PDA

View Full Version : Family (kid) Calendar Recommendations?

kayte
10-21-2009, 06:49 PM
DH is about to start traveling Monday -Thursday. I want to get a calendar so DD can mark the days until he is home. When he did it last year for 2 months I simply made a week on a large piece of paper and had is laminated. I think we are ready for a regular kid's calendar- to track approaching holidays and events.

It will most likely hang on the back of the door to our garage, if that matters.

Anyone recommend theirs?

sariana
10-21-2009, 06:53 PM
This isn't really what you're asking about, but our Target has small calendars in the dollar section. They are traditional calendars (cats, lighthouses, etc) but in a smaller size (maybe 8" x 8"?).

We have a dry-erase calendar on the bathroom mirror. It came with "clings" to mark special days, but I use the clings to hold it to the mirror. It is a poster-sized sheet, and we erase it and make a new one each month. We mark special days at school, birthdays, holidays, and anything else DS wants to note. He likes to X out the days.

ETA: Sorry, I forgot to mention I got the dry erase one at Staples. A teacher supply store might have cuter options.

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:55 PM
I have a large one (maybe 11x14?) from Costco. They have them every year -- Mommy calendar or Family Calendar or something like that. They are in with the books.

fivi2
10-21-2009, 07:10 PM
If you have a teacher supply store nearby, the pocket ones preschool or kinder teachers sometimes use are great. You change out the month name and days month to month. But you can add extras in the pockets - pictures of someone coming to visit, a cake for a birthday, things for holidays, seasons, etc. You can flip the numbers around or do something similar to mark the passing days. (I don't actually have one, but did when I taught, and want one now!)

kayte
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
If you have a teacher supply store nearby, the pocket ones preschool or kinder teachers sometimes use are great. You change out the month name and days month to month. But you can add extras in the pockets - pictures of someone coming to visit, a cake for a birthday, things for holidays, seasons, etc. You can flip the numbers around or do something similar to mark the passing days. (I don't actually have one, but did when I taught, and want one now!)

Like a pocket chart? Is there a specific calendar one or just use calendar parts in a pocket chart?

I had a fabric one (that used velcro) when I taught-it also had the weather and the season-- and I hated it. The pieces fell off constantly.

At school I switched to a set with a specific calendar for each month that were laminated and I just stapled the numbers to it each month. I actually checked out the teacher store a few weeks ago but all I saw were the ones where you changed the whole thing each month. Perhaps I need to go back and check the are with the pocket charts.

fivi2
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
Uhhh... did I mention it has been over a decade since I taught LOL :)

I mean it had pockets for the daysm and a big one for the month, etc. You do have to change it out every month. No velcro though...

Like this (just the first one I found, I don't know anything about this particular one!)

http://catalog.teachingsupplystore.com/bilingual_monthly_calendar_pocket_chart-p-17496.html?osCsid=1a52ba8d52db98e0b7b8f881426bd061

LD92599
10-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I just made one yesterday in Excel outlining the days from now until Christmas! I also just re-did our rewards chart, also in excel, to match what we're asking DS to do!

If anyone wants the excel files let me know and i'll email them!

Laura

infomama
10-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Dd1 loves to countdown to special days so I took her to a book store and let her pick out a regular flip wall calender that she liked. I didn't rush her, let her look at the back of each calender so she could choose the 'perfect one'. We spent some time putting event stickers (birthdays, Xmas, Easter, etc) on the calender and she thought that was so cool.
Works for us.