PDA

View Full Version : HFCS Free Apple Butter?

Melaine
10-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Does it exist? I've really been craving it, I know the girls would like it, but the only one I've seen around town has High Fructose Corn Syrup.

ThreeofUs
10-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Sure! Go to a health food store, or a supermarket like Whole Foods. Most good apple butters (and pear butters, yum!) are made of apples, with maybe some cider.

Melaine
10-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Sure! Go to a health food store, or a supermarket like Whole Foods. Most good apple butters (and pear butters, yum!) are made of apples, with maybe some cider.

Duh! I didn't think of that, we don't have any nearby. I'll have to remember next time I am traveling to check that out. I was hoping a grocery store brand might randomly have one with no HFCS. Thanks though!

MontrealMum
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Both American Spoon and Eden are HFCS-free, and all-natural. They're also both from MI, so I don't know if you can get them there, but I buy Eden up here all the time, so I'd imagine that's marketed pretty widely in the US too. It's in the teeny tiny organic section of our regular grocery. Back in MI they're both in the regular section w/the other jams and peanut butters, and those stores don't carry organic at all. So hopefully if you dig you'll be able to find something locally.

pb&j
10-20-2009, 12:59 PM
Or, make it yourself! Around here, local apples are plentiful right now. It is SO EASY in the crockpot. And you can freeze the leftovers to pull out later.

I use this recipe:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-apple-butter-recipe.html
And I use less sugar than is called for. I also peel the apples ahead of time.