PDA

View Full Version : Laptop warranty help - quick!

Nooknookmom
10-19-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey, I could use help on buying a laptop for DD1. She's on the couch sighing b/c I won't run over to Best Buy and grab the 1st laptop we saw (yesterday). I want to make sure I get a good one. Most importantly, what kind of warranty to they come with?? BB was trying to sell me a 150 dollar extra coverage plan (um, no). I know Dells are better (w/ warranties) but are out of her price range.

Oh, she's looking at one almost like this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9548643&type=product&id=1218122584574

TIA

o_mom
10-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Gateway is on our do not buy list for crappy service after one of their desktops died 2 weeks after the warranty expired (we weren't even trying to get them to cover it, just needed something to show they didn't carry the part anymore and they wouldn't because they were mad we didn't buy their extended warranty).

Toshiba has a horrid reputation for bad fan placement and overheating.

We have an HP and other than the hinge getting wonky, which was repaired under warranty, it has been good.

Our Dell desktop is still chunking along after 4 years and the one before that lasted at least that long before we upgraded purely for speed reasons.

One thing to note... if you use a credit card, most will at least double the manufacturer's warranty - for our HP it has a 1 yr warranty, so by using our MC, it is doubled to 2 years.

codex57
10-19-2009, 07:26 PM
They're all pretty crappy now. Dell, which used to be famous for great CS, is now pretty infamous for how bad they are. Not as bad as HP/Compaq, but pretty horrid.

Apple is prolly your best bet, but likely out of your price range as well. I like the credit card idea. Best Buy's protection plan is pretty crappy. Search the internet for stories on Best Buy and their Protection Plan. Check out www.consumerist.com for examples as well.

I know it's not good news, but that laptop is inexpensive enough that I'd just get it without warranty. Make sure warranty lasts a year and not 90 days. If a credit card extends that, you're pretty good.

kijip
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
It's very much a buyer beware situation now. At that price point I would plan on it lasting 2 years or so tops and I would be happy if there was a 1 year warranty.

ray7694
10-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I have a Dell laptop for scrapbooking and paid about $500 for it. I have been happy with it and their CS.

I would definitely upgrade the battery so it holds a charge longer than an hour.

michellerw
10-19-2009, 09:35 PM
I bought a $500 Dell Inspiron a year ago and, while it's not as awesome as their business grade laptops, I had a good experience with their customer support and warranty service when I had to send it in for hardware service earlier this year. I've been pleased, overall.

We bought my husband a $500 Gateway laptop with an extended warranty about two years ago and in retrospect the extended warranty wasn't worth the money. The laptop is still going strong.

khm
10-19-2009, 09:50 PM
I agree a $150 warranty is too high of a percentage of the new price.

I'd skip it. If it lasts for a long while, great. If it doesn't, on to the next one.

I never get the warranties on computers, I've always been able to get 5-6 years out of them. (And, then still use them in a down-graded capacity.)

I would, however, get applecare if buying an apple. It seems to be worth it for the folks at work (on their personal computers) and for our work computers. Those are a lot more expensive though, and do seem to konk out right after the regular warranty. (Not knocking macs, just what the coworkers tell me, they are all diehard mac people.)

Nooknookmom
10-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Remember when you were a kid and money burned a giant hole in your pocket? Well, DD couldn't wait for me to do more research and **had** to get that Gateway. I have an old Gateway tower that I had issues with, didn't want to buy another product from them.

However, if you've ever been in the room with an unhappy 14 year old girl, you'll know why I just went ahead and bought it for her!!

I wanted her to get the Toshiba, something or other, but I lost. We didn't get the extended warranty, if it dies in a year, guess we'll cross that bridge then.

Thanks everyone!

bluestarfish18
10-19-2009, 09:55 PM
Can I advise you to NEVER buy an extended warranty from Best Buy? I have a horror story that sums up as:
-bought super expensive VAIO laptop with super expensive 3 year extended warranty, with written proof that the warranty would include a free replacement battery every 6 months
-went in a year later for my 2nd replacement battery, but oh no, the salesman lied and the geek squad guy said "oh yeah, those guys will do anything to get you to buy"...but the salesman doesn't work there anymore and the manager couldn't give a rat's booty
-wrote an angry letter to customer service about the situation, with a "too bad for you, but tough cookies" form letter

Long story short: I loathe Best Buy with the fury of a thousand fire ants with PMS...oh, but I love the VAIO laptop though. Had it for 5 years and still running like a power horse.

vonfirmath
10-20-2009, 08:06 AM
For laptops, buy the extended warranty from the manufacturer, not the store.

Check out Fry's, if you have one close, they are generally cheaper.

Laptops are one of those thiings I've always bought the extended warranty on, because if something breaks I can't fix it myself. But this last laptop, they (I bought a Fry's warranty instead of manufacturer) found ways to wiggle out. My dad has had great experiences with HP laptops, so that is all he has bought for the last 10 years. (He is a travelling teacher. So has 2 laptops at all times to teach with.)