PDA

View Full Version : s/o: Christmas & b-day gifts for 3yo GIRL

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
Specifically, a girl that has everything? I am stumped. I am considering a 100 piece Magnatile set (they have many MTs at daycare, but I'm not sure if she plays with them). So far, legos/mega blocks, Tinkertoys and bristleblocks have had spotty success here. They get played with briefly, then strewn about the floor.

She has requested the AG Bitty Baby b-day set (http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/140846/itemType/TOY/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/97/saleGroupId/321), so we'll get her that for her b-day in January.

Other than that, nada. Can't think of a thing. HELP!

We have all things crafts already (easel, etc). We have books galore. We have enough Barbies to start our own toystore. We have Bitty Twins, Corolle dolls etc. Last year's big hit was the Rose Petal cottage and Cherry market. Frankly, I'd prefer something less HUGE. LOL.

citymama
10-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I just got DD the Haba Orchard game for the holidays - I find the Haba games make nice gifts. Does she have a lot of dress-up stuff from her big sis? Mine is crazy about that stuff too. An easel and art supplies? A scooter or big girl bike?

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:34 PM
We have a ton of wooden toys that get pretty much zero play.

We have soooo much dress up. sooo much. Crazy!

We have an easel (they share it -- sometimes!).

We have more bikes than a bike store. Sports equipment is definitely NOT needed here -- we have tons (and DD#2 will get hand me downs from DD#1). DD#1 has a Princess scooter and might get a Razor scooter for her 6th b-day in April (we'll see) -- then DD#2 would get the Princess 3-wheeled one.

new_mommy25
10-21-2009, 06:37 PM
I think Magnatiles are a great gift. :thumbsup:

For Christmas I bought my DD three gowns from Little Adventures and matching doll dresses (they would fit your DD's bitty twins). Target has a cute doll dress storage in their Just Like Me aisle that caught my eye recently.

Other things DD enjoys:

Playmobil

Doll House

Art supplies other than crayons or markers, etc. (rubber stamps and ink, colored or fancy paper (like glittery construction paper), origami paper, hole punches in the shapes of flowers etc., fancy stickers). DD has a special box she keeps all her treasure in.

Sanrio- DD is a huge Sanrio freak. She loves Hello Kitty stationary and writes notes to her friends and grandparents all the time. She loves her special pens (the glitter gel ones are awesome) and pencils. She keeps all her supplies in a Hello Kitty pencil box that closes with a lock and key (she loves that feature!).

Digital Camera (I think we have the FP)

new_mommy25
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
We have a ton of wooden toys that get pretty much zero play.

We have soooo much dress up. sooo much. Crazy!

We have an easel (they share it -- sometimes!).

We have more bikes than a bike store. Sports equipment is definitely NOT needed here -- we have tons (and DD#2 will get hand me downs from DD#1). DD#1 has a Princess scooter and might get a Razor scooter for her 6th b-day in April (we'll see) -- then DD#2 would get the Princess 3-wheeled one.

I think we posted at the same time! Why not get her something small just so she has something to open, and then do a really fun outing on her birthday? For DD's 3rd birthday we went to Disneyland so we went sparingly on the gifts (just 2 princess dress ups). You could book a night or two at a fun hotel (with a water slide) and do a super special dinner at one of her favorite spots. Or plan a family outing with a picnic lunch. Are there any cool places you've always wanted to take her?

AbbysMom
10-21-2009, 06:41 PM
My daughter is the same age (Jan. 07). She does not have everything (she's the oldest so we're starting from scratch) so I don't know if this is helpful but - we are getting a portable DVD player for the car so we'll get some dvd's. She and my younger daughter are getting play food and bath toys as joint gifts. Abby is getting into games now - she loves Boogle Jr. and I'm looking at Ebbo memory for life and haba orchard as other games. I might get her a Fancy Nancy sticker book and some Fancy Nancy dolls from Target. She loves a book called "Donut Chef" so she's getting that. In her stocking she's getting playdough, a Mary Poppins CD, baretts, and sunglasses. For her birthday, I'm thinking jewelry (like the kind from Gymboree that she would actually wear not necessarily "play jewelry.") Maybe a dollhouse... Not sure what else. Hope that helps!

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:43 PM
I think we posted at the same time! Why not get her something small just so she has something to open, and then do a really fun outing on her birthday? For DD's 3rd birthday we went to Disneyland so we went sparingly on the gifts (just 2 princess dress ups). You could book a night or two at a fun hotel (with a water slide) and do a super special dinner at one of her favorite spots. Or plan a family outing with a picnic lunch. Are there any cool places you've always wanted to take her?

LOL. We went to Maui for her b-day last year and to DL for DD#1's b-day last April. Kinda hard to top those!

The weather probably won't be condusive to a picnic (likely rainy and somewhat cold, possibly snow -- hope not!).

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:45 PM
My daughter is the same age (Jan. 07). She does not have everything (she's the oldest so we're starting from scratch) so I don't know if this is helpful but - we are getting a portable DVD player for the car so we'll get some dvd's. She and my younger daughter are getting play food and bath toys as joint gifts. Abby is getting into games now - she loves Boogle Jr. and I'm looking at Ebbo memory for life and haba orchard as other games. I might get her a Fancy Nancy sticker book and some Fancy Nancy dolls from Target. She loves a book called "Donut Chef" so she's getting that. In her stocking she's getting playdough, a Mary Poppins CD, baretts, and sunglasses. For her birthday, I'm thinking jewelry (like the kind from Gymboree that she would actually wear not necessarily "play jewelry.") Maybe a dollhouse... Not sure what else. Hope that helps!

Thanks -- its such struggle with the younger child. We have the portable DVD player and more DVDs than Blockbuster. Tons of board games.

New playdoh would be good. Add to stocking list...

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 07:14 PM
DH just em'd me. He wants to get both of them walkie talkies. Yeah, that's right up there with the stupid harmonica that he got DD#1 two weeks ago. AHHHH!

A "together" gift that I think is more "mommy's ears hurt" friendly is Crazy Forts. Anyone have them?

fivi2
10-21-2009, 07:20 PM
Calico critters
Tea set
playdough and accessories
personalized something (apron, chair, cape, towel, etc) since you mentioned that a lot of her stuff came from dd1.

One of my girls favorites last year - they each got a personalized photo album. I got super cheap ones at Michaels or somewhere and printed out pics of each - baby pics, disney pics, pics with relatives, etc. They ask me to talk about them all the time.

kristac
10-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Magic Cabin/Hearthsong has some fun stuff

Sand Play Tower
http://www.magiccabin.com/product.asp?section_id=0&department=0&search_type=normal&search_value=sand&cur_index=&pcode=1756

Connectagons- They have the standard sets as well as some theme sets: under the sea, butterflies, treetops, hearts, geometry...
http://www.magiccabin.com/productform.asp

Ball Track
http://hearthsong.com/product.asp?section_id=2006&department=1403&search_type=category&search_value=5306&cm_val=&cm_pos=&cur_index=&cm_type=&pcode=2609

Egads! good thing I have boys- girl toys are hard!!

egoldber
10-21-2009, 08:06 PM
I feel your pain.

My list for Amy so far includes.....

Magnatiles or Wedgits
pettiskirt
AG doll stroller
AG Bitty matching nightgown
doll cradle
slippers
pop-up book
Barbie doll

lizzywednesday
10-21-2009, 08:11 PM
We've given our niece (who's a touch older than your DD) Moon Sand for her last couple of Christmas and birthday gifts.

We also gave hair accessories (headbands) and fun socks from TCP (I am big on funky socks ... it's hard to only buy plain ones for myself!)

The year HS Musical 2 came out, we looked all over (including online) for a special-edition Sharpay doll (as our niece loves Sharpay) ... *sigh*

Other than that, I have few ideas.

I have a TON of trouble shopping for the nieces; gimme the nephew any day of the week!

AbbysMom
10-21-2009, 08:13 PM
One of my girls favorites last year - they each got a personalized photo album. I got super cheap ones at Michaels or somewhere and printed out pics of each - baby pics, disney pics, pics with relatives, etc. They ask me to talk about them all the time.

This is great! Adding it to my list - thanks for the idea!

catpagmo
10-22-2009, 12:20 PM
Here are some things from my list for DD:

the new Tinker Bell movie
Disney Fairies audiobooks
a sled
a blabla doll
jumbo cardboard blocks
kidishes
puzzles (especially the Lauri crepe puzzles)
dress up
Clifford leapster game

HTH!

brittone2
10-22-2009, 01:26 PM
You likely have a bunch of these already but DD has her 3rd bday right before Christmas and then of course we have Christmas to buy for.

Right now this is what she's getting (still determining how I'll divide it up)

Dollhouse and dolls (I am pretty sure you have this already)
Haba Sleeping Princess and the Pea game
Playmobil farm set (to share with her brother)
Playmobil pony farm set (from Costco, from my mom and dad)
possibly an individual trampoline. The kid loves to jump ;) and I won't buy a big outdoor trampoline (which is what I'm sure she'd really love LOL), so this is a compromise.
Maybe a puzzle or two (she loves puzzles)
Thinking about a playdoh burger making set (10-15 bucks at the big box stores) as she loves her some playdoh LOL. This would likely be a gift addresed to both her and DS.
Maybe a new doll. We have too many but she really, really loves babies.

Any fine motor stuff she'd like? DD is into that type of thing. When I get really stumped I tend to look through catalogs like ForSmallHands, etc. and that usually gives me some ideas. Or crazy catalogs like Chasing Fireflies (but obviously you can usually get the items in there for less $$ elsewhere if you can figure out the manufacturer).

DD's favs right now are magnatiles/duplo types of building toys, Playmobil with her big brother, and doll play. and anything horse related.

vonfirmath
10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
We've given our niece (who's a touch older than your DD) Moon Sand for her last couple of Christmas and birthday gifts.

I hope this was requested?

Moon Sand is one of those gifts I would not give a kid without passing it by their parents first. It is SO messy.

lizzywednesday
10-22-2009, 02:33 PM
I hope this was requested?

Moon Sand is one of those gifts I would not give a kid without passing it by their parents first. It is SO messy.

I always ask my S-I-L for a list of suggestions for the 2 youngest before their birthdays and Christmas. She gave the OK, so that's what I looked for.

If I were left to my own devices, I'd get books. Which don't go over well in DH's family. (His parents aren't exactly big readers.)

egoldber
10-22-2009, 02:50 PM
More in the animal/horse theme, we have a whole collection of Schleich, Papo and Safari animals. Amy and Sarah both adore them. Some of the most played with stuff in our house. I usually get each child one in their stocking.

Does she like things like pattern blocks? I am getting some magnetic sets of those too.

Aishe
10-22-2009, 04:48 PM
If the legos, tinkertoys, etc . . . have not been a big hit I would think twice about magnatiles. I got sucked in by all the magnatiles excitement here last Christmas, even though dd is not into building stuff at all. She likes them well enough, but they don't rock her world, kwim? We have to remind her to play with them, and she often enlists our help. Since they're so expensive I would have some apprehensions if I were you.

My dd is turning four in February and I am similarly stumped for Christmas/birthday gifts. I think I will probably just get her clothes/shoes and books, which feels kind of lame, but she loves them, so . . . I do agree with a pp's suggestion for personalized things. That kind of thing goes over pretty well here. Good luck!

ETA: You probably have these already, but dd *loves* her doctor's kit and big picture books about human anatomy. She also likes magnetic dress-up dolls.