PDA

View Full Version : What can I eat? I've been sick since last Thursday!

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Help me out -- I've had some sort of nasty intestinal bug since last Thursday. DH called the nurse line yesterday and they wanted him to call 911 due to severe dehydration. Stupidly, I said no. I think I would have felt better faster if I had an IV. Anywhoooo, I'm feeling a bit better today, but have basically only had gatorade and gastrolyte (adult version of pedialyte) for days. I felt better on Sunday and some food, then had a major relapse Sunday night. So, I'm afraid to eat now....

I can keep saltines and toast "in". And a small amount of probiotic yogurt. And small amounts of banana.

DH went back to work today (he stayed home yesterday to look after me, I couldn't get out of bed without help). He can pick me up stuff if I ask him.

What should I eat? Drink? I just tried warm white tea and it seems OK.

TIA

crl
10-20-2009, 12:49 PM
Chicken broth, if that stays in you could try moving up to chicken noodle soup
jello
since the toast is okay, you could try adding a tiny bit of butter and sugar to it

elephantmeg
10-20-2009, 01:30 PM
applesauce, jello, sprite. I hope you feel better!

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks ladies. Maybe I'll try jello for lunch? yummmmm. NOT.

lizzywednesday
10-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I hate Jell-O, but thought maybe natural-style applesauce could work for you?

(I also hate being sick to my stomach, so I feel for you.)

You can also try plain seltzer to settle the ole tummy.

Tondi G
10-20-2009, 01:40 PM
apple sauce, chicken broth and then chicken noodle, mashed potatoes.

strollerqueen
10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Melissa, I'm sorry to hear you are so sick. Peds here advise the BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, toast. But if any of that grosses you out, including Jello, don't eat it. I'm with Tondi, mashed potatoes work for me, also cottage cheese.

arivecchi
10-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Hugs to you. Stomach viruses are nasty. I like to have Sprite and dry cereal (in my case Frosted Flakes) when I am sick. Green grapes also work for me.

Corie
10-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Whenever my kids are sick, I always try dry Cheerios.

I would keep doing the toast.

Applesauce

Maybe some diced peaches? I read somewhere in a "Natural Remedies"
article that there is an ingredient in the syrup of diced peaches that helps
with nausea.

Corie
10-20-2009, 02:46 PM
P.S. I wondered why you hadn't responded to my PM!!

chinook
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Go for the BRAT diet. Bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast. "They" say it doesn't make a difference but I disagree.

Also, popsicles!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Indianamom2
10-20-2009, 03:27 PM
When I had bad m/s the only safe things were dry cereal (I like Crispix) or flavored rice (like Lipton/Knor's chicken flavored rice).

Hope you feel better soon.

Christina

elektra
10-20-2009, 03:39 PM
Good old chicken soup for me.

DH also makes this ginger soup when he is sick that his mom and grandma used to make. Maybe your DH can make it for you?
My DH calls it chicken con caldito. It's pretty good and it should make enough for left overs.
He usually pours it over white rice.
Here's the recipe. After reading through it I realize some of the terms are not "official" cooking terms but it's an English translation that his grandmother did for him with his mother's help. I think the first version before his mom helped was "cook all ingredients until done" ;)

Ingredients:
Whole Fryer Chicken (or can be made with pieces of dark meat)
Ginger (approx. 2 sq. inches)
2 garlic cloves
Approx. 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
2 celery stalks (chopped)
1 whole onion (chopped or sliced)

Smash garlic and ginger. Place in pot with vinegar and chicken, low flame with lid.
Cook until chicken has lost its juices, stir occasionally (approx. 15 min).
Add boiling water (amount depends on how much broth you want).
Add celery and onion. Salt to taste.
Cook until chicken done.

wendibird22
10-20-2009, 03:47 PM
ginger ale...left sitting out until uncarbonated

toast and if you can tolerate it a little butter and if you can tolerate that a little peanut butter (bland and high protein)

plain noodles or noodle with a little butter

I 2nd the other BRAT recs.

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Would hard-boiled egg be a bad idea? I haven't really had any protein since last week.... :(

Alternatively, sunbutter? I'm hungry but am carbed out! I swear, I am going to turn into a saltine cracker....

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Also, popsicles!

I had a couple of pedialyte popsicles yesterday. They are rather gross...

bubbaray
10-20-2009, 03:57 PM
THanks everyone. I'm not throwing up, its, er, the other end that is having issues. I just need to figure out something to eat b/c I'm starting to get really hungry now!

elektra
10-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Hard boiled eggs are what saved me during my morning sickness with DS. I didn't mention it because I thought it might sound gross and be more of a hormonal morning sickness thing than a real nausea reliever. But yah, eggs worked for me.

jerigirl
10-20-2009, 09:37 PM
Applesauce with cinnamon?

If you still are having "issues", try making some cinnamon tea.
One Tablespoon of cinnamon in one cup of water. Simmer it with a cover on for about 15-20 minutes. Cool it and strain it (paper towel or coffee filter).

kep
10-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I had a couple of pedialyte popsicles yesterday. They are rather gross...

Yes, the only "good" ones are the blue ones. We all fight over them.

ThreeofUs
10-20-2009, 10:45 PM
Chicken soup with noodles. Take a chicken, throw it in a pot with water to cover and any veggies your heart desires, and turn the pot on high. Come back in two hours, add water, come back in another 2 hours and turn it off. Strain.

What you'll have it a high-density liquid full of protein and other great stuff (including natural antibacterials and endorphin enhancers). Add any fresh vegetables, salts, and the chicken meat back in with noodles. Boil for 1/2 hour. Eat.

Low prep, great result, and the soup always makes me feel better. Also helps soothe my digestive tract.

Hope you feel better soon!