PDA

View Full Version : WWYD a/b birthday gift

Melaine
10-19-2009, 07:01 PM
DDs received a wooden art easel with a huge set of supplies for their birthday. It was from their best friends whose parents are some of our best friends. She gave me a receipt just in case, but I had no intention of returning it. It looks really nice and the girls were excited (not that they really knew what they were looking at). DH hasn't had a chance to put it together so I jumped online to see if it was foldable (we don't have the space for it to be out all the time).
Well, I saw that it is foldable, but the reviews are AWFUL. 79 ratings and it got 2 stars average. Only one 5 star rating and when you read it you can tell that person hadn't had it long. I hate the idea of returning it since I will have to mention it to my friend. They are here all the time and I'm sure she would notice. I don't want to say, "Well, I looked at the reviews and they sucked" so I returned it. Ugh....if it wasn't such a *BIG* item I would probably not worry but I HATE to keep it when it will be disappointing and the girls will be upset if it breaks. WWYD?

vonfirmath
10-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Can you return it and buy something similar (does the same job) that gets better reviews? This is a hard one.

misshollygolightly
10-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Hmmm...if it were me, I'd either just keep it or exchange it for a smaller art-related item. If I exchanged it, I'd tell my friend we just didn't have enough room for it, so I swapped it for a similar but smaller item (and I would definitely pick out something that clearly takes up less space). Otherwise, I'd just keep it and not worry about the reviews. I mean, it was a gift so it's not like you've lost the money out of pocket or anything. And it often seems that negative product reviews are overrepresented, because people who are disappointed with a product are usually more likely to review it than those who walked away satisfied.

Globetrotter
10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
I would just keep it since she is a close friend... Now if you really don't have space for it, that's another matter, but you can't turn around and purchase another one of a different brand :)

SnuggleBuggles
10-19-2009, 09:58 PM
I would keep it if you can fit it. It might not have been well reviewed but it really may be perfectly fine for you. I wouldn't really base the decision on the reviews.

Beth

TwinFoxes
10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
What was the big complaint among the reviewers?

ett
10-19-2009, 10:06 PM
I agree with PP's that people are more likely to complain about a product than rave about a product. If space was an issue, then I would return/exchange it, otherwise I would keep it. It is definitely a very nice gift.

And just because I'm curious and nosy, which easel was it? :)

jgenie
10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
I agree - if space isn't an issue I would keep it. I totally understand your pain though. When DH buys gifts for DS or myself I have a hard time not thinking that I could have gotten a better deal if he would have just asked me. Defeats the purpose of a gift I know so I've just learned to be happy DH thought to buy us a gift. :)

egoldber
10-19-2009, 10:34 PM
I would also want to know what the complaints were? If it is that it is not sturdy and breaks easily, then I would return it for something smaller. And just tell her you were worried about space. IMO, if she was offended at the idea of you returning it, she would not have provided a gift receipt.

♥ms.pacman♥
10-19-2009, 10:49 PM
I would keep it if you can fit it. It might not have been well reviewed but it really may be perfectly fine for you. I wouldn't really base the decision on the reviews.

Beth

i totally agree; you can't base the worth of a GIFT simply based on others' reviews! if it looks nice and you think your kids would like it, why not give it a chance?

actually, few months ago, i was about to purchase an infant swing for my SIL as a baby shower gift, but then we didn't because my DH looked up and saw that this particular swing on her registry got relatively low reviews - 2.5 stars. So we got them something else. Then of course at the shower someone else end up getting them that swing anyway, and now they have been using it for 2 months and they love it and use it so much my MIL is getting one for her house for when they come over. So you never know. Basically, i wouldn't make a decision to keep a gift based on reviews alone. If it's too big or i already have one then that it something else, but i wouldn't base it based on reviews alone.

Melaine
10-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I haven't really decided yet, but if anyone is interested this is the item: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2661705
The reviews are pretty emphatic....
DH would definitely say there is no room for this item, so I guess I can go that direction and get some smaller art supplies.

egoldber
10-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Based on those reviews, I would also return it.

Interestingly, I just heard a story about on-line reviews being very inflated (in general). The fact that this one actually gets BAD reviews is a big sign that it is probably a very poor product.

SnuggleBuggles
10-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Oh, those reviews are worst than I expected. It doesn't sound very good. I might have to retract my earlier statement. :)

Beth

traciann
10-20-2009, 08:33 AM
I think if you return it, I would get a different easel.

R2sweetboys
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Honestly, I would not return it for a "better" one. I think that could be insulting and/or hurtful to your friend, regardless of the fact that she provided a gift receipt. It was a generous gift and I would keep it and give it a try. For what it's worth, my parents have this same easel at their house and it has withstood fairly frequent use by 5 grandchildren for the past couple of years. :)
eta Hmm, now I'm thinking my parents have the M&D one-they look similar. The reviews are pretty bad. Could you say it broke so you returned it for a different one? Tough call as I ultimately would want to avoid hurting my friend.

srkaplan
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Unless your friends have the same one & would totally know it by sight, I would exchange it for a similar one (with better reviews). If I gave someone something like that, I'm not sure that I would recognize it if it were exchanged for a slightly different one. That way the intention of the gift is still there. If they ever asked, you could say there was a problem with it and you had to exchange it for a new one.

TwinFoxes
10-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Yikes, those are some bad reviews! I vote return it. But I'm one of those people who would honestly rather have a friend return a gift I got them so they could get something they want. The main reason I think you should return it is it seems like your girls would be disappointed if they tried to use it and it didn't work properly (like not being able to use the chalkboard, that's just lame!)

KpbS
10-20-2009, 10:50 AM
Personally I would return it and get this one http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2333019 (or one very similar) and tell your friend when she comes over that an easel was a perfect gift for your two but you wanted something a little sturdier since the both would be playing with it (most likely at the same time) and the base of this one was quite a bit sturdier.

Tondi G
10-20-2009, 11:28 AM
Looks like the major issues are

chalkboard doesn't work all that well... someone said they had to prime the board (chalk the whole thing 5 or 6 times and then it got better). The dry erase board leaves marks on it (won't clean up)... my recommendation would be to use crayola washable markers, they work beautifully and clean up WAY better (on the board and on children!). There were a few reviews for the legs snapping and it not being sturdy/well made... that might be the killer for me! I am all for being sensitive to the gift giver but if it is just going to be broken and end up in the trash I would rather return it for a more well made/durable product! Could you get away with telling her some family member from out of town shipped another easel to your girls and since you had a receipt from hers you exchanged it for more art supplies?

We have had this easel for years and it has held up well! My little guy loves that he can put magnets on the board as well!

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2323094

WatchingThemGrow
10-20-2009, 11:41 AM
i would return it and get one of the plastic ones b/c they can go outside better. You intended on using it outside also, right?

Globetrotter
10-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Wow, that is pretty bad. Hmmmm, I guess you could get a similar looking one. Is your friend the type to notice these things?

That is a very generous gift (esp. with the art supplies!)

If you use the space reasoning, you could get this one:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2304346

Reviews are much better, it's compact and in the same price range ($10 less).

MamaMolly
10-20-2009, 02:29 PM
I was all ready to say that it was free and use it until it breaks, but after reading those reviews I think everyone is much better off if you exchange it. If your friend was kind enough to include a gift receipt then I don't think she'd get her feelings hurt. I'd just say thank you and if she asks tell her you exchanged it for a smaller version. And that the girls love it.

God bless friends who include gift receipts!!

Melaine
10-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Ok guys thanks for all the input! After talking to DH we decided to return it. Since we really do have a small space I just told my friend that we wanted something we could more easily store. She was absolutely fine with that and told me to please get whatever we wanted and she totally understood about the space issue (which really was a legitimate concern, especially to DH). I should have known not to worry that she would be offended, because she is awesome and such a no-nonsense no-drama friend!
Anyway, I do feel kind of bad because the girls had seen the box and of course wanted to open it but I felt like we'd be asking for it to keep something with those kind of reviews. Now I'm off to shop Amazon for something for the girls from their friends since we got cash back instead of a giftcard!

citymama
10-22-2009, 07:20 PM
That easel looks *just* like the Melissa & Doug easel, which is about the same price and highly rated. Could you do an exchange? And if she asks, let her know this one was sturdier and the same price so you did an even exchange? It's like exchanging clothing for size, almost. ;)

Melaine
10-22-2009, 07:37 PM
That easel looks *just* like the Melissa & Doug easel, which is about the same price and highly rated. Could you do an exchange? And if she asks, let her know this one was sturdier and the same price so you did an even exchange? It's like exchanging clothing for size, almost. ;)

I returned it tonight and they gave us cash. I actually did look for that easel (I think that is the one she has herself and why she wanted to get something similar), but our TRU did not have it (our store is kind of lacking). I think I am going to look at some art supplies on Amazon though.....

citymama
10-22-2009, 07:49 PM
I returned it tonight and they gave us cash. I actually did look for that easel (I think that is the one she has herself and why she wanted to get something similar), but our TRU did not have it (our store is kind of lacking). I think I am going to look at some art supplies on Amazon though.....

Last December, that easel went down to $25 shipped on amazon.com! If your girls don't have an easel, it's a really great gift.