PDA

View Full Version : Need b-day and xmas gift ideas for a 3 year old boy

arivecchi
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
I have no clue what to get DS1 (his bday is also in Dec) besides a balance bike and both my mom and MIL want ideas as well. TIA.

sariana
10-21-2009, 03:33 PM
If you have the space for it, I would suggest one of those tunnel things. (They are collapsible, so the space does not have to be permanent.)

My DS is 5 and still loves to crawl through things. DD is 1 1/2 and is starting to like it too. It also is a good sensory activity.

There are versions that attach to tents or other "rooms," and there are some that are just tunnels.

DS already has a tent (from the ILs), so I'm thinking of getting him just a tunnel piece. Otherwise I would seriously consider getting him the one at Costco.

This isn't the one they have at the warehouse, but it is the same idea:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11489584&search=tunnel&Mo=4&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=tunnel&Ntt=tunnel&No=3&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1

westgre
10-21-2009, 03:34 PM
Automoblox and a Stomp Rocket junior.

Jen841
10-21-2009, 03:40 PM
My son treasures his MatchBox cars and his 'car suitcase.' We have a Hot Wheels track and a CARS fold up track that he plays with for hours.

Other favorites include Automoblox, Imaginex Pirate Ship, scooter, Big Wheel, bike, dress-ups, play dough and drumroll please.....................DRUM SET (from TRU.) Anything that makes noise is loved by both boys. They have a whole music stage set up in the basement and they love to be stars.

Craft stuff and puppets I buy them, but admit they don't get the love I want them to get.

We have received subscription gifts that have gone over well! This year for Christmas we are receiving a subscription to kids plays at a local theatre. In the past we have received Zoo and Musuem Memberships. Thanks to reciprocal programs we have visited a variety of children's musuems this year.

ohiomom1121
10-21-2009, 05:14 PM
DS is 3 and loves Automoblox and anything Imaginext (bat cave and gorilla mountain are played with a ton.). He also loves his Magnatiles. One of his big gifts this year will be a Quadrilla Twist Marble Run...he is completely fascinated with them everywhere we go.

arivecchi
10-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas!

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Whoa! The sister girl thread is getting way more hits. C'mon boy mommas!!! :11: LOL.

baileygirl
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
No wonderful ideas, but I'll throw out some of the things we are getting DS1 who turns 3 around Thanksgiving...

-550 bulk duplo set
-Misc sets like the police station (on sale at lego.com), fire truck, etc...they are nice because he plays with the vehicles outside of the duplos as well as builds with them.
-Black and Decker tool set
-Leapster games
-Tag books
-Small set of Kaplan blocks

(above are what we have already bought)

Some things we are considering getting are kids wheelbarrow, Bruder Trucks and he keeps asking for a kids microphone and guitar...and maybe a second set of Magnatiles.

Matchbox came out with kind of a cute truck called Rocky, you might consider looking at. If you don't have puzzles, I would get some of those. If he likes puzzles you might consider something like Master Mind (I only do this with DS1, because I don't want the pieces getting into DS2's hands). We already have sports stuff, trains, etc...

AnnieW625
10-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Elisa loves her Plasma Car knockoff a Skitter, http://www.skittertoys.com/ We got this one last year over Plasma car because they were at least $20 cheaper than the Plasma Car, but now I believe that the prices are comparable on Amazon.

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I've been researching the suggestions. Why are Automoblox so well liked? Much better than Matchbox cars? We have the Imaginext pirate ship and he loves it, so maybe get him something else from that line. Love the marble run. Very cool. Also like the magnatiles. Those are all good options in addition to the balance bike. He already has a trike, a scooter and a Little Tykes coupe. He also has a small drum set and guitar. He does love music, so maybe a bigger drum set? I might regret that one though!

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 01:12 PM
I like the idea of a mike! He would love that. The plasma-like car is so cool, but I am not sure where he would be able to use it as we have a townhome. :(

baileygirl
10-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I bought some of the mini Automoblox last year at Target after Christmas (they were on sale). The idea is you can change out the pieces and build the cars. We have several, but I think I am going to have them put up until DS2 (7 months) is older because the wheels are fairly small. Along the same idea, there is also a store (some company as build a bear) where you can go in and build a car. Sorry, I am not certain of the name...but maybe you could do something like that with him too.

Duplo has some cars where you use a screw driver to take off the wheels. On Amazon I bought not too long ago a truck where you use a "drill" to remove nuts and bolts from it. You can take the thing apart and then put it back together.

Along the lines of the pirate ship, the new space shuttle is pretty cute. I haven't seen it at TRU, but it is currently $5 off at Target. For stocking stuffers I have bought a couple of stuffed character dolls (i.e. one from Yo Gabba Gabba one from Go Diego) and some stuff from the Science Museum (one of those planes that flies around, a pen that you need a black light which is part of the pen to read, space ice cream, etc).

AnnieW625
10-22-2009, 02:32 PM
So far I am not super impressed with Automoblox unless you can afford to buy two or three at a time. The minis are really small and at $10 a pop I honestly can see DD having as much fun with one as her $1 Matchbox cars. I think if you can give them in a set of three to a five year old who is old enough to change the parts out himself them you have a great gift. I have never seen them at our Target, just bought one on Amazon last week to give as a gift to a 3 yo and ended up just giving him something else. I would've been much happier had I ordered what I was going to order originally, http://www.amazon.com/Green-Toys-TLS01R-Tool-Set/dp/B001Q3KUAA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256236333&sr=8-6

Also I got some Cars Mega Bloks sets at TJ Maxx last week for $8 and they are really nice. I got Lightening McQueen for DD's friend, and got Mater for Elisa (he's her favorite).

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Our nephew is 3 and a half and he's all about construction equipment - bulldozers, backhoes, tractors, etc. - so it's been really easy to find things he likes.

HOWEVER, his "big" gift from DH and I last Christmas was a remote-controlled dinosaur that I bought from HearthSong:

http://hearthsong.com/hsong_assets/images/shop/catalog/725561e.jpg

I got him a Triceratops, which HS doesn't seem to be offering this year.

We also chipped in with the ILs and gave him a wooden crane from PBK.

This year, I've got my eye on a few of the trucks made from recycled plastic, assuming they don't sell out before I decide to buy them!

vonfirmath
10-22-2009, 02:44 PM
I bought some of the mini Automoblox last year at Target after Christmas (they were on sale). The idea is you can change out the pieces and build the cars. We have several, but I think I am going to have them put up until DS2 (7 months) is older because the wheels are fairly small. Along the same idea, there is also a store (some company as build a bear) where you can go in and build a car. Sorry, I am not certain of the name...but maybe you could do something like that with him too.

Duplo has some cars where you use a screw driver to take off the wheels.

Duplo? Like Lego Duplo? This sounds neat! But I haven't seen it. Could you post a link?

baileygirl
10-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Yes, it is Lego Duplo where you can remove the tires. You can only do minimal building with the cars themselves. DS has been playing with this pretty much non stop for the last week....

http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=5641&cn=100003&d=100001

http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=5640&cn=100003&d=100001

We bought the smaller set above at the Lego store, I haven't seen them anyplace else.

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, it is Lego Duplo where you can remove the tires. You can only do minimal building with the cars themselves. DS has been playing with this pretty much non stop for the last week....

http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=5641&cn=100003&d=100001

http://shop.lego.com/ByAge/Product.aspx?p=5640&cn=100003&d=100001

We bought the smaller set above at the Lego store, I haven't seen them anyplace else. This is awesome! Thanks!

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Also I got some Cars Mega Bloks sets at TJ Maxx last week for $8 and they are really nice. I got Lightening McQueen for DD's friend, and got Mater for Elisa (he's her favorite). DS1 loves Cars, so I may have to look for this! On a total OT note, DS2 loves it when we say "kachow!" (spelling?). He giggles like crazy. So cute!

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
HOWEVER, his "big" gift from DH and I last Christmas was a remote-controlled dinosaur that I bought from HearthSong:

I got him a Triceratops, which HS doesn't seem to be offering this year.

We also chipped in with the ILs and gave him a wooden crane from PBK.

This year, I've got my eye on a few of the trucks made from recycled plastic, assuming they don't sell out before I decide to buy them! Added to the list! DS loves dinousaurs! Too bad they don't have the triceratops one!

Melanie
10-22-2009, 03:52 PM
Unit Blocks
Play dough (if you have outdoor play space!)
3-wheeled scooter
gift cards for 'experiences' like children's museums, gymnastic class, build-a-bear, painting places

Three was the "ship obsession" year for my son. He turned everything into one, he loved his big wooden ship

Ds also still likes his mini automoblox but I think you really have to have more than one for it to be fun.

Wooden train set

mommylamb
10-22-2009, 04:01 PM
DS is 2 and a half now. His favorite toy is this garbage truck http://www.amazon.com/Tonka-Mighty-Motorized-Garbage-Truck/dp/B002LGIOR2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256241409&sr=8-3

Not sure why he's so into garbage trucks these days, but he really is.

For Christmas, I'm planning on getting him a leapster (or leapster 2). I know it's a bit early, but I think he'll like just playing with it.

He also really likes books and anything with numbers and letters. My mother got him these Melissa and Doug magnetic numbers and letters and they have been a huge hit: http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Magnetic-Letters-Numbers/dp/B000PXVO7A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1256241575&sr=1-4

I may also get him a large etch-a-sketch. He has the travel version now.

I'm trying not to buy any more big toys or outside toys. He already has a trike, a fisher price car thing, a wagon... too much stuff.

almostamom
10-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Trucks. For my son, who is almost 5, the past few years have been all about trucks. Construction trucks, firetrucks, semi-trucks, garbage trucks, cement trucks, etc. Some make noise, others are quiet. Some have remote controls, others don't. He doesn't care as long as it's a truck.

His other favorite at age 3 were GeoTrax. We started magazine subscriptions at age 3 as well. I think he got Animal Baby that year.

HTH,

Linda

almostamom
10-22-2009, 05:09 PM
Trucks. For my son, who is almost 5, the past few years have been all about trucks. Construction trucks, firetrucks, semi-trucks, garbage trucks, cement trucks, etc. Some make noise, others are quiet. Some have remote controls, others don't. He doesn't care as long as it's a truck.

His other favorites at age 3 were GeoTrax and anything that had to do with Cars and Lightning McQueen. We started magazine subscriptions at age 3 as well. I think he got Animal Baby that year.

HTH,

Linda