PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 fever - how long did it last?

BargainMomforLuke
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
DH is going on the tail end of Day 5 with a fever ranging from 101 - 104. The ped. office said if the fever goes longer than 5 days to let them know. They are probably going to do a chest x-ray & some other tests.

Did any of your kids go longer than 5 days with a fever? Most of my friends kids were done with the fever in 3-4 days.

DH has had the fever, lethargy, sneezing, & coughing as his main symptoms.

g-mama
10-19-2009, 06:53 PM
All three of my kids are over the fever part of the H1N1 and are now dealing with the terrible cough and lethargy. I keep hearing of kids with these 3 day fevers, too. Mine had their fevers for 5-7 days ranging from 100-105. Two of mine (3 and 6 yo) had to go to the hospital for chest x-rays but neither had pneumonia. Sounds like your ped is following same pattern as mine, as the 5-6 day point was when they began to worry.

Hope your kids are on the mend soon. :hug:

Jo..
10-19-2009, 08:39 PM
fairly sure we all had it on our recent trip to the east coast (I hope you didn't catch it from us)! DS and DH never had really high fevers. DD's went to around 104 one night, but I kept treating with alternating Tylenol/Ibu and managed to keep her in the 99-100 range for the duration of the fever (about 4 days). I had a 103. something fever one night, forget what it was, but it was almost 104. For the duration, I also treated myself with alternating Ibu/Tylenol every four hours. I was also feverish for about 4 days, SUPER sick, but then just went into milder cold-like sickness for the next week or so.

FWIW, the doctor said we could give DD double the usual dosage for each Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours. Not sure if that applies to adults, but I was taking 3 motrin at a time and 3 Tylenol at a time to try to control the fever.

becca_g
10-19-2009, 09:31 PM
FWIW, the doctor said we could give DD double the usual dosage for each Tylenol and Motrin every 4 hours. Not sure if that applies to adults, but I was taking 3 motrin at a time and 3 Tylenol at a time to try to control the fever.
Be very careful not to exceed the maximum recommended dose of Tylenol/acetaminophen (http://www.tylenol.com/liver/) as this can result in liver damage.

ThreeofUs
10-19-2009, 10:28 PM
About 4 days of fever here. Massive body aches, though, and awful headaches with lethargy. Mild cough. Also a mouth sore, about which I am concerned enough that I forced DS1 to take medicine for it and may be taking him to the doc.

MommyAllison
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
Ours was not confirmed h1n1, but the fever lasted exactly 36 hours, and was in the 103-104 range.

catpagmo
10-20-2009, 04:45 PM
DD is on day 3 of her fever, ranging from around 101 to 104.2. I'm taking her to the ped this afternoon, so not sure yet if it's H1N1 or not. Our ped wants to see any kiddos who have a fever for 3 days or more.

Jo..
10-20-2009, 04:47 PM
Be very careful not to exceed the maximum recommended dose of Tylenol/acetaminophen (http://www.tylenol.com/liver/) as this can result in liver damage.

Well crap, there goes the part of my liver I haven't already destroyed with afternoon cocktail hour.

Clarity
10-20-2009, 04:55 PM
Oh gosh, Ivy! Do you all have it, or just the runner?