PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what to get my twin DSs for their 4th b-day/special needs

SammyeGail
10-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I am a bit stumped as to what to get my boys for their birthday in a month. You would think as their mother I would know, lol! But due to special needs and speech delays they can't really tell me :). For other reason I cannot go into B&M stores and check things out, so I am hoping some mamas can help me.

Jonas has autism, he is very smart, is reading (early level) according to the director of his school. He does love to look at books, to study pics, etc. My sister is an elementary school librarian and we were stocked up on books for a while, but they have gotten torn, etc. I honestly don't know where to get books online for a good price.

Noah likes Clifford the big red dog right now, so I was going to get him a plush one. He wants a Big one, but he's not getting a $80 dog for a show thats just his phase right now, lol. He does like grown up things. We are teaching him how to use the laptop and he is in love, but we don't want him to break it. Some type of laptop thing (leapfrog?) he would like, with games, etc. I just don't know which one is the best.

He also likes tools, I thought of a workbench, but it takes up room. Noah is also very bad about loosing (he stashes things in the oddest places) little parts, like the big plastic screws, nails, etc. This could be a good toy for both of them, helping Jonas with his fine motor skills (:thumbsup:) but Noah gets so darn mad if Jonas is playing with something, anything they get new.

I could put away their little play kitchen (they haven't played with it in forever) and put in the workbench. Any recommendations of a good brand? I know I don't want that Handy Manny one, lol!

Also a good laptop type thing, with a decent screen. That will probably cost alot of money, right?

Where can I find books at a good price online, with a harder/thick cover? He likes classics, I got him 'The little train that could' and he loves it! Ebay sellers??

The major problem I have is Jonas likes to chew on things. Not anything, but he will chew on the plastic screws, the edges of books, he likes rubber and softer plastic. He has tried a little wooden hammer we have but he doesn't like it very much, but I do want to stay away from any wooden toys, especially with paint on them (like a wooden work bench, but that would be out of our budget).

Thanks for any advice, I am going thru alot of personal problems so any help I would be very grateful for.

Samantha

Swimfreak78
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
I love Usborne books plus if they get ripped torn they will fix them or replace them. They are a bit more expensive than traditional books -- but worth it IMO. In terms of a laptop -- what about getting a cheap used one off ebay or craigslist and loading games on it?

PS. Just found out that the Mill Stores sell playkitchens, toys, chairs, tables etc -- maybe they would have something for a workbench?

MamaMolly
10-21-2009, 08:05 PM
Have you looked at a Discovery Toys website? It is one of those sold-from-home things but I know you can place online orders. My local rep is happy to have me order online and drop them off, but you might have to go the traditional online ordering route. I suggest them because they have a variety of toys, and I think all of them have been catagorized for different special needs. The ones recommended for autism would be clearly marked. It would make choosing something a lot easier for you. I have also found several toys that I used to have in my classroom there, so they don't just sell *their* toys.

Sort Floor is also supposed to be good prices for books but I haven't tried it.

As for Clifford, IIWY I'd buy a smaller one and maybe make a paper-mache great big one for DS. As you said, that is a lot of $$$$ to spend on a toy that may be ignored in a matter of days, plus a big one to house. When he's done with the paper-mache one you can either toss it out, smash it like a pinata or stick it in recycling.

GL, I hope this helps.
eta: I just wanted to offer up a :grouphug: of support. I didn't have any real advice to offer in the BP, but I've been thinking of you. :kisscheek:

Pepper
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Three words: My First Craftsman! Look for them in Sears or KMart stores, or online. There is a big workbench, I think it retails for around $70. I skipped the workbench and instead got a 5-gallon plastic bucket and one of those "Bucket Boss" organizers at Home Depot, lol. So my son has a tool kit Just Like Daddy!

The rest of the toys are pretty reasonable in price, most of the drills, saws etc. are in the $12-15 range. A few of the bigger playsets will set you back 30 bucks or so.

My son is 3-1/2, also has speech and language delays. He has never really been interested on toys, but man he loves those tools. Unlike the Handy Manny ones, they look like mini versions of the real thing - so much so that friends are occasionally startled and rush to grab the power drill out of DS's little hand :-)

Gena
10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
Samantha,

Does Jonas have any Chewy Tubes? If not, you might want to get a few(not as a b-day gift, just as therapy items). For some kids, when you have objects that are designated for chewing you can redirect them from chewing on other stuff.

http://www.chewytubes.com/

Since Jonas is reading, are you using social stories with him? If so, I always recommend the Learning to Get Along series for young readers with ASD. They are great for teaching a variety of social skills in clear, easy to understand language and pictures.

http://www.freespirit.com/catalog/item_detail.cfm?ITEM_ID=509

Here are few things my DS (with ASD) got when he was 4:

A marble run (huge hit)
Puzzles
Art supplies
Bristle Blocks
Sensory items (squishy balls, bean bags, play-doh, etc.)

DS also got a few TRU gift cards from relatives. We saved them until he was about 4.5 and decided that he wanted a Leapster 2. (This was the first toy he ever specifically asked for.) He really enjoys the Leapster, although he will play it a lot for several weeks, then not touch it at all for a month or two, play it intensely for a few weeks, etc. DS has a lot of fine motor issues, so somethimes the Leapster gets frustrating and he needs help, but lately I've seen a big improvement in his skills with it. If Noah likes computer games this might be a good gift for him.

I hope that helps.

sariana
10-21-2009, 09:50 PM
If your boys are not in school, do you know anyone who has children their age in a preschool program? Scholastic has good quality books for good prices. Many preschool and even Mommy & Me programs send home the order forms about once a month. (DD is in an 18-month-old class, and they had age-appropriate order forms even for these little ones.)

I suggested a tunnel system to another poster. If your boys don't have one, I would recommend it. DS loves crawling through tunnels and tents, which he used to do in OT. (He's not eligible anymore--which is both great and disappointing.) It is a great sensory experience, and many of the systems fold up after use, so they are easy to store. (I say this based on their commentary. We don't actually have one, unfortunately.)

Are you a Costco member? Costco.com has some systems. So does Target.com. These stores are both pretty good about returns, too. Costco also has a tool set that looks pretty cool to me. I know Target carries some, too, and not just Handy Manny! :)

sste
10-21-2009, 10:17 PM
half.com has excellent prices on children's hardcovers. I also love sortfloorbooks.com but their search function can be a little cumbersome.

SammyeGail
10-21-2009, 10:21 PM
Samantha,

Does Jonas have any Chewy Tubes? If not, you might want to get a few(not as a b-day gift, just as therapy items). For some kids, when you have objects that are designated for chewing you can redirect them from chewing on other stuff.

http://www.chewytubes.com/

He has lots of chewy tubes and several other autism sensory chewy items, lol. Mentioning it did remind me I should get a z-vibe, I hope he reacts to the battery well. He doesn't like the 'kids' vibrating toothbrush with regular battary in it, but will go to town on my Oral-B. Oral-B should go into the market of making attachments for it for sensory needs, they sure would sell!!

I don't think he would be ready for the 'social' books yet, he is so innocent and almost like a new toddler inside, if that makes sense, but other things his age he is interested in, like he would be the tool bench. He is a little wonder!

I do have a big bag of bristle blocks! Jonas liked chewing on them, one day I just put them away. He is a massive chewer. Think of your baby teething at their worst and that phase when they put everything (plastic and rubber) in their mouth, then triple it, thats what I have!

So here goes my confession, my boys still use pacis. It was a 'safety plug' for Jonas, so Noah had to have one. (Neither have one right now!) I lost my mother so that threw everything off, I am now trying to address my health problems, get better for my boys and move forward with my life!!

SammyeGail
10-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Scholastic has good quality books for good prices.

I suggested a tunnel system to another poster. If your boys don't have one, I would recommend it.

Are you a Costco member? Costco.com has some systems. So does Target.com.

No Costco in our city :(, they would do very well here.

I would need a good tunnel system, they have almost shreaded their tent, lol, but that is an awesome idea for both boys! One of those long tunnels I used to see at OT, I know what you mean, last Christmas I bought a cuddle swing they used at OT. It was alot of work to reinforce it with 2X4s on the ceiling attached to the attic boards, lol!

I'll look at Scholastics, Jonas likes to look at books of TV programs he's watched, he'd rather look at the book than watch the program, lol!

Pls keep idea coming!! DH thinks we should go to bookstores to get books, he hates ordering online, complaines about me doing it but he sure loves the Keens I got him.....(huge eye rolling here), he's on my bad list right now.

Sam

mariza
10-21-2009, 11:22 PM
sortfloorbooks.com has great prices on books, but I agree with PP, the search function is awful! If I don't know exactly what I want then I look around the Barnes and Noble website for ideas, then I just cut & paste the ISBN # or author name into the sortfloorbooks.com site to see if they have it.

ett
10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
bookcloseouts.com sells overstock books and their search function is much better than sortfloorbooks.

Scholastic does have cheap books, but they are frequently paperbacks so they would not hold up as well as paperbacks.

tiapam
10-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Anything you get for your boys will be special because it's from you! I wouldn't worry about quantity, just try to get what you most want them to have. You can always get them other things throughout the year.

Do you know about this program that sends free books to kids:

Tennessee specific link:
http://www.governorsfoundation.org/index.php

Link to Dolly Parton's Imgaination Library:
http://www.dollysimaginationlibrary.com/howworks.php

It sounds like your boys would still get books for a year, and you would get two copies, so chewing might not be such a big deal if they each have their own. You might even try to get their enrollment extended due to the special needs.

Is signing a part of J's therapy? I have an extra copy of the Signing Time Happy Birthday episode on DVD. If you PM me with your address I will send it to you in the mail. I think it is something the whole family can enjoy together.

Hugs to you.