one.

essnce629
02-27-2011, 02:58 AM
I already posted the pics of our 5x5 expedit, but since I have an obsession with them I thought I'd share pics of the other ones as well.

This is the 4x2 in the playroom. The 5x5 one is in there as well on the opposite wall (posted pics in an earlier post).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_1942.jpg

This is the 4x2 in DS2's room (I still need to label a few more bins).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2212.jpg

This is the 1x5 in DS1's room.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2213.jpg

This is the 2x2 in DS1's closet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2214.jpg

And here's how I use containers in our pantry to separate like items. I have separate bins for rice/grains, pasta, beans, dried fruits, nuts, baking items, and DS2 snacks. I also have two 3 compartment bins from Ikea that organizer our Kashi and Z-Bars perfectly. I want to label all these bins as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2215.jpg

malphy
03-18-2011, 08:54 PM
I already posted the pics of our 5x5 expedit, but since I have an obsession with them I thought I'd share pics of the other ones as well.

This is the 4x2 in the playroom. The 5x5 one is in there as well on the opposite wall (posted pics in an earlier post).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_1942.jpg

This is the 4x2 in DS2's room (I still need to label a few more bins).
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2212.jpg

This is the 1x5 in DS1's room.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2213.jpg

This is the 2x2 in DS1's closet.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2214.jpg

And here's how I use containers in our pantry to separate like items. I have separate bins for rice/grains, pasta, beans, dried fruits, nuts, baking items, and DS2 snacks. I also have two 3 compartment bins from Ikea that organizer our Kashi and Z-Bars perfectly. I want to label all these bins as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v16/essnce629/IMG_2215.jpg

WOW!!!!

Can you come to my house?!!!! I wish I was even 1/4 as organized.

Kudos to you!!!!

If anyone else could post their expedit photos that would be great. I have an ikea right down the road and am just itching to buy an expedit, lol.

JTsMom
04-04-2011, 03:51 PM
A couple of months ago, I promised someone pictures of the school room/office/playroom re-do we were working on, but never got around to it. Better late than never! lol I can't remember which thread it was in, but I figured they'll fit here pretty well.

It's still not totally done- we desperately need a new desk and chair, and I still want to hang up a picture above the forward facing bookshelves.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZocRDzDRfI/AAAAAAAAGhw/x07NQwzikC4/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZoclUhTpzI/AAAAAAAAGhw/RWycC2X9qH8/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_1.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZoc1pDXH3I/AAAAAAAAGhw/j9-SidYbBg4/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_2.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZodQj2hd6I/AAAAAAAAGhw/BvZPHZp7ovE/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_5.JPG
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZodSXRMpzI/AAAAAAAAGhw/KXzd_jP8XiU/s512/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_9.JPG

WatchingThemGrow
04-04-2011, 03:55 PM
OH>MY>WORD, Lori! I want to come explore, play, and learn in that room!!! That is beautiful! I (as a teacher) love that you have the completely functional stuff easy to see and use. It isn't just in pretty boxes where you have to guess where to find things. Wow, that's just amazing!

JTsMom
04-04-2011, 04:11 PM
:love-retry: Thanks! Here's one more of the other shelves.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZolPlOXk2I/AAAAAAAAGh8/501f5AmK38I/s512/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_15.JPG
I love the one on the left, b/c it holds about 90% of Jason's art supplies. It was really inexpensive too- the bookshelf was on sale at Target for $16, and most of the bins are from Dollar Tree.

infomama
04-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Lori...WOW!!
Do you homeschool? Fantastic array of materials!!! I love the scissor rack (and everything else).
:bighand:

essnce629
04-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Awesome Lori! I love those maps! Are they just maps that you framed yourself? Where did you get them? I have a big map of the world that was in DS1's room, but it wasn't framed so it didn't look nearly as good as yours. Mine is from Lakeshore. We just moved into our house 4 months ago and don't really have anything up on the walls yet so maybe I should get his map framed before putting it back up. Everything looks better in a frame. I see that even your currency poster is framed.

JTsMom
04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
Lori...WOW!!
Do you homeschool? Fantastic array of materials!!! I love the scissor rack (and everything else).
:bighand:

Thanks! :) Yes, we're homeschooling.

Awesome Lori! I love those maps! Are they just maps that you framed yourself? Where did you get them? I have a big map of the world that was in DS1's room, but it wasn't framed so it didn't look nearly as good as yours. Mine is from Lakeshore. We just moved into our house 4 months ago and don't really have anything up on the walls yet so maybe I should get his map framed before putting it back up. Everything looks better in a frame. I see that even your currency poster is framed.

Thanks! :) They are these maps
http://store.randmcnally.com/rand-mcnally-illustrated-world-wall-map.html
http://store.randmcnally.com/kids-illustrated-us-map.html

framed with cheapy baseboard from Lowes. We used the same stuff to frame the cork boards.

The poster frames are actually .50 poster board from the dollar store. lol The room was just so chaotic looking w/all of the stuff on the walls, so I though maybe I could tie it all together. It made a huge difference! I'll have to see if I can find a before shot.

WatchingThemGrow
04-04-2011, 10:22 PM
:love-retry: Thanks! Here's one more of the other shelves.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZolPlOXk2I/AAAAAAAAGh8/501f5AmK38I/s512/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_15.JPG
I love the one on the left, b/c it holds about 90% of Jason's art supplies. It was really inexpensive too- the bookshelf was on sale at Target for $16, and most of the bins are from Dollar Tree.
Ok, can I get a closeup of the art supply area? I have the art supplies scattered about, and I have those same bookshelves 3-4 of them from CL for $5 each!

infomama
04-05-2011, 08:35 AM
Lori...where did you find the American currency poster?

JTsMom
04-05-2011, 08:36 AM
Nice score! I'll take a closer pic a little later. In the meantime, I know that the bins on the top shelf say colored paper and white paper (those magazine files were from the Target 2.50 bin back around BTS time- they are a little longer than average), the markers and crayons are from the Staples deal.

The yellow and red bins are from Dollar tree. The yellow ones are fabric and paper scraps for collages. The red ones have pom poms, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, googly eyes, glitter, do a dots, stamps and inks, stickers, and letters.

The blue bins I *think* were from The School Box- I want to say they were $2 or so. One has old magazines, one says "works in progress", and one has coloring books.

We also have pencils, pens, pastels, markers, glue sticks, scissors, etc. on an Ikea lazy susan on the table in little buckets (Target dollar spot again). I switch them out for holidays. :) Paint is stored up high. Playdough, clay and tools are in a kitchen cabinet. We have an easel between the two rooms.

The decorative scissors didn't fit on the art shelf, so they're on the next one over, and I actually have a craft room upstairs with my own stuff, and some of J's overflow (foam sheets, seasonal projects, etc.) Yes, we have a sickness here. lol

The shelf in the middle is mostly books, but also math manipulatives, educational puzzles and games, and flashcards that aren't on our current level.

The shelf on the right is for various office supplies. It has my laminator and pouches, pencil sharpener and a cup for pencils that need sharpening, staples, paper clips, post its, glue, poster adhesive strips, ziplocs, clipboards, paper cutter, ruler, punches, lined paper, index cards, etc.

I loooove having the laminator down here by the computer! It used to be upstairs, and I hated having to drag everything up and down.

infomama
04-05-2011, 08:39 AM

If anyone is ordering...code VIP saves 20%

JTsMom
04-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Lori...where did you find the American currency poster?

It came with the Telling Time one from Dollar Tree. Dollar Tree- for all your fine decorating needs. :bag :ROTFLMAO: I also have a colors and shapes set from there. Not sure if the weather chart shows in any of the pics I posted, but that's from there as well. They really do have some great stuff.

JTsMom
04-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Here are some closer shots- it's hard to get a good one b/c of the angle, but hopefully these will work.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZsbXSvl9XI/AAAAAAAAGiY/F8IiYxAVuKw/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_1.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZsbm9iv7jI/AAAAAAAAGik/JcHLZL89uyw/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_4.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZscCpNPczI/AAAAAAAAGio/eTy-jE31AAY/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_5.JPG

Here's the playdough stuff (excuse the stain)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZscCyn9mTI/AAAAAAAAGiw/57V4zvJcFGo/s720/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_7.JPG

And the lazy susan
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZodIxqpqUI/AAAAAAAAGhw/p4Uz5EaMX6Y/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_4.JPG

mom2224
04-05-2011, 10:19 AM

framed with cheapy baseboard from Lowes. We used the same stuff to frame the cork boards.

Lori, I have these maps and would love to frame them. Can you explain how to use baseboard to make frames? Do you cut it to size and paint it, then how do you attach the frame to the map? Thank you!

You have done an amazing job with this space!

WatchingThemGrow
04-05-2011, 11:14 AM
Here are some closer shots- it's hard to get a good one b/c of the angle, but hopefully these will work.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZsbXSvl9XI/AAAAAAAAGiY/F8IiYxAVuKw/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_1.JPG

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZsbm9iv7jI/AAAAAAAAGik/JcHLZL89uyw/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_4.JPG
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZscCpNPczI/AAAAAAAAGio/eTy-jE31AAY/s512/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_5.JPG

Here's the playdough stuff (excuse the stain)
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZscCyn9mTI/AAAAAAAAGiw/57V4zvJcFGo/s720/2011_04_05_IMG_9999_7.JPG

And the lazy susan
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZodIxqpqUI/AAAAAAAAGhw/p4Uz5EaMX6Y/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999_4.JPG
Thanks!!! I hope this will be the motivation I need to get us organized!

JTsMom
04-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Lori, I have these maps and would love to frame them. Can you explain how to use baseboard to make frames? Do you cut it to size and paint it, then how do you attach the frame to the map? Thank you!

You have done an amazing job with this space!
Thanks. :)

This site (brittone2 posted this originally) has some pictures of the process:
http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2009/04/playroom-turned-game-roomlounge/

It's relatively simple, but the thing that makes these maps tricky are those cute little pictures right on the edges- like the plane, for example. There's very little room to play with. It took several tries, shaving off a teeny tiny piece at a time to make sure it would fit just so. Also, we stapled them to the wall first, which I regret b/c they bubbled a little. I wish we would have had them laminated with a thicker plastic first, or used a ton of tape. I thought the coating on the maps would do the trick, but it didn't.

We mitered the corners with a chop saw, and then nailed it right to the wall and caulked the gaps. We painted it before we cut it.

Another option would be to actually make a frame with a backing. You could staple gun the corners together, glue the map onto a thin backing, then attach the two together. That way it would be more easily removable.

It took a while to get done, but when I look at this:
http://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-World-32x50-Framed/dp/B0049TMLHS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1302017591&sr=8-5
it feels like a totally worthwhile project!

kristac
04-05-2011, 03:44 PM
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_BaH9n_OFZF0/TZocRDzDRfI/AAAAAAAAGhw/x07NQwzikC4/s720/2011_04_04_IMG_9999.JPG

Ok- so how do you keep the cute toddler from dumping all the art supplies? These 2 things could not co-exist in my house. My 1 year old thinks it is his duty to dump any bin/ box/ drawer within his reach. Very envious. Beautiful room.

JTsMom
04-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Yeah, can't help you there. The tornado team had it destroyed about 5 mins after I took the picture. :rotflmao: Zach usually targets the abacus and the coloring books. He hasn't yet caught onto the fact that there are lots of tiny pieces in some of the bins, thank goodness. I may be investing in a superyard or something soon though. Can you see the chalk hanging from the top of the easel? Guess why. lol

Both rooms get trashed on a pretty regular basis, but they are really easy to clean up, so it's not that bad. The toys are pretty limited with by the baskets, so that stays under control for the most part. The Ikea block wagon on the bottom shelf is my nemesis. It needs to go visit Grandma or something.

wellyes
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Love the maps, just picked them up! Thanks!

ThreeofUs
04-05-2011, 06:43 PM
Lori, you have created a FANTASTIC learning space. I want to come and live in your house. Oh, my gosh, how gorgeous.

Now, how do I make this happen in *my* house??

KrisM
01-18-2012, 08:51 AM
I'm adding a link to another thread with more basket ideas. I know people, like me, search for this thread often, so I thought having it all together would be best.

http://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=423146