PDA

View Full Version : Toothbrush for toddler

slworld
10-21-2009, 02:10 PM
We have been using a finger brush (no paste) to clean DS' teeth since he was maybe 9months old. Now at 15months he has started to bite when I try to brush so we switched to a toothbrush (think it was Colgate). But seems like the brush is too hard on his gums since the couple of times I used it, his gums started to bleed (didnt have this issue with the finger brush). Any suggestions on a soft toothbrush for a toodler?

Thanks much

sariana
10-21-2009, 02:15 PM
We like the Oral-B Stage 1 brushes. They are for 6-24 months. That's what DD uses (21 months). In a few months we'll switch to the Stage 2, which is good until age 5. DS (5) uses Stage 3, which is for 5-7. I don't think there is a Stage 4.

Watch for coupons and sales. The coupons are usually for 2, or 2 pastes, but I think you can get one of each.

ett
10-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I usually just buy any toothbrush that is labeled "soft" and I've never had a problem with gums bleeding. I've used the Colgate soft brushes with no problems.

wendibird22
10-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I usually buy the children's size soft (some have extra soft). I prefer a wider brush head than a narrow one. I thought the narrow one would be easier to reach the back teeth, but found it too narrow a surface and with a limited window of opportunity of DD being cooperative a wider surface area is more likely to hit more teeth in the quickest amount of time!

AnnieW625
10-21-2009, 03:02 PM
DD still uses the Oral B Stages brushes 2 extra soft (I think), but I really prefer the classic toddler size Oral B brush (straight handle no designs, just clear colored plastic) we got at the dentist office last time we went. Unfortunately I can't find them anywhere. I have really sensitive gums and have had really good luck with Oral B Advantage sensitive so if you can't find an extra soft childs brush you might try that one.

brittone2
10-21-2009, 03:46 PM
we've liked the Firefly soft brushes from Target and similar. Flashing light on the handle might be a handy distraction ;) The fireflies run about $1 or a little more each so quite reasonable.

maestramommy
10-21-2009, 03:47 PM
I think we used the Oral B stages toothbrush as the first brush. The head is bigger than the other ones (no idea why!) but it has nice soft bristles.

Swimfreak78
10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
Has anyone used an electric brush. DS is 18 months and hates having his teeth brushed