PDA

View Full Version : Lunch Box help needed...

hbridge
10-21-2009, 04:05 PM
DC has just started Kind. in Sept. and the lunch box is FILTHY. It's a Lands End Classmate and who know what is living in this thing. I wipe it out every day with disinfecting wipes (at least the main compartment), but it's soft and I'm finding it impossilbe to clean the snack area and the "fabric" part (never mind the mesh on the inside). I just called and LE customer service said to NOT submerse in water! Um, it's October and it's already filthy. I've tried spot cleaning and it DOES NOT WORK. DC is not a terribly messy kid, but they put these lunch boxes on the floor in the classroom and on the ground... Any suggestions on a workable way to clean it?

At this point I'm tempted to get rid of it and find something plastic. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much.

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I don't have that exact lunchbox, but a similar Thermos one (disney princess). I wash them in the sink (every other day or daily if needed) and definitely submerse them in hot soapy water and let them air dry on the rack. I don't use disinfectant wipes, I don't want chemicals near their food, KWIM?

crl
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
Sounds like it's not useable as is, so I'd go ahead and try soaking it in hot soapy water. If that doesn't work out, you might consider a nybuilt lunch bag. They are made of neoprene and can be washed in the clothes washer (air dry).

Catherine

egoldber
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
I throw Sarah and Amy's lunch boxes (from Disney store and LLBean) in the washing machine. They come out fine.

Nooknookmom
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
I throw Sarah and Amy's lunch boxes (from Disney store and LLBean) in the washing machine. They come out fine.

I was just going to say this. DD1 used to get limited too (now Justice) soft lunch boxes and they always went in the wash b/c they came home stinky and sticky.

hbridge
10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I've decided it's going through the dishwasher! It would probably be ruined in the washing machine, but it is too icky to keep this way. If it works I will do it every week or so. I'll let you know how it comes out...

egoldber
10-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Why would the washer ruin it? I think the washer is more gentle than dishwasher, which generally gets much hotter and uses harsher detergent.

crl
10-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Why would the washer ruin it? I think the washer is more gentle than dishwasher, which generally gets much hotter and uses harsher detergent.

Hmm, but if the washer was a traditional top loader with an agitator, it might be more likely to rip it? Dunno.

Catherine

egoldber
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
That's how I wash ours and it is fine. :)

hbridge
10-22-2009, 07:13 AM
It's seemed to come through the dishwasher fine. When it dries completely I will know more. I agree that the washing machine seems like a better option and will try that when it needs it again (in another week, I'm sure).

"Spot Clean" seemed strange when I bought it, but ALL the kids have these "soft sided" lunch boxes so there has to be a way...

almostmom
10-22-2009, 10:21 AM
I had trouble with those lunch boxes too, actually the LL Bean ones, but similar. I did soak them sometimes, because they smelled from bit of leaked milk. And I soaked them with Baking soda, which was the only thing that got the smell out.

We now use these:

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/acme-bagstrade-made-insulated-lunch-medium-p-1254.html

and they are great. I believe they can go in the laundry, and can definitely be soaked. They fit a lot of stuff too. My kids picked out colors they liked. They're not as cute as some other lunch boxes, but they are much better in my opinion. No gross corners to be filled with gunk.

This website also has a lot of other cute bags:

http://www.reusablebags.com/store/lunch-bags-more-kids-lunch-bags-c-4_36.html?osCsid=87f8ce95cdb242c53abb1de1b8f8f87e