PDA

View Full Version : H1N1 mist- how much do they need to inhale?

Laurel
10-21-2009, 06:08 PM
For the vax to be effective, how much needs to be inhaled? I took my kids to the first day of Kaiser's H1N1 flu shot clinic today and opted for the mist. It was a madhouse! My children were both crying and resisting the mist- they both got some on their faces, on the nurse, etc. They both definitely did inhale some, DD more so than DS. It was so crazy in there that I really couldn't get much info out of the nurses.

So did they probably get the dose they needed? Or do I need to worry?

I'm so frustrated! I finally made the decision to get the vax and to do the mist and now I have doubts that they even got it! Ugh.

Laurel
10-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok 67 views and no answers. I didn't think there was a question this board could not answer!

I have googled, read the package inserts, etc. No info on a partial/incomplete dose. I can't be the only one who this has happened to though, right?

DS has a routine doctor's appointment on Friday. I'll ask the ped what she thinks.

mama2g03
10-22-2009, 10:57 AM
DD is three and got her 1st H1N1 flumist two weeks ago. She wasn't crying or anything but did not inhale deeply by any means. The nurse and I noticed after each side was sprayed a drop of the vax dripped out. The nurse said she still got what she needed for it to be effective. Unless the nurse missed completely I'm sure they will be covered. Are you going back for the second dose? If so that would be extra assurance.

arivecchi
10-22-2009, 11:57 AM
Ugh. That sucks. Our nurse had me hold DS1 on my lap horizontally so that she could quickly squirt it in there because he was hystercial. If you are concerned, I would call the ped.