PDA

View Full Version : Would you send one DC to school/over to play with friends if you other DC had H1N1?

JMS
10-21-2009, 06:52 PM
I'm so livid at my consistently irresponsible (maybe wrong word) neighbor that I can barely type :(

bubbaray
10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Yes, I would send them to school if they had no symptoms. For a playdate, I would call and say the other child had H1N1, but playdate child had no symptoms (assuming that was true).

brittone2
10-21-2009, 06:58 PM
No, I would not. But I am one that tends to err on the side of telling our friends what is up. if one of our kids has a slight runny nose, slight cough, etc. but no fever, and we have a play date scheduled, I always give a heads up in advance and let them know there are no hard feelings if they'd rather reschedule. I appreciate others disclosing when they can as well...we often would opt to go anyway, but you know, we always get exposed or whatever without warning like right before a major holiday or a big vacation. So I appreciate knowing so I can have a heads up and make a decision from there. And that's pre-H1N1, kwim?

On the flip side, lots of kids who are school aged are still attending school even though their siblings are sick, etc. and there is no longer any recommended protocol that I'm aware of that those potentially exposed but not yet sick kids stay home. So most school aged kids (and kids in daycare, etc.) are exposed to others who are sick or who have a sick family member.

crl
10-21-2009, 07:02 PM
Yes, I would send them to school if they had no symptoms. For a playdate, I would call and say the other child had H1N1, but playdate child had no symptoms (assuming that was true).

Yes, this is what I would do. DH is sick more often than either me or DS. DS is actually sick the least. For example, I had some small stomach bug over the weekend. I was well in less than 24 hours. DH got sick Sunday and still isn't well. DS never did get it. This is really typical for us. So, I see no reason to keep DS home from school if he isn't sick. But I would likely warn potential playdates if another child in the home was sick (DS's an only at this point so it hasn't actually happened yet.)

Catherine

chinook
10-21-2009, 07:11 PM
I wouldn't. You can be passing the virus around a full 24 hours before symptoms start, so with H1N1, I would keep siblings at home.

MommyAllison
10-21-2009, 07:27 PM
No, I would not. But I am one that tends to err on the side of telling our friends what is up. if one of our kids has a slight runny nose, slight cough, etc. but no fever, and we have a play date scheduled, I always give a heads up in advance and let them know there are no hard feelings if they'd rather reschedule. I appreciate others disclosing when they can as well...we often would opt to go anyway, but you know, we always get exposed or whatever without warning like right before a major holiday or a big vacation. So I appreciate knowing so I can have a heads up and make a decision from there. And that's pre-H1N1, kwim?

:yeahthat:

alexsmommy
10-21-2009, 07:40 PM
No.
I have to be honest I thought you were asking if it was ok for you do to that and I was trying to think of a diplomatic way. As someone with a child with asthma, I'm doing what I can to minimize his chances of getting it. I can't avoid him going to school but I can avoid additional unnecessary exposure. I would hope others would have the same consideration.

tmarie
10-21-2009, 07:45 PM

That. My dd#2 has a suspected case of H1N1 this week. My dd#1 might have had it last week now that we consider what her mild symptoms were. Dd#1 is healthy and going to school every day this week. She has no symptoms, fever, etc..... I am telling everyone we're in contact with that dd#2 might have it, including dd#1's school. They have no problem with her attending. I would only send her on a playdate if the parent knew about the flu and still wanted to go forward.

tmarie

egoldber
10-21-2009, 07:59 PM

:yeahthat: No way I can keep one kid home if the other is sick. Well, I suppose I could keep Amy home, but Sarah can't miss school if she is not sick.

I would disclose the illness to the other parent and let them decide about the playdate.

I guess my opinion is they are all exposed at school anyway (assuming the child is in school), so I'm not sure what the difference is.

g-mama
10-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Playdate, probably not. Definitely not without telling the other parent, and probably would only even bother if the parent were a friend of mine; otherwise I'd just say no.

School? Yes. My other two kids had H1N1 10 days ago and my 3rd grader did not. He told his classmates at sharing time that his brothers had swine flu and people freaked. I heard thru the grapevine that some parents were upset that I sent my well son into school. I'm sorry, but he has so much freakin' homework as it is (whole 'nother story), I could not NOT send him to school *in case* he would catch it.

jacksmomtobe
10-21-2009, 08:28 PM
I would keep the sibling home from playdate even if they did not have symptoms. However I would send them to school. A playdate is a fun, optional activity.

Momof3Labs
10-21-2009, 09:41 PM
I would keep the sibling home from playdate even if they did not have symptoms. However I would send them to school. A playdate is a fun, optional activity.

:yeahthat:

Isn't swine flu incubation up to 2 weeks? No way could I keep a healthy child home from school for two weeks past the last date they might get sick from a sibling.

baileygirl
10-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I can understand a seemingly healthy child going to school...but not to your house where you have little ones.