PDA

View Full Version : AACK! Co worker just asked if I was pregnant! Need PP&T

AnnieW625
10-20-2009, 01:51 PM
I am sitting in my chair at work and my co worker (female) asks me if I am pregnant. I am wearing a wrap dress so I can see why she thought that but when standing up straight I can still pretty well conceal it. I laugh it off and I lie and say no I am just fat!:hysterical: (the whole thing really made me laugh, and prior to being pg with #2 last fall I was 20lbs lighter so I can use fat as an excuse!) I am 11 weeks and 2 days, and my 12 week appt next Wednesday can't come soon enough. I know I am going to pop probably in the next couple of weeks like I did with the two prior pregnancies (was in maternity cloths full time by 16 or 17 weeks), but I just need some PP&T from you all that I can hide this thing for another week plus a couple of days to get through the nuchal fold test u/s and the blood test results back!

Thanks so much!

elephantmeg
10-20-2009, 01:58 PM
ut-oh! Good luck!

elektra
10-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I can't believe people straight up ask that! P & PT for you guys. :)

kozachka
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Sending lots of positive thoughts your way. Women see it much earlier than guys.

MamaMolly
10-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Of course P & PT are on the way. And a big :banghead: to your co-worker. What an obnoxious comment, even if the kid is hanging between your knees she shouldn't have said anything.

On a very practical note, I wear this very light shaper thingie I bought at Walmart, less that $15 each. It looks like bicycle shorts, only has lace at the end of the legs. I prefer it to a panty style shaper because those hurt my legs and make a panty line. The long one doesn't. They come is several variations of tightness, this is the very lightest. It is lighter than control top hose IMO, but smooths nicely (I *always* sport a belly. Have since puberty). I'm 15 weeks and find it to still be very comfortable under knit dresses for a smooth shape. It will hold your belly in just enough to help you squeak a few more days into your regular clothes.

MoJo
10-20-2009, 02:04 PM
You're probably "glowing!" Or tired. Or any of the other little things that can give a pregnant woman away to another woman who sees her frequently, not including the little growing bump.

Seriously, prayers for you and the new LO inside!

AnnieW625
10-20-2009, 02:05 PM
Of course P & PT are on the way. And a big :banghead: to your co-worker. What an obnoxious comment, even if the kid is hanging between your knees she shouldn't have said anything.

On a very practical note, I wear this very light shaper thingie I bought at Walmart, less that $15 each.

Almost thought about putting the shaper on this morning, but didn't. I have the Hanes brand one from Target. Much better than the $$$ Spanx I also tried. I usually wear pants to work but today I just felt like a dress.

Thankfully said co worker and I get along okay so it wasn't as bad had it been a co worker I couldn't stand.

Laurel
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Sending "non-bump" along with "healthy fetus" vibes your way!

jgenie
10-20-2009, 02:06 PM
She didn't!! :47: P&PT Hopefully no one else is as nosy.

Cheburashka
10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I hate that weird period where you've definitely gained weight, but you don't look pregnant yet, so people who don't know you're pregnant just think you can't keep out of the cookie jar. Early on in my pregnancy, my SO wanted to keep it quiet so people at his work wouldn't make a big deal of it, which worked well until I went to lunch with him and some of his co-workers, and one of the female co-workers went to the bathroom with me to offer some healthy diet tips and a friend pass to the gym she went to. :hug:

wendibird22
10-20-2009, 02:08 PM
I can't believe someone would flat out ask. I may notice it, but never, ever ask. DH and I can't go to a gathering with our couple friends w/out commenting afterwards on who is/isn't drinking and they the same about us. When I revealed this pregnancy it was a few weeks after attending a baby shower and my DF said she knew it and had said so to her DH because I was wearing an empire waist dress and the only reason for empire waist dresses other than fashion is pregnancy! We women are so horrible about having to know. But again, I'd never ask or out anyone.

citymama
10-20-2009, 02:14 PM
That's bizarre. I remember Bill Cosby saying you should never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you can see the head emerging! (This is when he played OB Dr. Huxtable.)

When are you planning to tell co-workers? I telecommute, so no one knows any different, but we have a major all staff retreat in a few weeks and I figured I'd spill the beans then (I'll be at 13 and some weeks). Mostly because I still feel so crappy, and am eating the most strange diet, that I would rather folks know outright than start asking questions. I'm not really showing, so maybe I should not tell quite yet? Just curious about what the opinions are on when to tell work.

eliasmom
10-20-2009, 02:18 PM
Sending a combo of hide it and healthy check up vibes to you!

I hid my pg with DS until 20+ weeks at work with a nifty combo of pants & sweaters. Whenever I wore a dress around my family, my mom said, in her bitchiest voice, *When* are you going to tell work?!?! Those dresses show a lot more!

codex57
10-20-2009, 02:23 PM
P & PT. My wife is the same way. Until the 12 week mark hits, she doesn't want ANYONE to know or ask about the pregnancy.

JTsMom
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I think it's amazing you can still hide it at all! I'm in my 8th week, but am full on showing, and have already been in maternity for a few weeks- it's totally ridiculous. I can't help it though, it's just what my body does. It was bad with Jason, but this time it's WAY worse. People are asking if I know the baby's sex already. :ROTFLMAO: Plus I've had people asking me in round about ways- nobody has outright asked, but I get stuff like, "So, are you planning on having another baby any time soon?" or "Are you setting aside a room for a nursery in your new house?" I can't possibly look at someone with a straight face and claim not to be pregnant b/c it looks like I swallowed a small beach ball.

Anyway, good luck on keeping things hidden for a little longer.

WatchingThemGrow
10-20-2009, 02:24 PM
I got the same question last week :(

I've never tried to hide it, so no words of wisdom for you, just P&PT that you'll feel well and have a healthy one :)

arivecchi
10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Deny, deny, deny!!! I am always so shocked that some people feel the need to ask personal questions. :hopmad: Hey, if I am pregnant, I will tell you when I am good and ready. Unfortunately, it seems pretty common to pop :belly:way earlier with subsequent pregnancies. Here's to hoping you can hide it until you are ready to disclose and to some very healthy screening results! :54:

BargainMomforLuke
10-20-2009, 02:40 PM
People are unbelievable! Hopefully your cover isn't blown yet.

The same thing happened to me a few months back. My neighbor across the street actually patted my belly and said, "Are you?"

She was pretty shocked when I said, "No, I'm just fat. I need to lose 20 pounds."

Oy vey.

strollerqueen
10-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Sorry. I show very early, too, and always got asked early on. People shouldn't ask, but they do. So what can you do? If it really bothers you, you could just tel the truth. That "Yes, I am, but it is still very early, and I would rather not tell anyone until we are sure everything is OK. You DO understand, don't you?" Then hopefully they will keep their mouth shut.

vonfirmath
10-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Honestly, I like the honest answer best. Otherwise, what s this person going to say when you DO tell them you are pregnant? Or I might evade with something like "we're trying" and not say yes or no. And hope they drop it.

But I don't think its that rude to ask a woman if they are pregnant in certain circumstances. And friends at work is one of those circumstances that would not bother me.

srhs
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Prayers for awesome test results!

(edited to remove my joke about maybe she's a BBBer because maybe that's not funny and I'm not thinking clearly)

AnnieW625
10-20-2009, 02:56 PM
That's bizarre. I remember Bill Cosby saying you should never ask a woman if she's pregnant unless you can see the head emerging! (This is when he played OB Dr. Huxtable.)

When are you planning to tell co-workers? I telecommute, so no one knows any different, but we have a major all staff retreat in a few weeks and I figured I'd spill the beans then (I'll be at 13 and some weeks). Mostly because I still feel so crappy, and am eating the most strange diet, that I would rather folks know outright than start asking questions. I'm not really showing, so maybe I should not tell quite yet? Just curious about what the opinions are on when to tell work.

Hopefully the end of next week if all goes right, so almost 13 weeks, which would be the following Monday (gosh how I love my date calculators I use for work!:)) With DD I told people right around 10 weeks because I was falling asleep at my desk at 11 am. With #2 I told at 11 weeks because I happened to be at happy hour for a co worker who was starting a new job and wasn't drinking. #2 was just a comedy of sad errors though (thank goodness old OB is no longer in the practice) and it took 4 weeks after 17 week u/s to get into perinatologist, and another week after that to get an amnio. I am soo thankful for this u/s and extra blood work at 13 weeks that they just started doing at my clinic.

zephyr
10-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I just got asked the same thing at work the other day! I was super pissed at this person because 1) I am NOT pregnant and 2) when I asked her why she was inquiring, she just replied "oh you've changed." Oh REALLY? As in I've gained a few pounds??!! This coworker drives me batty. If I were you, I would wear pants with a loose button down shirt and maybe a blazer or loose sweater.

citymama
10-20-2009, 03:11 PM
I am soo thankful for this u/s and extra blood work at 13 weeks that they just started doing at my clinic.

My u/s is next week - Oct 28 - when's yours? Did the blood work last week. I am keeping my fingers crossed everything goes OK. This whole pregnancy has been surreal.

AnnieW625
10-20-2009, 03:36 PM
My u/s is next week - Oct 28 - when's yours? Did the blood work last week. I am keeping my fingers crossed everything goes OK. This whole pregnancy has been surreal.

Mine too on Oct. 28! At 3:15 and 3:45!:)

Fairy
10-20-2009, 03:51 PM
You've got mine! P&PT'ing for you!

Stupid-ass co-worker.

citymama
10-20-2009, 03:56 PM
Mine too on Oct. 28! At 3:15 and 3:45!:)

Mine is at 1.30 - I'll be thinking of you later that day! :)

mom2binsd
10-20-2009, 04:04 PM
I can't believe anybody asks that...you just never know...maybe she saw you doing that instinctive belly rub....I often see friends who are pregnant doing that without even realizing they are...positive vibes for test results too!!!

BillK
10-20-2009, 04:09 PM
I was at a local Community Chest meeting this morning and this very subject came up.

All of us guys at the meeting agreed that even if we were sitting in a delivery room with a woman giving birth we'd still NEVER ask if she were pregnant. :D