PDA

View Full Version : Do you save your kids' baby teeth?

Corie
10-21-2009, 12:28 PM
When my daughter loses a tooth and the tooth fairy comes, I keep
the baby tooth. I have a special container filled with 7 of her baby teeth.

I will do the same thing for my son once he starts losing his teeth.

So, do you keep the baby teeth (like I do) or do you throw them out
once the tooth fairy comes?

mommylamb
10-21-2009, 12:33 PM
My DS isn't at that stage yet, and while there's part of me that wants to keep them... I'm not sure why that is. My parents are in the process of moving and recently came across my baby teeth...my mother asked me if I wanted them (Absolutely not). I mean, yuck.

Wife_and_mommy
10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
I have one of those "old time" film canisters with our 10yo dog's baby teeth. What do you think?:ROTFLMAO:

I can't bring myself to throw them out. I'll probably keep them forever. Luckily they take up no room.

Hadn't really planned it out but I'll probably keep the kids' baby teeth as well. I'll be able to return those to their owners. ;)

ETA: Just read mommylamb's reply. LOL. Doesn't seem gross to me. They're tiny and cute(the dog's, that is). My kids' haven't lost any teeth yet. Probably next year.

vonfirmath
10-21-2009, 12:37 PM
My parents kept all of our baby teeth, carefully marking the envelope with the date.

But not whose tooth it was. Since we are 20 months apart, this makes a lot of teeth we aren't sure whose they are.

OTOH, I don't recall ever caring. I guess I could make them into a necklace or something if I knew they were mine?

Wife_and_mommy
10-21-2009, 12:42 PM
My parents kept all of our baby teeth, carefully marking the envelope with the date.

But not whose tooth it was. Since we are 20 months apart, this makes a lot of teeth we aren't sure whose they are.

OTOH, I don't recall ever caring. I guess I could make them into a necklace or something if I knew they were mine?

Omgosh, LOL. I would so not keep teeth if I thought they were a sibling's. *That* I find gross. :ROTFLMAO:

Thinking on it, I don't mind picking up my own dog's poop but so :barf: at any others. I guess it's the same for me with my dog/kids' baby teeth.

billysmommy
10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
Yup ~ I use one of those hinged jewelry boxes to keep them in.

I always worry though that he's going to find them even though they're not in a place he would ever look.

daphne
10-21-2009, 12:52 PM
I will probably keep them. We were never able to locate the 1st 2 that DS lost, though.

calv
10-21-2009, 01:01 PM
keep them. no idea why but whatever. I'll give them to the kids someday, lol

catroddick
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Hmmm... I have baby teeth from my horses, and one from my dog. Surely I'll keep DD's.
I know my mom kept mine. Wonder what she's done with them.

I can't image throwing them out. But what do you do with them?

wolverine2
10-21-2009, 01:47 PM
I will keep them. And then probably throw them out when the kids are like 30. Why does everyone have this urge to keep them?

I admit that I have my wisdom teeth in a box. No idea why. They gave them to me after pulling them out and they've been in the same box ever since.

Corie
10-21-2009, 04:23 PM
I can't image throwing them out. But what do you do with them?

I have no clue.

I have my daughter's teeth in an old empty medicine container.

SnuggleBuggles
10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I have them. Ds refused to give them to the tooth fairy so they are just sitting there in his room. I knocked one over just today and it broke when it hit the hard ground! Knowing ds1 he'll keep them forever. Hopefully he won't become that creepy guy who keeps nail clippings and stuff in a big bag in his closet when he is an adult! :p

Beth

g-mama
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
So I guess I'm the only coldheart who throws them away?

I really can't see keeping them. My mom never produced a collection of my teeth at any point so it never crossed my mind.

I remember on American Idol last season there was a guy who had kept a collection of all his fingernail trimmings since childhood in a Ziploc bag. I wanted to barf. No offense, but I kind of feel the same way about keeping old, decaying teeth.

infomama
10-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I keep them. My mom ran across mine a few months back and it was kind of fun to see my little teeth. I had no problem throwing them out so I suppose that is what I will do with my girls.

fortato
10-21-2009, 06:35 PM
I have one of those "old time" film canisters with our 10yo dog's baby teeth. What do you think?:ROTFLMAO:

LOL- When I turned 12, my parents gave me the same film canister with my baby teeth in it. I was fascinated with them... especially the ones that had to be extracted....

It's not gross for me... seeing as how I saved Jack's umbilical stump.

hellokitty
10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Well, so far no, b/c DS1 swallowed his first and only tooth that he has lost so far, lol.

As for saving it, I have no clue. I never thought about it. I saved some of my own baby teeth and found them in my old jewelry box at my parents' and was kind of grossed out by it.

kep
10-21-2009, 09:56 PM
My DS isn't at that stage yet, and while there's part of me that wants to keep them... I'm not sure why that is. My parents are in the process of moving and recently came across my baby teeth...my mother asked me if I wanted them (Absolutely not). I mean, yuck.

I am in the same boat. My oldest ds has only lost one tooth so far, and he had been saving it in the bathroom medicine cabinet. (He had been a little uncertain about the tooth fairy coming.) After I cleaned the other day, he came in asking where his tooth had gone. Ummm... :sulkoff: :duh: :innocent:

I was feeling kind of sentimental about his first tooth, but I guess this decided it. As a side note, my mom also produced a tooth collection of mine kept in a small tupperware container. Eww. I really just don't care at the point about my old baby teeth. Will my kids care about theirs? No idea.

kep
10-21-2009, 10:02 PM
LOL- When I turned 12, my parents gave me the same film canister with my baby teeth in it. I was fascinated with them... especially the ones that had to be extracted....

Kristen, ewwwww. Really? :sulkoff: Do you keep in a little velvet box next to your bed? Do you pet it? :duck:

KpbS
10-21-2009, 10:27 PM
I think I will, but it might be non-negotiable w/ DS1. I think teeth are cool--I almost went to dental school.

fortato
10-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Kristen, ewwwww. Really? :sulkoff: Do you keep in a little velvet box next to your bed? Do you pet it? :duck:

Kelli... If you want, I can put it in a card and send it to you... it's really sweet...and crusty.
(I kept it because I was an emotional mess, and it was his connection to me... one of those things...)

kep
10-21-2009, 11:13 PM
Kelli... If you want, I can put it in a card and send it to you... it's really sweet...and crusty.
(I kept it because I was an emotional mess, and it was his connection to me... one of those things...)

Awww, you're so sweet! :kisscheek: You are always thinking of me! Well at least Jack's will have company now. :love-retry:

Wife_and_mommy
10-21-2009, 11:24 PM

LOL. You just reminded me that a childhood friend's mom kept either the plastic piece thingy to her youngest's circ or the umbilical stump. It was in a small jar in some liquid. That is so very gross. I remember seeing it all the time because she kept it pretty accessible. Ah, memories...:ROTFLMAO:

kijip
10-22-2009, 02:00 AM
Huh, no. The idea actually kind grosses me out (for me, other people doesn't bother me at all). It hits two of my big blocks- clutter/stuff to keep and keeping stuff that was on a body and is no longer needed/serves no function.

We have not lost any teeth here yet, but I am sure that we won't be keeping them.

niccig
10-22-2009, 02:10 AM
I don't think I'll keep them. Not my thing. I did ask for my wisdom teeth. My sister was an art student at college and wanted them for a piece she was working on. I don't know if she ever used them, maybe she didn't and came across them one day and threw them away. I should ask her, OP you've got me curious now.

kransden
10-22-2009, 09:50 AM
My mom kept ours until I was a teenager. My oldest brother at the time was 30. So I'll probably keep dd's until then too.

lablover
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
I was thinking of just keeping the first tooth that falls out. Well, the second tooth in DS's case. DS has lost 4 teeth so far but we were only able to recover the 2nd one. Not sure if he swallowed the others or if they fell on the ground outside somewhere. I'm not sure if I'll keep more given the chance.

NewMom2007
10-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Never would have even thought about this! DS hasn't lost any yet, so not sure what we'll do. My immediate thought is to toss them, but I'm also one of those people who kept the umbilical cord stump (I couldn't bear to part with it). Not exactly sure where it is at the moment...LOL...it will show up and I will wonder what it is at some point in the future.

My parents didn't keep our teeth and I certainly wouldn't want them (grosses me out)...

Meatball Mommie
10-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Ok, I must be some kind of weird collector or something, but there's no question in my mind - KEEP THEM! I actually have ALL of my own baby teeth and DH has some of his. When I was little I hated wiggling my teeth and would rather go to my dentist and have him pull them out so I have these cute little plastic treasure chests with teeth in them. One year, close to the end of my tooth losing stage, I asked the tooth fairy for them back! Good thing my parents kept them! I even still have that note! MIL was a dental hygienist (sp?) so she's obsessed with teeth ;)

Ok, I know what you're thinking but I'm not a hoarder or anything and my house isn't even cluttered. I just have a plastic box in my attic that I consider my "save" box...old cards signed by deceased grandparents, HS yearbooks and silly college sorority stuff, shells from different beaches...that kind of thing.

Anyway, I am not grossed out by old baby teeth at all (obviously) and we've taken them out and showed our eldest (who has a wiggly tooth currently - his first). He thought it was cool... Maybe it's because I'm a scientist and my husband is an engineer and we're semi-nerdy anyway??