PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a coffee table?

jennilynn
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
DS is almost 1 and almost walking, but also climbing on everything. I've already moved several small kinda flimsy bookshelves and cabinets to the garage and recently put our coffee table (which has 3 glass panels) in the bedroom b/c I was afraid he might lunge off the couch or something and break the glass (more worried about him getting cut than the table, tho.) So we're running out of living room furniture, and also running out of ways to hide the cords behind the TV and computer. Any suggestions? Does anyone with new walkers have any furniture left? And should I keep it or get something more child-friendly?

elektra
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
We just put those rubbery bumper things around our old coffee table. And then in our family room we just have an ottoman actually, no coffee table.
We do have a glass topped coffee table in our formal living room but it is rounded and we don't spend a ton of time in there. I may put a bumper on it when DS starts to cruise.
It's hard to find that balance between bubble wrapping your entire house and letting some things go though.

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
You mean that thing that is like a surfboard on legs? Oh yeah, we have one of those.

We removed the surfboard AKA coffee table when DD#1 was around 1. We only recently brought it back into the family room -- DD#2 is 2.5 now and DD#1 is 5.5. AND THEY STILL USE IT LIKE A SURFBOARD.

AHHHHH!

elektra
10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
DD#2 is 2.5 now and DD#1 is 5.5. AND THEY STILL USE IT LIKE A SURFBOARD.

AHHHHH!

Wonderful. So the climbing lasts for years and years??
DD actually fell off our ottoman a few days ago. Luckily she was unhurt, but I'm kinda glad it happened because now she knows I'm not making things up when I tell her to sit down because she might fall. She also walks all over the couch too, but what are you going to do?

ohiomom1121
10-21-2009, 02:52 PM
We also had a glass one that we had to get rid of. I replaced it with a leather ottoman (same size as a coffee table) from www.overstock.com (http://www.overstock.com) and am really happy with it. Very toddler/baby proof!

lchang25000
10-21-2009, 03:10 PM
We also have a leather ottoman in the basement along with 2 couches where DS plays. Our main level is not as baby friendly so it's off limits to him.

hellokitty
10-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I want to get a big leather ottoman instead. We got rid of our coffee table for several yrs when DS1 and DS2 were younger and then probably brought it back about 2 yrs ago. Well, the table is freakin MESS! It is a clutter magnet and I can't stand how the kids add to it with all of their crap (even though they have their own playroom to mess up). On top of that DS3 will be crawling soon in the next few months. I think we will just retire our coffee table back down to the basement. it is rod iron with glass on top, and if a child crawls underneath it, they can scrape themselves up pretty badly. Our kids did not try to crawl on top of our coffee table, b/c we made a point of not letting it become a habit when they were young. However, both my neice and nephew climbed on it when they were younger. I'd say that it's not unusual for kids to want to climb on coffee tables. Mine don't, b/c we make a big deal about not doing it.

brittone2
10-21-2009, 04:10 PM
We have a very large upholstered ottoman. I got it when DS was a young infant instead of a coffee table and we've liked having it. It is very large, and it is hinged, but the hinges are the the kind that close very slowly so you really can't get pinched or anything in it, kwim? The inside provides great storage for a few blankets, board games, etc.

We need a tray for using it w/ beverages, but I'm okay with that.

AshleyAnn
10-21-2009, 09:12 PM
DH decided to clean the livingroom and flipped our coffee table upside down. A week and a half later its still upside down. I told him tonight I decided I was throwing it out and he said go for it so maybe it was a hint? I was planning to get rid of it once DD started to creep/walk since it takes up a lot of our livingroom and its a just a bruise waiting to happen.

My SIL has a coffee table similar to what Brittone described with the storage area (her's is all wood). She lets her boys climb all over it and use it to pull up and thinks they will learn to not to get hurt on it since its there everyday (she's a big believer in 'bruises happen'). I love that it has storage for all the everyday baby stuff and can be used to hide all the clutter in a pinch.

zag95
10-21-2009, 10:04 PM
We got rid of our glass and wrought iron table- and bought 2 smaller leather cubes- bonus is that we can store toys in them! We have them in front of our couch- the tops flip over and have trays, if needed (got them from Cost Plus)

We love them- and if DD crashes, it is "safer" than into glass! She's about 21 mos- and it has been a good change

infomama
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Oversized upholstered leather ottoman for us. Safe, comfortable and attractive.

ellies mom
10-22-2009, 10:26 AM
We have lovely wood coffee table living in our bedroom right now. We did fine with bumpers on it with our oldest but that clearly wasn't going to help with the youngest. So we moved it out and got a small leather storage ottoman from Target so I have a place for my feet.