PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel like a short-order cook?!

LarsMal
10-21-2009, 03:53 PM
This is the conversation I had with DS a little while ago:

DS: (just getting back from preschool) I'm hungry. I want a snack.
Me: Okay. Do you want some fruit? Toast?
DS: (looks in the fridge) I want a bagel.
Me: Do you want it plain or toasted?
DS: Toasted
Me: Butter? PB? Jelly?
DS: (thinks for a minute) I want a mini bagel, toasted, one side peanut butter, one side jelly, open- not closed like a sandwich...and the jelly...(opens fridge)...I want grape, not raspberry. Oh, and can you pour me some soy milk, too? Plain, not chocolate.

Got it, Chief!! Demanding little bugger!

Clearly I'm his short-order cook!!!!

brittone2
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
This is the conversation I had with DS a little while ago:

DS: (thinks for a minute) I want a mini bagel, toasted, one side peanut butter, one side jelly, open- not closed like a sandwich...and the jelly...(opens fridge)...I want grape, not raspberry. Oh, and can you pour me some soy milk, too? Plain, not chocolate.

Got it, Chief!! Demanding little bugger!

Clearly I'm his short-order cook!!!!

Every day LOL. And I don't actually "short order cook" as in make them chicken nuggets while we eat something else for dinner, kwim? But man, it is tough to keep up sometimes even without doing that, isn't it?

I got so sick of it about a year ago that I gave them their own lower level cabinet with dishes, small drinking glasses, etc. and my 5.5 year old gets a lot of his own stuff. The 2 year old can get her own water out of the fridge dispenser or older brother sometimes helps. I have no problem cooking/making their meals overall, but our current setup makes life a *little* easier since the oldest can grab them some fruit from the fridge and a cup of water for each of them at times if I can't immediately fill a request.

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 04:09 PM
Yup, feeling that way here too. NOT fun. Then again, I'm just happy when they eat at all.

JTsMom
10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
Our House

J: "I want to have an apple. Oh, I must have an apple immediately!!!! Please!!!! I'm famished!!!! I can't go on without an apple right this second!!!!"

Me: Dutifully cuts apple just so, and presents it on the required Halloween plate.

J: Takes one bite. "I'm done!"

Me: "You're kidding, right?"

J: "Nope, I'm full."

Me: "You're sure, right? Your not going to come back in 2 minutes and ask for more food, are you?"

J: "No, I'm sooooooo full."

2 minutes later, and often in front of someone else

J: "I'm soooooo hungry! Mom, please? Please can I have food?!? The apple? Oh no, I don't like apples. I have to have chicken! Right now!!!!! I'm staaaaaaaaaaaaarving!!!"

I'm going to start skipping the actual preparing and serving of the food and dump it directly in the trash when he asks for it.

brittone2
10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Our House

J: "I want to have an apple. Oh, I must have an apple immediately!!!! Please!!!! I'm famished!!!! I can't go on without an apple right this second!!!!"

Me: Dutifully cuts apple just so, and presents it on the required Halloween plate.

J: Takes one bite. "I'm done!"

Me: "You're kidding, right?"

J: "Nope, I'm full."

Me: "You're sure, right? Your not going to come back in 2 minutes and ask for more food, are you?"

J: "No, I'm sooooooo full."

2 minutes later, and often in front of someone else

J: "I'm soooooo hungry! Mom, please? Please can I have food?!? The apple? Oh no, I don't like apples. I have to have chicken! Right now!!!!! I'm staaaaaaaaaaaaarving!!!"

I'm going to start skipping the actual preparing and serving of the food and dump it directly in the trash when he asks for it.

Sorry, but that makes me :ROTFLMAO: because it is all too familiar. The above scenario is usually followed by "but you never feed me mommy" while I'm on the phone or in front of family/friends LOL. Oh, the drama ;) I usually dump the rejected item into a container in the fridge. They *sometimes* come back to it. Or Dh takes it to work for lunch LOL.

g-mama
10-21-2009, 04:35 PM

ME TOO!! That may be the best timesaving idea I've ever gotten on this board in 6 years!

egoldber
10-21-2009, 05:10 PM
:rotflmao:

JTsMom
10-21-2009, 05:34 PM
but you never feed me mommy" :hysterical:

I forgot to add in the part where I drive 100+ miles round-trip to shop for all of this disposable food at Whole Foods, and spend an arm and a leg on said food, only to hear the following every. single. time. at Speech, as I sit helplessly silent behind the observation glass:

Therapist, trying to work on convo skills: "Jason, what did you have for lunch today?"

Jason. "Bread and butter. And water."

Me, trying to resist banging on the glass: "I made you pasta, with fresh organic vegetables and roasted chicken/whatever it was that day!!!!!!!!!

Every. time. Bread and butter and water. I am not making this up.

LarsMal
10-21-2009, 07:14 PM
:hysterical:

Jason. "Bread and butter. And water."

Me, trying to resist banging on the glass: "I made you pasta, with fresh organic vegetables and roasted chicken/whatever it was that day!!!!!!!!!

Every. time. Bread and butter and water. I am not making this up.

Oh, cr$p, that's *not* a good lunch?! Whenever I ask DD what she wants to eat- or give her the good stuff- she says she only wants "a bread and butter sandwich". So, you know what she gets...a bread and butter sandwich- and water!! Well, maybe milk if I'm feeling generous!! :ROTFLMAO:

almostamom
10-21-2009, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=LarsMal;2509584]This is the conversation I had with DS a little while ago:

QUOTE]

I've got a picture of Meg Ryan in When Harry Met Sally when she was ordering apple pie!

Today was actually a good food day for us - pancakes with a Wheat Thin chaser for breakfast, 2 bites of 4 chicken nuggets for lunch, and popcorn with an instant breakfast for snack.

WatchingThemGrow
10-21-2009, 08:29 PM
This all makes me feel so much better, except that my own DD screams every time we get in the van, "Hey, pull over. I saw a Chick-Fil-A back there! I'm hungry! I need CFA now!" Nevermind the meal colorful, healthy meals/snacks we serve up at home 5x/day...